Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which band would have been greater if it had stayed together:GUNS n ROSES or NIRVANA?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Which could have been a better band?
Nirvana
52.87%
Guns N Roses
21.84%
They both had reached their peaks, I wouldn't expect anything greater if they had stayed together.
24.14%
Other answer (please specify)
1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Which band would have been greater if it had stayed together:GUNS n ROSES or NIRVANA?

Old 01-23-04, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking back at the early nineties, I see these two great bands which could have been greater if they had lasted a little longer together.

Concentrating on ONLY Nirvana and Guns N Roses, which of the two could have been better?
Old 01-23-04, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GNR by a billion miles.
Old 01-23-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guns N' Roses by far. Appetite For Destruction & Use Your Illusions are 3 of the best CDs in rock. Their other 3 CDs ain't bad either.
Old 01-23-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
But, but, but, GNR are still together, aren't they? Aren't they?

I voted for Nirvana, who showed more talent over three albums than most bands ever do. GNR had a handful of good songs and a lot of cheese, but Nirvana's music IMHO was far more "real" and rocked harder than GNR ever did.
Old 01-23-04, 06:41 PM
Suspended

I'm sorry but around that time you couldnt rock harder than Appetite for Destruction.
Old 01-23-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
... All I'm sure about is that NIRVANA's Double Album after "In Utero" was gonna be FK'n Amazing...

Old 01-23-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nirvana. Loved both bands, but Nirvana were WAY more spontaneous and thus more able to adapt easier to keep up with the times. Kurt was pretty varied in his tastes (pop, noise, acoustic, punk, metal). Axl was not (metal, acoustic, ballads).

GnR had too many cheesy ballads. Axl's too much of a perfectionist and a mental case. That's why it's taking over 10 years for "Chinese Democracy" to come out.
Old 01-23-04, 08:16 PM

The poll should be for who was/is more insane, Axl or Kurt

I'd have to say Nirvana would have been greater, GnR were already on their way down and out. Although I did love them more than I ever loved Nirvana
Old 01-23-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved Appetite as much as anyone, but GnR jumped the shark with Use Your Illusion 1 and 2.
Old 01-23-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think both reached their peaks and were on the way down at their respective demises.
Old 01-23-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you're all forgetting "The Spaghetti Incident"...

Nirvana... not that I didn't love GNR; but they had already lost the plot, and Nirvana went out with a bang. HO HO HO
Old 01-23-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Axl would have kept his ego in check, G'nR would have ruled longer than Nirvana. There were too many characters in G'nR, and Nirvana only had two in Kurt and Chris. I think Guns would have survived the grunge movement and made some awesome music.

Still, I can't help thinking that Courtney would have derailed Nirvana after awhile or that Kurt might have quit the industry. He did go out while his band was on top, tho'.
Old 01-24-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
I'm sorry but around that time you couldnt rock harder than Appetite for Destruction.
appetite came out 4 years before nirvana's major debut. 2 years before their indie label debut. so yes, no hair metal band could rock as hard as gnr at that time, and they take the cake in that department.
Old 01-24-04, 01:27 AM
Suspended

Just curious...what cheesy ballads are some of you talking about with regards to GNR?
Old 01-24-04, 01:31 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Hollowgen
appetite came out 4 years before nirvana's major debut. 2 years before their indie label debut. so yes, no hair metal band could rock as hard as gnr at that time, and they take the cake in that department.
I still say Appetite rocked MUCH harder than anything Nirvana ever put out. I honestly dont think Nirvana would have had staying power. I think they would have went the way of the other Seattle bands at the time, like Soundgarden and Alice In Chains. Great, great bands...but nowhere to be found today.

Its a shame both bands had extremely selfish lead singers.
Old 01-24-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The follow up to In Utero would have been amazing.
Old 01-24-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I honestly dont think Nirvana would have had staying power. I think they would have went the way of the other Seattle bands at the time, like Soundgarden and Alice In Chains. Great, great bands...but nowhere to be found today.

I don't think this is true. Foo Fighters are still going strong. Pearl Jam is doing fine for themselves also.
Old 01-24-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious...what cheesy ballads are some of you talking about with regards to GNR?
Possibly, Since I Don't Have You off of the Spaghetti Incident.
Old 01-24-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I'd say Nirvana. GNR was a decent hair band in the late 80's and early 90's but nothing after the Illusion discs was good. Nirvana continued to put out great music right up until Kurt's death. I also think Nirvana influenced a change in music in the early 90's, much more so than GNR ever did.
Old 01-24-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its a shame both bands had extremely selfish lead singers.
i'm not so sure... it's my understanding that while kurt cobain was very eccentric, he, dave, and kris were all great friends. especially he and kris.

the same can't be said for axl, who now fronts GNR without GNR....

or were you talking about something else?
Old 01-24-04, 03:49 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Hollowgen
i'm not so sure... it's my understanding that while kurt cobain was very eccentric, he, dave, and kris were all great friends. especially he and kris.

the same can't be said for axl, who now fronts GNR without GNR....

or were you talking about something else?
Well I was actually talking about Kurt commiting suicide, which IMO is one of the most selfish things you can do. Especially to your family and friends.
Old 01-24-04, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by edytwinky
Possibly, Since I Don't Have You off of the Spaghetti Incident.
I don't even consider that a *real* GNR album to be honest...which its not. Its a cover album.
Old 01-24-04, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by zak52
I don't think this is true. Foo Fighters are still going strong. Pearl Jam is doing fine for themselves also.
Foo Fighters were not part of that Seattle explosion of the early 90's. Pearl Jam has lasted because they have amazing talent and didnt overexpose themself like others did.

Nirvana has always been, to me, one of the least talented bands to come from that Seattle grunge fad. Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, etc were much better musically. Nirvana came onto the scene at the right time. Their aggression was a huge welcome from the hair metal nonsense that was happening at that time. They made the hair metal bands all of a sudden look laughable and fake as hell. No offense to any Nirvana fans...just my humble opinion.
Old 01-24-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Foo Fighters were not part of that Seattle explosion of the early 90's.
Pearl Jam has lasted because they have amazing talent and didnt overexpose themself like others did.
No they weren't, but they did carry on a lot of the success that Nirvana had. I think Pearl Jam lasted because their style of music has a lot of staying power. If anything they hurt their popularity by keeping low key.

Nirvana has always been, to me, one of the least talented bands to come from that Seattle grunge fad. Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, etc were much better musically.
Maybe Nirvana weren't the most talented musicans. Where they might have been lacking in talent, they more than made up in song writing. Nirvana's songs were much better than any of the bands you listed IMO. I love Pearl Jam but I would take Nirvana over them anytime.
Old 01-24-04, 09:29 PM

cornell and staley are far better vocalists than cobain. alice and soungarden were musically sound, great guitarists and bassists. but nirvana was rising and gnr was fading.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.