Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

LotR uber dvd set?

Old 01-22-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LotR uber dvd set?

since new line has been so open/forward about LotR dvd releases... have they said anything about the possibility of an uber lotr set? Im talking about one that has both the TR and EE of every film, all the documentaries, all the figures, maybe the book, the making of the film in real time etc etc etc etc etc. My brother in law has been holding out even though he is a huge LotR freak... he's convinced there will be an ultimate 20+ disc set or something. That would rock... just wondering if word has leaked out about it or not...

j
Old 01-22-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Based on the simply outstanding quality of the EEs, I can't imagine what possibly could have been left out that might end up in some down-the-road uber set.

Which is not to say we'll never see one, but being a LOTR freak myself, I couldn't comprehend not owing the EEs NOW
Old 01-22-04, 02:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No mention of this.

Maybe a box set of the 3 EEs for people that don't have any of them.

I doubt we'll see any new versions. The EE's are already so extensive with a ton of footage added back in, multiple commentaries and two discs of extras apiece.
Old 01-22-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would be surprised if we saw something like that. The only release that I could conceive of coming out, in addition to what is out now, would be a "giant movie" release . . . i.e., all of the movies strung together in a single movie presentation.
Old 01-22-04, 06:09 PM

I can see them packaging all 12 discs in a fold out digi-pak case. This would make it longer than the Alien case! Just be sure your hallway is clear so that you can unravel the whole thing.
Old 01-22-04, 07:31 PM
Banned

It has already been said that the box set will only be the three EEs in a box. It was also said that the box would be available to those who purchased the movies already.

Though, there might me some uber set for a 10 year anniversary or something. Who knows, they may do the whole Star Wars thing and just re-release different box sets every year.
Old 01-22-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I could see New Line releasing a purely supplemental set of discs, with deleted scenes, more outtakes, fly-on-the-wall footage and additions to the documentaries that couldn't be fit on the EE sets. I would actually enjoy something like this. And a big box to put it all in!
Old 01-22-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Currently, Christopher Lee is making an extras DVD, complete with 12hours of ranting and whining and complaining about his 7mins of fame cut from ROTK. It will appear on the Uber DVD set in 2005. Rumor has it that AARP members will receive a complementary copy of Lee's DVD.
Old 01-22-04, 09:58 PM
Banned

I'll listen to Chris Lee talk about anything for 12 hours!
Old 01-23-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012
It has already been said that the box set will only be the three EEs in a box. It was also said that the box would be available to those who purchased the movies already.

Though, there might me some uber set for a 10 year anniversary or something. Who knows, they may do the whole Star Wars thing and just re-release different box sets every year.
Very cool! Can anyone confirm this. I'm happy with a box.

No, I'm not joking. I guess I am pretty easy to please
Old 01-23-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tanman
Very cool! Can anyone confirm this. I'm happy with a box.

No, I'm not joking. I guess I am pretty easy to please
I can't confirm it, but I have heard it mentioned before.

I'll be happy with the box too . . .
Old 01-23-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
All joking aside, I am pretty sure there will be even longer cuts of the films. I also heard of real-leather bound editions in the three respective colors. The EE versions are just the beginning. After Jackson completes King Kong, we will probably see new versions coming for his interest in the new Tolkien series.
Old 01-23-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not talking about longer cuts guys... Im thinking more of a set that had both the TR and EE of each film, plus all the extras already available in the TR, EE, and giftset lotr releases, the little gift set sculptures, maybe a film cell, and maybe the book.

j
Old 01-23-04, 01:38 PM

There's no truth behind this.. but what if they decide to recut the whole thing chronologically into one movie spread over 6 discs?

That might be interesting.. guess it would start with the great war, then smeagol finding the ring, then bilbo.. then frodo and the shire.
Old 01-23-04, 01:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by TK-421
There's no truth behind this.. but what if they decide to recut the whole thing chronologically into one movie spread over 6 discs?

