Community
Search

More anime question: This time, Gundam

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
More anime question: This time, Gundam

I'm a big fan of Voltron and I picked up the new Robotech Remasters (I've never seen an episode).

A friend at work said that given the above I'd probably like Gundam. Since anime has more of a storyline than American cartoons, I'd like to start in a logical place.

Can you guys reccommend some good DVDs to get me started? Are there even any?
Old 01-26-04, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on what you are in to, these examples are if your into mechs

Mobile Suit: gundam is good
Neon Genesis Evangelion - is awesome IMO

If you can tell us what type of anime you're willing to try we can give you more suggestions

there are some classics like Voltes V and Daimos, but I don't think you can get them in Region 1
Old 01-26-04, 10:47 AM

I liked Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories & Gundam 08th MS team

There are many different Gundam Series some are good and some suck. Go to any place that sells DVD's like dvd planet and do a search on Gundam. I would recommend trying to rent some of them first to see if you like the series.

Also Eva was Great but the ending sucked IMHO
Old 01-26-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Kazuma05
It depends on what you are in to, these examples are if your into mechs

Mobile Suit: gundam is good
Neon Genesis Evangelion - is awesome IMO

If you can tell us what type of anime you're willing to try we can give you more suggestions

there are some classics like Voltes V and Daimos, but I don't think you can get them in Region 1
Tough question. I had no anime until I purchased Robotech. The best thing I can say is that I like stuff like Robotech and Voltron (and Transformers if they can be considered anime).

I guess I like things with fighting Robots
Old 01-26-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd stay far from Neon Genesis Evangelion as you can. Sure there are some giant robots but the series is famous for the 'screw with your head & you have no idea what is happing' formula.

It also gets a lot of its fame for being people's first few anime series they saw and it was very different then the US cartoons they are used to. Since it was their first, they tend to praise it no matter what.

For battling robots, Orguss 02 is good (some weird stuff but not much). Mazinkaiser is a sequel to Mazinger/ Tranzor Z.
Old 01-26-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Evangelion is only a "big robot show" up until about episode 16, then it turns into a completely different show...for the better IMO.

If you want to watch a spoof of big robot anime check out Martian Successor Nadesico. Great stuff!
Old 01-26-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I prefer Gundam Wing out of all the Gundams... just couldn't get into the animation of the older ones.
Old 01-26-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
I recommend the Escaflowne Series and the Movie.
Old 01-26-04, 05:45 PM

Is it just me, or are people misunderstanding the question? He didn't ask for giant robot show recommendations, he asked where he should start with Gundam.

The answer depends on a few things. First of all, do you prefer watching anime dubbed or subtitled? The original Mobile Suit Gundam is available in two formats, neither of which are perfect. The original 43-episode TV series (with one episode removed at the request of the original creator) is available dubbed-only, on 10 DVDs. After the series wasn't a huge success in Japan when it aired in 1979, it was soon reworked into 3 movies that feature some new animation as well. These movies are available subtitled-only, either as individual discs or in a box set.

The original series / movie trilogy of Mobile Suit Gundam was followed by another series, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, which is being released in the US this year. Then follows the Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta series (or something like that - I'm not expert on this subject), which has yet to be released in R1. Then there's the movie Char's Counterattack, which is available.

There are also various short OVA series, which are set in the same universe as the main series (the Universal Century chronology), but don't involve the same characters, and can be watched on their own. Because of their newer animation and their shorter length, you might want to start with one of these instead. They are Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, and Gundam 08th MS Team.

Alternatively, you might watch one of the alternate universe series. Gundam Wing is very popular (although many hardcore Gundam fans don't seem to like it), and is available in a box set, although you might prefer to get the individual discs, since it'd be a lot to spend on a series you might not like. G-Gundam is very different to other Gundam series, and probably isn't a very good place to start. None of the other AU series are available on R1 DVD.

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 01-28-04 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 06:12 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

And keep an eye on toonami, they show different Gundam series now and then.
Old 01-26-04, 06:20 PM

I second Escaflowne. Great series and it'll keep u watching until the very end. Some good mech fighting (Guymelefs or whatever they're called) Go get it now!
Old 01-26-04, 06:41 PM

For Gundam, I would start with Gundam Wing. I think that its the most entertaining. It might not have as much depth, but I like the animation, and the plot is good enough to move well to the action scenes.

If you are just getting into Anime, think about subscribing to somthing like Netflix where you can get a decent selection of anime and can quickly "catch" youself up on all older ones.

-Z-
Old 01-26-04, 07:24 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watch out there will be a price drop on some Bandai DVDs including some Gundams and Escaflowne:

http://www.bandai-ent.com/news/pr.cfm?id=67
Old 01-27-04, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Skull
I second Escaflowne.
I recommend Escaflowne as well - it's an incredibly good show. I still don't see the relevance to the original post, though ^^;
Old 01-27-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I may just stick with Robotech and see if I really enjoy the genre. I'm not even sure I remember how much I liked Voltron
Old 01-28-04, 03:26 AM

Stay away from Gundam Wing. It IMO is the worst anime of all time.

The best Gundam is Zeta and it should come out sometime this year.

Evangelion and Escaflowne are must sees. I also recommend RahXephon and Macross Plus.
Old 01-28-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gundam 08th MS, Gundam 0083, Gundam 0080... all good. You should watch them all, but you should probably watch them in that order. I think 0080 might be my favorite, but it's the events of the Zeon War from the point of view of a civilian child. I could never really get into the original MS Gundam, although I love Macross.

Haven't seen any others, though.

Thought Evangelion sucked hard. Didn't care much for Macross Plus. Really liked Escaflowne.