Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Far too many "skip it" DVDs being reviewed

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 01-26-04, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

maybe it's just me but DVDtalk should review less of these (say 1 per day) and start reviewing better titles
Old 01-26-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Well, we don't necessarily know that a movie-slash-DVD is awful until we see it. I would have thought there would be more complaints about reviews skewing positive since for the most part, the writers choose what they review. It's not a rating I personally use very often, popping up ten times in the past year. I usually have to be pretty disappointed to resort to it, but if I feel it's deserved... I'd love to have nothing but glowing reviews of phenomenal movies/DVDs, but not all of the product out there on store shelves is stellar.

Different reviewers also have different approaches to what those labels mean. I tend to look at "Rent It" not as meaning "hey, you should go out and rent this" so much as "if you're interested, you'd probably be better off with a rental". What I would use as "Rent It" would likely be another reviewer's "Skip It".
Old 01-26-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Far too many "skip it" DVDs being reviewed

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
maybe it's just me but DVDtalk should review less of these (say 1 per day) and start reviewing better titles
I think we'd be better off if movie studios released less DVDs that were worthy of the "Skip It" rating.
Old 01-26-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all subjective - for instance, I'd recommend And Now Ladies and Gentlemen for a rental. I thought there was a lot to like in the film & dvd but it got a 'skip it'.
Old 01-27-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One persons's "skip it" is another person's "must buy". Reviews are so subjective, and differences of opinion are what makes them interesting.

In the case of the aforementioned "And Now Ladies and Gentlemen", I saw the film theatrically, it made my Top 10 for 2003, and I now own the DVD.
Old 01-27-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by rkndkn
One persons's "skip it" is another person's "must buy". Reviews are so subjective, and differences of opinion are what makes them interesting.
Exactly.
Old 01-28-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Far too many "skip it" DVDs being reviewed

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
I think we'd be better off if movie studios released less DVDs that were worthy of the "Skip It" rating.
Gotta agree with that.
Old 01-28-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Feedback Forum.

- David Stein
Old 01-28-04, 11:25 AM
Registered

Our goal is to be as extensive in our coverage of DVDs as we can. There are literally hundreds of titles you'll only find reviewed on DVD Talk as many of the other sites out there just cherry pick the releases and review the top 10 or 15 DVDs in a given month.

Also, the recent 'wave' of skip its, is probably more reflective of an effort to clean out our backlog towards the end of the year than anything else. For the curious here's the breakdown of the %age of reviews in each rating:

All Reviews By Summary Rating
# Review Type Views
1. Skip It 9.95%
2. Rent It 27.64%
3. Recommended 37.53%
4. Highly Recommended 21.07%
5. DVD Talk Collector Series 3.81%