That might be interesting.. guess it would start with the great war, then smeagol finding the ring, then bilbo.. then frodo and the shire.
I never understood the desire to see these films recut chronologically. It was like when Coppola recut The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II together chronologically, with the De Niro section first, then the whole of The Godfather, then the Pacino section of The Godfather II. It RUINED The Godfather, Part II, because the whole point was the parallel structure.

Now, The Lord of the Rings doesn't have anything as complex as The Godfather, Part II, but I think the structure works as it is. The only recutting I would like to see is to have them edited into one long feature, with only one set of opening and closing credits, and taking out the titles "The Fellowship Of The Ring," "The Two Towers," and "The Return of the King."
Old 01-23-04, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I never understood the desire to see these films recut chronologically.
I'm not particularly for it or against it, I'm just throwing it out there. They're eventually going to try and have everyone buy these movies again, so they're going to have to come up with a hook to get all the suckers back for more.

Only Star Wars has been successful with all the rereleases, and that's cause there's a little tweak every time they release it. Since the picture and effects are top notch on this, and they've already done extended scene releases, the only thing left are even more scenes, a recut of all the movies, or a fancy new box.

I bet it would be on 4 discs if they remove all the commentaries and selected only one audio format, and I'd buy it just to see the layout of the film that way, even if I ended up disliking it that way later.
Old 01-23-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn it, this thread is about the possibility of new line releasing the films in a large set, not longer cuts, or different cuts or anything else. If you wanna talk about that junk, start your own thread!!!

j
Old 01-24-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have my doubts!

I don't think we will see a uber DVD set of The Lord of the Rings films outside of a special package that combines all three Extended Edition set with a special external box that hold all three Extended Edition boxes.

After all, by the time the RoTK EE set comes out, Peter Jackson will be well into production of King Kong, so he won't have time to create even longer versions of the three movies.
Old 01-24-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It still keeps going.
Originally posted by jekbrown
damn it, this thread is about the possibility of new line releasing the films in a large set, not longer cuts, or different cuts or anything else. If you wanna talk about that junk, start your own thread!!!

j
I'll answer your question jekbrown. My opinion is... I doubt it. That'd be one hell of an expensive set if it had everything in it. There will probably be a "Theatrical Version" set and a seperate "Extended Edition" set, but to include all that would be outrageous. We probably won't see any new material for awhile after ROTK:EE.
Old 01-24-04, 03:03 PM

Re: LotR uber dvd set?

Originally posted by jekbrown
since new line has been so open/forward about LotR dvd releases... have they said anything about the possibility of an uber lotr set? Im talking about one that has both the TR and EE of every film, all the documentaries, all the figures, maybe the book, the making of the film in real time etc etc etc etc etc. My brother in law has been holding out even though he is a huge LotR freak... he's convinced there will be an ultimate 20+ disc set or something. That would rock... just wondering if word has leaked out about it or not...

j
Doubt anything like that will be released, at least not on DVD. On the next format?(HD-DVD) Maybe yeah. A 20+ disc set?

That would be somewhere around 8 more DVDs filled (presumably) with extras. Not going to happen. They've already covered prettty much everything with the EEs. Not to mention the logistical packaging nightmare of a "ultimate set" with all three EE's, 3 statues, 3 TE discs, a national geo disc, and a gollum disc + whatever ROTK comes with. Again, not going to happen.

Personally I don't know how/why a 'huge LOTR' freak would hold off from buying the current DVDs, I'm not sure what that accomplishes aside from getting to see the EE's much later than the rest of us.

Last edited by chucks888; 01-24-04 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Has anyone heard whether the currently announced set -- there is one right? -- will include the theatrical cuts or if I should just plan on picking them up separately anyways -- just for the sake of collections, extras, occasional nostalgia (and a good price at CH).

thanks.
Old 01-30-04, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Has anyone heard whether the currently announced set -- there is one right?
As far as I know, there has been no official announcement regarding a 'set'.
Old 01-30-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by chucks888
As far as I know, there has been no official announcement regarding a 'set'.
Ok. hadn't really been paying attention in the main dvdtalk forum but thought I read a thread discussing it. It's the sort of thing that would have had an official announcement I guess.