Reload this Page >

The Practice 1/18/04

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Practice 1/18/04

Old 01-19-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Practice 1/18/04

The subplot dealing with Tara and Alan was amusing as far as the foreplay between them as they do something really smarmy: tape and photograph a client's cheating wife who wants a divorce and a 50-50 split of the communal property. Alan gets busted and gets a talking to by Eugene and Elenor, but they don't fire him...yet. Tara keeps Alan at bay because she recognized that Alan's got some issues he needs to deal with because he's a bit messed up inside.

The subplot dealing with the client of Jimmy and Jamie was more comical because it felt like watching an old joke unfold as Ralph Waite plays a guy looking for revenge on those responsible for his daughter's death. I saw through it much earlier than either of the lawyers, but it was sadly amusing.
Old 01-19-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm hoping we're not seeing a start of a downward spiral for Spader..

I just don't want him to leave..
Old 01-19-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone else find it hard to like the Alan or Tara character? It's not just the questionable stuff they did in this episode, but also some their behaviors from the past episodes make it hard for me to like either of them.
Old 01-19-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great episode, as usual

although, i can't seem to figure out the motive behind why the bartender "flipped" when he was on the stand. If the plan was to kill the guy out "on the street," then I would have thought they'd be able to carry that through before the guy murdered the one who killed his daughter. I mean, it's an old man, for pete sake, how fast can he walk?! =P
Old 01-19-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ralph Waite had some LOL lines when he was delivering the killing blow to the guy in the hospital.

Alan is hilarious. You know he'll go the extra mile for you, even if it's damn despicable (and he'll tell you it's despicable). I'd want Alan for my attorney if I needed one.
Old 01-19-04, 03:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Ralph Waite had some LOL lines when he was delivering the killing blow to the guy in the hospital.
"He's burning up"

Alan's slideshow was great
Old 01-19-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm shocked how much I laugh out loud at this show now. It's just so damn funny at times. Alan's ambush had me on the floor. When he flipped the blinds ... and then dropped a screen down in front of them.

das
Old 01-19-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Yes that was very funny. How is James Spader NOT up for a Golden Globe. Nobody has done better work this year.

I like Eugene and Elenor's strategy of dealing with Alan: Warn him that if he keeps breaking the law and doing dispicable things that he might face an even sterner warning. Seems like that should work.

Can't wait for Alan and Tara to get together. Being a big fan of Secretary, the mind reels with script possibilities.

BTW you've got to like Alan's pseudonym when cruising for working girls.
Old 01-19-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Eugene" Hee hee.
Old 01-19-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the second week in a row that Jimmy's been left standing in the middle of the floor with his pants around his ankles (figuratively, at least...)

Rhona Mitra in Secretary situations? Room...spinning...feel dizzy
Old 01-20-04, 07:44 AM

James Spader is great on this show. I'm really happy that he brought it back from the crapola brink it was on when Dylan McDermott et al were told to leave and made it a success again. That was a great move by the network. James Spader was awesome in Secretary and there is definitely that slightly scummy part to him on this show as well...it's great.
Old 01-20-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Spader definitely is a good actor.
Although I keep picturing him as Daniel Jackson