Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Far Cry Demo

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Far Cry Demo

Anyone else played the Far Cry demo? I downloaded it at lunch form Gamespot.com. It's a really big download at almost 500MB.

I only played about 10 minutes, but the game seems pretty cool. Graphics are awesome and the level is huge. AI seemed pretty good. Enemies would flank me, use rocks for cover, and call for help. I got to drive a couple boats around. Not sure if there are any other vehicles in the demo. I'll have to play it later tonight.
Old 01-22-04, 04:57 PM

I got it yesterday afternoon right when Gamespot put it up.

It's fricken amazing. It's like the size of a Battlefield 1942 map. There's also an off road vehicle with a mounted machine gun on it that you can wreak havoc with. The AI is awesome. I've been majorly anticipating this title for awhile now and it certainly did not disappoint.

Now I'm hyped for the mutilplayer demo.. not to mention the full release.

Oh, for all the non-PC gamers, this is the title we're talking about. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/farcry/index.html

One of the biggest PC titles getting released this year.

Last edited by khai; 01-22-04 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 11:26 PM
Banned

Nice looking game. However this things needs way to much power to run. I got a 1.4 Gz PC with a Geforce TI and the thing runs slow. Man no wonder I gave up on pc gaming the nice looking games just ask for way to much power. So everyone knows this was the fast pc card I ever got I wanted to try pc gaming out but find it boring and it cost to much to run the lasest games. Damn if I want to update my PC every few months.
Old 01-22-04, 11:55 PM

The game runs reasonably well on my Athlon XP 2800+ w/ Geforce 4 TI 4200 at 1024x768x32

It is a very good looking game. The draw distance is somewhat incredible. Should be a fun final product.
Old 01-23-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like what I've seen and I haven't finished the demo yet (blew up the helocopter but then I think I got nailed by a boat gun).

Runs fine on my P4 2.66 and Radeon 9600XT.
Old 01-23-04, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Looks as good as I expected it to. I'll buy it when it comes out. I need to upgrade my PC though... 2000+ Athlon GeForce4 ti4400. I'm about due anyway. It plays fine, just a tiny bit choppy at 1024. New PC would clear that right up.
Old 01-23-04, 05:08 AM
Banned

Holy shit this game is nice looking. When you kill someone shot thier body into the water and shot them again once you have them in the water. Man the blood movement looks so damn real it's scary.
Old 01-23-04, 05:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by PinwiZ
The game runs reasonably well on my Athlon XP 2800+ w/ Geforce 4 TI 4200 at 1024x768x32

It is a very good looking game. The draw distance is somewhat incredible. Should be a fun final product.
I'm running the same PC card as you I'm just hurting on the GHZ part. I'm not willing to upgrade the old pc for gaming right now. I do want to get a new PC that can handle a AMD 2200+ however so if anyone know where I can order one lit me know cause I don't need teh hard drive with it I just want the MB and power stuff to be put in the case already for me. I also run the game at 800x600 I got to say it did run pretty good for a game that looked that good.
Old 01-23-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried it last night but wasn't overly impressed with the gameplay. The graphics were great though. The problem was, from far away it was hard to hit anyone accurately, however everyone else could nail me fine. I found it was just more effective to get up fairly close to them and go rambo on them than it was to keep my distance and peck away at them.

And yeah, the performance was somewhat poor. Even with an amd64 3000+ and a radeon 9800 pro, the game was a bit choppy. If I tried to turn on anti-aliasing through the game options, the graphics would be all corrupted.

I read on another forum that it might help to go into some configuration file with notepad and change the renderer to opengl instead of directx, but I hadn't tried that yet.
Old 01-23-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well for some reason it wants to lock up on my computer at work, so I will have to wait until I get home.

edit: Looks like it might have something to do with my drivers, so I shall try again later.

Last edited by flashburn; 01-23-04 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 10:10 AM

TOPDAWG, it may very well just be your video card hurting. I'm running it on a P4 1.6GHz with ATI Radeon 9700 Pro just fine at 1024x768 with medium details.

Jeraden.. I had no problem taking out enemies from a distance. You tried aiming down the sight, yes? If you were using the assault rifle, just switch semi rather than full-auto and aim down the sight. You'll be set to take out enemies from a far.

What settings were you running the game at? You should be flying with the Athlon 64. Crytek threw in some Athlon 64 optimizations into the game engine. Also, OpenGL isn't ATI's strong point so you'd only benefit if you had an Nvidia card.
Old 01-23-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't even know you could togger to semi instead of full auto. I'll have to look into that.

