Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What is D-VHS and will it replace the current DVDs

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a new member and I recently read a review from Herc on Aintitcoolnews.com. He said that he has stopped buying DVDs because soon this new technolgy will blow it out of the water. I was a little susppious and have been unable to find much information on this "new format" D-VHS.

If any members know any thing please reply, I think other members would be interested.

Thanks
Old 01-24-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
A Google search turned up this and a lot of other links:
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...r/D-VHS-e.html

Sounds like more of a replacement for a VCR with digital broadcast tv. Not sure it is better thab dvd. It is still tape that wears out and breaks, is sequential etc. Might or might not compete with TIVO to record shows.
Old 01-24-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It has been around for well over a year (maybe two) and by all reports it is better than DVD. Widescreen Review covers it thoroughly and reviews everything that comes out. There are a very limited number of titles available.

But there is no way it will replace DVD as people want discs, not tapes. HD-DVD will eventually replace DVD.
Old 01-24-04, 04:15 PM

D-VHS uses the same VHS sized tape but records HiDef video using a new JVC created Codec that will be the basis for the HDV Camcorders coming this year. It's not going to do any damage to DVDs because HD-DVD will be here within 3 years which will offer the same quality.
Old 01-24-04, 05:28 PM

Here's a review from a guy at another forum that bought a JVC D-VHS.
Careful..........you may want to go buy one!
Old 01-24-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by emoxley
Here's a review from a guy at another forum that bought a JVC D-VHS.
Careful..........you may want to go buy one!
Where?
Old 01-24-04, 11:37 PM

LOL............Oh man! I can't believe I did that!!!!!! It's embarrassing!
here it is:

http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/vi...ht=confessions

sorry 'bout that!
Old 01-25-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I've seen/heard a D-VHS setup at Tom Nousaine's house (a S&V editor), and can say that is leaps and bounds beyond DVD quality. 1080i for the video and DD 5.1 sound. The obvious downfall, as stated in earlier threads, is it is still a tape, and thus will never replace DVD. However, if you have the $$$ for it, it makes for great demo material.
Old 01-27-04, 10:21 AM

Whoa...I feel a little better but that HD-DVD ia worrying me...I will definately be limiting my purchases.

thanks again
Old 01-27-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by thesaint
Whoa...I feel a little better but that HD-DVD ia worrying me...I will definately be limiting my purchases.

thanks again
Why limit your purchases because a new format is coming down the road? There will always be a new format coming or a some kind of better thing to hold off on. Buy what you want and like and upgrade if needed. There are still movies out on VHS that we're still waiting to see on DVD and they might never get released to DVD. So when HD DVD comes out there stands a good chance that even more won't make it to the new format. Also keep in mind that the lower resolution will help to hide the imperfections of older films. Do you really think increasing the resolution on a 30 year or more film is going to make it look better? Unless major restoration work is done many of these just won't see an improvement in HD.
Old 01-27-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chipmac
Why limit your purchases because a new format is coming down the road? There will always be a new format coming or a some kind of better thing to hold off on. Buy what you want and like and upgrade if needed. There are still movies out on VHS that we're still waiting to see on DVD and they might never get released to DVD. So when HD DVD comes out there stands a good chance that even more won't make it to the new format. Also keep in mind that the lower resolution will help to hide the imperfections of older films. Do you really think increasing the resolution on a 30 year or more film is going to make it look better? Unless major restoration work is done many of these just won't see an improvement in HD.
What chipmac said.
Old 01-27-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope the new HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible and play all DVD's even if they have to have multiple lasers. This would make the transition so much easier, buy new player keep old collection and add new titles as they are released in HD-DVD. I also hope they pick ONE format and stick with it.
Old 01-27-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For the most part (recent technological advancements in digital video filmmaking notwithstanding), movies are about film and how the photochemical presentation elicits a particular response. There is a warmth, an almost organic feel to a film presentation that has been virtually impossible for a video format to convey. Even the very best laserdisc was still "just video".
I hate hearing/reading crap like this - next he will start talking about the wonders of records, ray tubes and $5000 neddles.
Old 01-28-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jasonr114
I hate hearing/reading crap like this - next he will start talking about the wonders of records, ray tubes and $5000 neddles.
I don't know. I pretty much agree with his comments. Video has a sterile look that looks too clean. Sure they can use digital filters to try and make it look like film but then it's not organic like he says. Directors often use film grain, use a certain film stock or developing process to provide a distinct look to their film that can't be done with video. To me movie making is an art form and film or video is a choice that the director needs to decide on just like oil paint, pencil drawing or digital computer art but I perfer the look of film myself over video for movies.
Old 01-28-04, 08:37 AM

jasonr114..........
As far as the wonders of records...............have you ever heard a record?
There is nothing on the planet that sounds better than an album that's in GOOD CONDITION. Nothing..........
People are starting to realize this, again. That's why albums are making a comeback! Of course, if you don't take care of them, and they get scratched, the noise will make you cringe............
Old 01-28-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by emoxley
jasonr114..........
As far as the wonders of records...............have you ever heard a record?
There is nothing on the planet that sounds better than an album that's in GOOD CONDITION. Nothing..........
People are starting to realize this, again. That's why albums are making a comeback! Of course, if you don't take care of them, and they get scratched, the noise will make you cringe............
yes I have.
Old 01-28-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jasonr114
That's some harsh words man... maybe you need to hear a setup made for records to change your views. And I agree with everything emoxley said.
Old 01-29-04, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I purchased a JVC DVHS refurb for $300.
Pretty impressive stuff.
Old 01-29-04, 12:20 PM

JVC makes pretty impressive stuff. The price is good too for what you get.
JVC invented VHS. They also invented the first HD recorder with the D-VHS. They invented the first High Definition camcorder, for use by the public.
Their receivers have a lot of features and inputs, for the price. Most people don't give JVC the credit they deserve...........

No, I don't work for them.
I just like their stuff.
Old 01-29-04, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Well, the reason there are so many JVC DVHS refurbs around is that they all failed. The first run of them were complete duds.
That's fine with me because I reaped the benefits of that.

You think the new Alien DVD looks good? How about the same transfer in 1080i? Sweet.