Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DS9.. where are the Borg, Romulans, etc?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I'm half way through Season 2 of Deep Space Nine on DVD and it's fairly interesting so far. Some great episodes here and there. I've noticed the Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengi, Klingon's, Trills, even the Packleds here and there hanging around the Promenade. In the next few seasons of DS9 will there be any Borg, Romulans, Naussicans or other alien races that were in TNG?
Old 01-19-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
The Romulans become important to the overall story arc in season 6. No Borg except for the pilot episode.
Old 01-19-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Borg (post TNG) are reserved for talentless hacks with no original thought. Look for them all over Voyager.

das
Old 01-19-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That being the case, there's no reason for them to not appear in Enterprise.

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

(I wonder when Q will make an appearence?)
Old 01-19-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There will be quite a bit with the Romulans in the later seasons, especially once the war with the Dominion begins to heat up. One of my favorite episodes of DS9 has to do with Sisko attempting to deceive the Romulans to get them on the side of the Federation.
Old 01-19-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't think it would really make sense for the Borg to be hanging around Quark's Bar playing Dabo. I've heard they are not all that sociable.

Since the Borg hails from the Delta Quadrant it makes more sense for them to be in Voyager. As DS9 is connected to the Gamma Quadrant via the wormhole, they developed brand-new aliens, which is much better, IMHO.

I could not believe it when the Borg showed up on Enterprise. That was just the most desperate thing I think the writers could have done.
Old 01-19-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
I could not believe it when the Borg showed up on Enterprise. That was just the most desperate thing I think the writers could have done.
See you say something like that now but there's still at least one more season for Enterprise writers to go dipping into the desperate well again.

And muggins is right, if you want Romulans, "By the Pale Moonlight" is by far one of the best DS9 episodes (I'd be willing to hop out on the limb and say it's one of the best Star Trek episodes ever as well).
Old 01-19-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by muggins
There will be quite a bit with the Romulans in the later seasons, especially once the war with the Dominion begins to heat up. One of my favorite episodes of DS9 has to do with Sisko attempting to deceive the Romulans to get them on the side of the Federation.
Ditto, that was my favorite episode of that season.
Old 01-19-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - what you said.

Is it true that Enterprise is done at the end of this season?
Old 01-19-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's done, as far as I'm concerned.

Rumor Control has it that Paramount (the P in UP'n) wants to shorten this season by a couple, and go one more season so they can hit the magic 100 for syndication.

This, of course, is gonna give the writers incentive to do their best work ever.
Old 01-19-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
part of the ratings problem with voyager and enterprise is that they are UPN only shows and there are still cable companies that do not carry upn. they should do what they did for tng, ds9 and the first (3?) seasons of voyager and make then able to been carried by any network
Old 01-20-04, 12:20 PM

"Voyager" and UPN premiered on the same night. To my knowledge, "Voyager" went to syndication after the magic hundred.

As to "Enterprise" being shorted a couple eps, that doesn't bother me - it seems that all other episodic television is going between 18 to 24 episodes a year, rather than 26.

Nausicaans do show up now and then on "DS9" but aren't as integral to the series - in fact, the Nausicaans were never an important part of any series. Too bad, since they look like an interesting species.

And here's another vote for "In The Pale Moonlight" - when the Romulan official confronted Sisko just before the last commercial break before the resolution, I sucked all the air out of the room. Garak's last line of the episode was brilliant. Another great one along the interspecies politics line was season one's "Duet".
Old 01-20-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Duet was absolutely brilliant and some of Nana's best work.
Old 01-20-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOW! Thanks for the plethora of responses guys, and gals! I totally understand now that the Borg on DS9 would be unoriginal and illogical, since they are from the Delta Quadrant. It's just that I've grown to love some of the alien races from TNG, and being that I'm just getting into DS9, I sort of wonder how those alien races would fare on DS9, interacting with the crew and all.

I look foward to seeing the Romulans in the series, as I continue watching them. Right now I'm in the middle of Season 2 and it's pretty interesting. I really think the Cardassians are cool (brutal, yes, but very interesting). "Duet" was probably one of the best Star Trek episodes I've ever seen. Although "Chain of Command I & II" from TNG are up there as one of my favorites.

I read a few reviews of DS9 season 3,4,5,6,7 (the seasons I haven't watched yet) and I guess there will be some very interesting enemies to come, more specifically the Jem Hadar. I was browsing Startrek.com and noticed a pic of a Jem Hadar and although I have yet to see an episode with them (until last ep of Season 2), they look COOL! Very menacing and evil! I'm very excited to continue the DS9 series and will order seasons 6 and 7 when I reach the end of Season 4 perhaps.
Old 01-20-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by elektra

Is it true that Enterprise is done at the end of this season?
I love Enterprise
Old 01-20-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh DAVE - tell me you are joking?
Old 01-20-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by muggins
once the war with the Dominion begins to heat up. One of my favorite episodes of DS9 has to do with Sisko attempting to deceive the Romulans to get them on the side of the Federation.
This was the only episode I saw after the initial episode. What was the Domnion war about and how did it end?
Old 01-20-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
I love Enterprise
Old 01-20-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
You're stupid. Going around ohbfranking me, ME??!?!
Old 01-20-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Right now I'm in the middle of Season 2 and it's pretty interesting.
The Romulans will also play a key role in a piece of hardware introduced at the beginning of the next season. You'll start seeing them soon enough.
Old 01-20-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
You're stupid. Going around ohbfranking me, ME??!?!
Then again, I'm an original series fan. I liked The Next Generation. Didn't really watch DS9 that much (it always seemed like it was on at weird hours).

Voyager was boring and sucked. Enterprise is worse.
Old 01-20-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BWG - yes, so am I. Without which no other trek would be on. It's still waaaaaayyyy better than Voyager was and Enterprise could hope to be. And yes, that's saying a lot.
Old 01-20-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
In western NY we got Voyager on the Buffalo Fox affiliate up until around the point that & came on then one of the local stations became a upn affiliate

Originally posted by Mattrk
"Voyager" and UPN premiered on the same night. To my knowledge, "Voyager" went to syndication after the magic hundred.
Old 01-21-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Then again, I'm an original series fan. I liked The Next Generation. Didn't really watch DS9 that much (it always seemed like it was on at weird hours).

Voyager was boring and sucked. Enterprise is worse.

I don't think Enterprise is anywhere near as bad as Voyager. I actually think it is much closer to TOS with the exception that they have a continuing story line for much of it.
Old 01-21-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. It's a lot like TOS, except there's no vision, no heart, no message, no point. But other than that, it's pretty much the same show ... ya know, except for the continuing storyline thing.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.