Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Got my new 55" RPTV and need a lil' help

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-26-04, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is some simple stuf.

I have a non progresive DVD player that is about 5 years old but still has a good picture and is a quality machine. I set the DVD player to Wide Screen mode and then I set my aspect ratio on the TV to Standard 480i (the only choice besides 4x3 or streatch/focus modes) the picture looks great !!! I am pretty sure this is a progresive image from the TV's chip but why does it say 480i should it not say 480p ?

Another thing is I ran the THX test to make sure the ws ratios were set correctly. It is the test with the circle inside a rectangle. The circle looked fine but you can not see. the top and bottom of the rectangle??? Is this what is know as overscan?

thnx
Old 01-26-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 480i indicates what signal is being fed to the TV but you'll always have a 480p signal displayed since either the TV or the DVD player will do the deinterlacing. Yes the lines are not visible due to overscan and can be fixed in the service menu.
Old 01-26-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Got my new 55" RPTV and need a lil' help

Originally posted by Bagheera
This is some simple stuf.

I have a non progresive DVD player that is about 5 years old but still has a good picture and is a quality machine. I set the DVD player to Wide Screen mode and then I set my aspect ratio on the TV to Standard 480i (the only choice besides 4x3 or streatch/focus modes) the picture looks great !!! I am pretty sure this is a progresive image from the TV's chip but why does it say 480i should it not say 480p ?

Another thing is I ran the THX test to make sure the ws ratios were set correctly. It is the test with the circle inside a rectangle. The circle looked fine but you can not see. the top and bottom of the rectangle??? Is this what is know as overscan?

thnx
Point #1 - The display od 480i as opposed to 480p is just the HDTV telling you the type of signal it is receiving from the DVD player not what the HDTV itself is displaying.

Point #2 - Yes you are seeing the results of overscan which is normal and should be around 5% on the sides and top & bottom.
Old 01-26-04, 11:25 PM

Should I even bother trying to adjust the overscan or are we talking just mm. of the picture that im not seeing?
Old 01-26-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bagheera
Should I even bother trying to adjust the overscan or are we talking just mm. of the picture that im not seeing?
As long as your overscan is around 5% (normal) I would leave it as is. If you have AVIA (or can borrow/rent it) use it to see how much overscan you have.

Also, until you use a calibration DVD be sure to turn the contrast down to around 40% and brightness to around 50% to avoid any burn-in problems. Also don't worry if your convergence drifts a lot (within reason that is) as this is normal the first 2-3 months until the CRT's break in.