TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman is not funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 06:45 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Letterman is not funny

Everytime I see the David Letterman on TV, I'm always thinking "why are the people in the audience laughing?". The guy is just not funny and the humor seems so dry? I'm surprised how long he's actually lasted on TV.
Old 01-24-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that's your opinion and I guess you're entitled to it. But IMO, that's blasphemy. I think Letterman's humour is a little hit or miss now but I still think he's pretty funny. (Maybe not Conan funny but he's still pretty good)
Old 01-24-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, I don't find Letterman funny. Nor Leno. Leno is more annoying in my opinion, but they both are pretty bad. I actually think Jimmy Kimmel is not annoying on his talk show, which is surprising because I couldn't stand him on the man show. I was ready to hate his new show, but I find myself laughing a lot.

Conan is the king, though.
Old 01-24-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well... that's just like... your opinion, man.

Seriously, Letterman is easily the funniest host on TV... has been for all my life. I didn't give him a fair enough chance when i started watching late night programming about 10 years ago. But after I watch Leno casually for a few months, I gave Dave another shot and was appalled that I'd been missing out for so long. I haven't turned back since.
Old 01-24-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know that it's my own opinion, you don't have to try and convince me of that.
Old 01-24-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seantn
Chill Pablo, he's just using a good-natured quote from "Big Lebowski". And I love having Letterman on my set. Really ties the room together, man.
Old 01-24-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dave hasn't been funny since he left NBC. I don't know. Maybe it's his age and the fact that he doesn't take risks anymore. I'll watch Leno over Dave but Conan tops them all right now.
Old 01-24-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Late night talk shows, especially Dave and Jay, are like religion, you pick yours and you stick with it, you just don't see why anyone would pick the other.
Old 01-24-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Seantn
It's a strong statement. Perhaps if the original poster titled this "I don't find david letterman funny" then perhaps it would have been less bold then how it come out as. Either way, someone's brand of comedy is there own and your sense of humor may vary, but to publicly announce it like that for no other reason other then to get some attention, well you might aswell just go say the statement to the wall.

compared to Leno, Letterman is beyond funny. Compared to Conan, both of them can be canned for all I car. Give me my four days a week conan fix and I'll be happy.
Old 01-24-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who must die?

Paul must die.
Old 01-24-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't go so far as to say he is not funny at all, but he is not very funny.
Old 01-24-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most people either really enjoy Letterman, or they don't. I'm in the first group. I think you have to enjoy that type of humor, and some people just don't. Some people say he appeals to a more discerning group, while Leno plays the lowest common denominator card. I used to feel that way, but I don't think thats really true either. My mom thinks he's great, my dad doesn't. It's just a preference. I like Letterman, and I don't care much about the ratings, as long as he stays on.
Old 01-24-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
If Letterman is unfunny, Leno must be a hemorrhoid (painful and irritating). But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-24-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have never found Letterman all that entertaining, if he didn't laugh at his own jokes the audience wouldn't know when to laugh. That and the fact that he used to be frank with guests. If their movie sucked, he would tell 'em and ask what the hell they were thinking. Now he is just an ass kisser that seems to enjoy everything about every guest that graces his show.

I have to say Norm Macdonald hit the nail on the head in the SNL skit.

...huh...huh... d'ya want some gum?
Old 01-24-04, 10:33 PM

The monologue can certainly get a little tedious, but IMO Dave is still the funniest nighttime talk show host of all time. Now Conan, there's one unfunny bastard.
Old 01-24-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
He was much better after The Late Show. And I was much more tired. Hmmmm, maybe a connection there.
Old 01-24-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've often wondered why people laugh at Letterman. While his Top 10 list concept was ground-breaking in comedy, he seems like he's just going through the motions on it anymore. They're not funny. They're just not. I can watch Leno occasionally, but I don't think I've EVER laughed at Letterman. And Paul is annoying. Like a gnat.
Old 01-24-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only host i actually like watching for being a host is Conan.
Old 01-24-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I think Letterman is quite funny, certainly much more so than Leno. There is a reason his show wins Emmy after Emmy....
Old 01-24-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I've been asking this question for years. I haven't seen Letterman that much in the past few years, but when I do, I am always reminded why I don't watch his show.
Old 01-25-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by SunMonkey
I think Letterman is quite funny, certainly much more so than Leno. There is a reason his show wins Emmy after Emmy....
I just wish I knew that reason.
Old 01-25-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mister Beefhead
Now Conan, there's one unfunny bastard.
I'm glad someone else thinks that, too.
Old 01-25-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dave's the best. When you all have your threads of best tv shows on currently, all-time, last 10 years and such, I don't include talk-shows or reality shows, but when Dave is no longer doing his talk show, I will be very depressed and probably watching very little TV.

I don't really remember nights without him and I can't imagine not having him on at 10:30pm.

Funny I meet younger people who love Conan, who I just don't see because I usually go to bed after Dave, and Conan has admitted that Letterman was his biggest influence in comedy and I'm pretty sure I've heard the same from Stewart.

They've both just sort of modified his style of humor to fit their own style and the different times, but I see the success of both having a lot to do with Letterman being on in the first place.
Old 01-25-04, 02:13 AM
Suspended

He used to be funny, but now (and admitedly I havent seen him in years) Letterman just seems bitter and angry. Ever since he left NBC, he's gone downhill.
Old 01-25-04, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I'm the only one at dvdtalk who likes Jay Leno. Letterman is not funny. Conan is decent but I dont understand the worship.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.