Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best order in which to watch the El Mariachi trilogy?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought all three of these yesterday with the great deal Best Buy had (Desperado/El Mariachi 2-pack + Once Upon a Time in Mexico for $25 total). I haven't seen any of them yet, so I'd like to know the best order in which to view them. I know the obvious answer is 1,2,3, but I'm pretty antsy to watch Desperado and Once Upon a Time, so I was wondering if El Mariachi could come last, without any plot confusion.
Old 01-21-04, 12:51 PM

there won't be any real confusion if you watch them out of order. the sequals do a decent job of tying in the previous films so you'd be ok if you watch them out of order.
Old 01-21-04, 01:00 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't matter that much. I'd watch them in chronological order myself.

If you want to mix it up, you won't get lost though. I wouldn't be too ancy about Mexico though as I loved the first two and was hugely let down by the third.
Old 01-21-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I'd go chronological.

That way you see RR grow as a director into doing more outlandish things each time.
Old 01-21-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would also go chronological. You get to see the origin of the character, and see his legend develop so that when Once Upon A Time rolls around you know why everybody looks at "El" with such reverence.
Old 01-21-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all reality, you can go about watching Des without even having to see El Mariachi, but I would recommend it more to just watch them in order.
Old 01-21-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Start with Once Upon a Time In Mexico, and play the movie in reverse all the way to the beginning of El Mariachi. You will find secret messages how to make movies cheap.

Or just start with El Mariachi. Though that movie doesn't really feel as cohesive with the second two because of its lower production values and different actors.