Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade - Can we just put this franchise out of it's misery

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw Pics for another Blade movie, while I enjoyed the first one enough, I thought the second was so bad it was just LAUGHABLE. I was not even aware of the second one making all that much at the box office. Does Wesley Snipes even get offered movie roles anymore (other than Blade)?

Now I can understand a studio wanting to make a sequel from a big blockbuster movie, but lately it seems we are being inundated with sequels of films that really did not seem to perform all that great at the Box Office.

This doesnt just go for Blade, Alien is another that comes to mind. I loved the first two movies, but did the 3rd and 4th really make all that much money? What about Halloween? Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th? Though I know the Freddy Vs Jason movie did pretty well.

Do these movies perform incredibly later on in the Video market or something?
Old 01-24-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am with your stand point rush, I enjoyed the first one a great deal. The second one was just awful, which I expect this third one to be as well.

I say give the franchise a rest. Wait for a Ghost rider flick to come out, then perhaps make a midnight suns flick.. but then again, that is just a pipe dream and I am expecting the ghost rider flick to bomb as well.
Old 01-24-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
The first was great, and the second was just OK. You know why they continue to do those flicks? Because they make shitloads of money for New Line. The first cost about $45 million to make and made over $70 million. I'd be willing to bet it made a pretty penny in the DVD market as well. The second one cost $55 million and made over $80 million, and again probably made a tidy sum in DVD rentals and sales.

I think this one has the potential to be better, as the plot line I have read about seem more interesting than the 2nd flick.
Old 01-24-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
First one was great, second one was even better. The Blade movies have been my favorite comic book movies. Awesome style and atmosphere in both. In fact, i'm saddened that Snipes said this would be the last Blade movie. Looking forward to the third one going out with a bang. And like Deftones said, both made quite a good amount of money, so while you didn't like it, obviously quite a few people did
Old 01-24-04, 01:15 PM
Banned

I'm shocked by Rushmore and Jack's comments. Blade 2 is better than the first, and a VERY good action flick. I love it.
Old 01-24-04, 01:22 PM
Banned

Blade was awesome...Blade II I thought was just tremendous fun! Loved it to death and am eagerly awaiting Blade Trinity...whens it come out again?

Blade: A Horror movie with action elements
Blade II: A action movie with Horror elements
Blade Trinity: All sorts a ass-kicking!
Old 01-24-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the premise behind the third film sounds much more interesting than the plot of the second, so I'm pretty open for a third Blade film.

Last edited by Corvin; 01-24-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd see it for Jessica Biel.
Old 01-24-04, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Pants
I'm shocked by Rushmore and Jack's comments. Blade 2 is better than the first, and a VERY good action flick. I love it.
You really felt this was better? I felt it was regurgitated and unimaginitive. I also hated how they brought back Kritoffersons character, might have been more interesting if Kristofferson had come back as a vampire that Blade had to take out. Oh well, I am obviously in the minority.
Old 01-24-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Where did all the hate for Blade2 come from?

When it hit the theaters, respose seemed to be generally positive.

The first one is better, but the second one is by no means bad.
Old 01-24-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've enjoyed both films, look forward to the third. I do hope the end it before it gets played.
Old 01-24-04, 02:47 PM

second was far superior. action was straight out of a comic book. the third should great also. i loved luke goss as nomak in the second film.
Old 01-24-04, 03:06 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The first one was decent - the second was just plain bad. It was typical action film where they bring in a bunch of interesting characters and all are just cannon fodder. I guess better action equates to bigger body count in some people's minds. And I could have also done without the wrestling moves.

Since Snipes is a producer on this he'll no doubt keep making these till one really bombs.
Old 01-24-04, 03:08 PM

The first one was pretty bad. Blade 2 was at least entertaining. I'm actually interested in 3, because of the people involved (Biels, Posey, Reynolds).
Old 01-24-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by beefjerky
The first one was pretty bad. Blade 2 was at least entertaining. I'm actually interested in 3, because of the people involved (Biels, Posey, Reynolds).

No mention of HHH?
Old 01-24-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Blade is the superior film. But Blade 2 is enormously entertaining. Vampires getting the crap beaten out of them left and right. I'm looking forward to the director of the second films next movie, Hellboy in April.

And I'm looking forward to part 3 also. Even though they have a first time director, they've got some Biel and more violence...I'm in.
Old 01-24-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't like the stupid wrestling moves and the super "so fast camera you can't see the action that well" in Blade 2, but it was alright.
Old 01-24-04, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
No mention of HHH?
I'm hoping there aren't any ridiculously stupid wrestling moves in 3.
Old 01-24-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Some publicity pics...

right here
Old 01-24-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I loved Blade when I first saw it but have liked it progressively less with each viewing (the movie really loses momentum towards the middle and never quite regains it, though not from lack of trying) to the point that it's bored me to death the last time I saw it.

Blade 2 was terrible but mercifully short which kept me from suffering too much. (Dying to see Hellboy though).

Blade: Trinity seems promising so I'll keep an open mind and reserve judgement until I've seen more.
Old 01-24-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I wished I looked this good at his age.

Old 01-24-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I like the first one a lot, but I enjoyed the sequel even more. I am looking forward to Trinity because of the interesting cast - can't wait to see how the story and the cast pan out.
Old 01-24-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Giantrobo thanks for the link, I am now VERY much looking forward to this movie. Granted we wont get Morbious but Hannibal King? OOOHHHHHH YEAH! I always loved the dynamic between Blade and King, you got a guy who has made it his duty to kill vampires while working along side one it was just kick ass.
Old 01-25-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally posted by zero
Giantrobo thanks for the link, I am now VERY much looking forward to this movie. Granted we wont get Morbious but Hannibal King? OOOHHHHHH YEAH! I always loved the dynamic between Blade and King, you got a guy who has made it his duty to kill vampires while working along side one it was just kick ass.

No problem.

I like the series and couldn't care less what others around here think.

The new movie looks like it may be very interesting. Even in the first movie Whistler mentioned that there were "Others" in the fight against the Vampires. So his daughter and her group of slayers being in the last Blade flick is cool.
Old 01-25-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Blade 2 kicked the crap out of the first film and I hope Trinity will do the same to Blade 2. I love the action and fun these films bring together fused with the horror element... I can't wait for the third which I think looks excellent.

mATT

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.