I'm not sure what settings I had, I just took the optimized settings but bumped the resolution up to 1600x1200 (since thats my lcd native res). I'll play with it more tonight to try some different things. It might have been that I just needed to reboot since the thing got all messed up when I tried to turn anti-aliasing on. The VPU recovery console popped up while it was loading and I had to kill the process to get out of it.
Old 01-23-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
And yeah, the performance was somewhat poor. Even with an amd64 3000+ and a radeon 9800 pro, the game was a bit choppy. If I tried to turn on anti-aliasing through the game options, the graphics would be all corrupted.
I read on their forums that the demo is picky about which ATI drivers you have. I had the latest one(4.1?) and the video was corrupted. I went back to 3.9 and the game ran perfect. I am running a 3Ghz P4 and 9800XT.
Old 01-23-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have 4.1 - maybe thats why it was all messed up.
Old 01-23-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, I got the game working. All I can say so far is "Wow". This game is amazing looking, and pretty damn fun so far. I only played it for about 20 minutes, I plan on playing it alot more once I get out of work.
Old 01-23-04, 12:19 PM
Suspended

Just because old UT and Quake engine games run at 100 fps at 1600x1200, I wouldn't expect a demo for a game using a brand new engine to.
Old 01-23-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't check to see what framerate I was getting, but it was smooth for me at 1600x1200. Looks to be a really cool game. My only complaint so far is the glitches with ATI cards. Hopefully they will have those fixed before release.
Old 01-23-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
Another victim of the ATI glitches here. Hmmmmph.
Old 01-23-04, 04:35 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

My 9800 pro, 2500+ at 3200+ ran it very well.
Old 01-23-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
Another victim of the ATI glitches here. Hmmmmph.
Exactly what glitches are you guys experiencing? I can't be sure what drivers I was using at work, somewhere around pre-release 4.3's I believe, but it ran flawless there. I have not ran it on my home computer yet (3.7's).

I would not worry about any problems with ATI cards once they release their next drivers.
Old 01-23-04, 05:32 PM
Banned

I had everything running at high detail :P I mean this is really the mean thing this game has going for it the looks. If you don't have a computer that can't handle the nice looks no point to even bother with the game. The gameplay was nothing great. I do like the outdoor levels I hate walking down a hall and shot this guy then walk down a hall some more then shot someone else. SO I hope this thing can get a pretty good port to xbox. I also could not shot some guys yet they shot the shit out of me.
Old 01-23-04, 11:12 PM

You sure you don't have crooked vision? Faulty mouse? Hehe.. maybe you need to get used to mouse/keyboard more. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the controls. Just get a little more used to it.

The graphics are the only thing going for the game? Not really. If you're a big FPS fan, then you'd understand. This game is all about environment. Crazy long draw distances.. having multiple paths to get the jump on the enemy.. multiple vehicles (even a hang glider).. non-scripted AI.. and the most useful binoculars, ever.

This is one of the most refreshing FPS's I've played in a long time. It's like a Chrome done right.
Old 01-24-04, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by khai
You sure you don't have crooked vision? Faulty mouse? Hehe.. maybe you need to get used to mouse/keyboard more. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the controls. Just get a little more used to it.

The graphics are the only thing going for the game? Not really. If you're a big FPS fan, then you'd understand. This game is all about environment. Crazy long draw distances.. having multiple paths to get the jump on the enemy.. multiple vehicles (even a hang glider).. non-scripted AI.. and the most useful binoculars, ever.

This is one of the most refreshing FPS's I've played in a long time. It's like a Chrome done right.
No I have no porb with the contral and my mouse is just fine. I just find the gameplay the same as any other FPS. I do like the out doors that is cool. It's just cool cause your playing in open areas unlike most FPS games. Where did you get the idea I had a porb with the contrals? Turth be told I just think FPS games are damn boring shot this move 10 feet shot somehting else and then do that 900 more times. I loved Halo and I'm guessing I will like this game on a console. I just can't get into pc gaming in my mind a pc is for work and I just can't have fun plying a game on it I feel like I'm working and I get bored really fast.
Old 01-24-04, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
I also could not shot some guys yet they shot the shit out of me.
That's where I got the idea from.

If you don't really like FPS games, then you already have a biased opinion. And to make matters worse, you don't like PC gaming.

The whole premise in a genre is to keep the basic ideas of a genre. A fighting game is going to be a fighting game. You fight one on one with an opponent. A racing game.. you race against other vehicles. An FPS game, you shoot other people in first person view.

It's the tweaks and small changes in gameplay that make the difference.
Old 01-24-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
No I have no porb with the contral and my mouse is just fine. I just find the gameplay the same as any other FPS. I do like the out doors that is cool. It's just cool cause your playing in open areas unlike most FPS games. Where did you get the idea I had a porb with the contrals? Turth be told I just think FPS games are damn boring shot this move 10 feet shot somehting else and then do that 900 more times. I loved Halo and I'm guessing I will like this game on a console. I just can't get into pc gaming in my mind a pc is for work and I just can't have fun plying a game on it I feel like I'm working and I get bored really fast.
You sir, need to invest some money into a spell checker. Atleast some time into a dictionary.