Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Maximo VS The Army of Zin -demo impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Maximo VS The Army of Zin -demo impressions

I got the demo from work the other night, and I gotta tell you guys this game is a large improvement over the last one. The demo is only two levels long, but theres a lot to do. Without giving too much away Maximo (in the start of the demo) comes upon a town of innocent villagers who are being attacked by the mechanical army of Zin. Since these robot-like creatures are tough Maximo's move list is a lot flashier and much more fun in this installment. He can still plant in sword into the enemy for a finishing blow, but he can also air combo, and do a string of sword slashes that are fun to watch as they are to pull off. I commented to a co-worker that it felt as if Maximo took sword lessons from Dante.

During the game if things get tough you can call upon Grim to do some damage if your having trouble sadly though it only lasts for a few seconds. Speaking of trouble, in areas populated by people it is your job to make sure that you save them. Save an innocent villager from certain death and they will give you money and access to power ups that are often in their homes or in the backyard. I was already anticipating this game, but after playing the demo Im definaltely going to pick this up on the 21st. Hope you guys will too, if your looking to play this demo its in this months OPM.

Another post from your friendly neighborhood zero.
Old 01-19-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After hearing that they babied up the difficulty and replaced the intuitiveness of the first games battle system with a generic combo system, I'm looking to rent or play a demo before I even consider buying.

How were your impressions of the first, for comparison?
Old 01-19-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did they improve the camera? I remember it being a great camera, but you had to stop and press L1 in order to center it behind you (somewhat difficult during the madness of a fight). That was about my only complaint (more of an annoyance really) with the first game. I'll definitely be picking this one up.
Old 01-19-04, 09:31 AM

Gamespot Review

Score 8.4

Last Paragraph
By definition, Maximo vs. Army of Zin is a great sequel. It identifies flaws in the first game and fixes them, and it also adds a healthy smattering of new and improved gameplay as well. Yeah, it can be a maddeningly difficult game (just try it and see!) but it's also a naggingly addictive one. Army of Zin is expertly paced--the even distribution of new items and abilities keeps the game fresh all the way to the end--so even when you're ready to hurl your controller (and various expletives) at the screen, you just can't help but keep playing. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking for complex and rewarding action-platforming, Maximo vs. Army of Zin really satisfies.

By Brad Shoemaker

IGN Review

Score 8.8

Closing Comments
Closing Comments
If you're wondering why The Army of Zin got a lower score than its predecessor, it's simple. Ghosts to Glory came out two years ago, relatively early in the system's cycle, and the game was a first in many ways. As technology progresses and games get better, we keep moving the grade scale up too. The Army of Zin is an excellent game, and one I personally would recommend to every PS2 owner, and it's better than the original. But two years later, the game is still very much like the first in gameplay, graphics and sound. It doesn't offer the little things that every publisher seems to offers now -- widescreen options, Dobly Pro Logic II; and the game design itself isn't as ambitious as other similar games of its kind.
The game's other problems are small. The camera isn't perfect (though what 3D camera is?), and it can every so often get in the way. Also, surprisingly, Maximo isn't as long as I remember Ghosts to Glory, but I know that comes down to the fact that it's not filled with as many frustrating moments, either. It's about 10-15 hours maximo (heh). Occasionally, there are slowdown moments, and in several levels, we noticed seam tearing in the backgrounds.

But honestly, it's hard not to like Maximo Vs. the Army of Zin. You either have to be a horrible gamer or a person who hates games. Or dead. It's an inoffensive action-platformer that's safe for kids, great for old-school players, and that packs a hearty set of levels and bosses in it. The upsides are that it's fast and deep, well polished and balanced, and it’s rewarding. The slightly new structure is subtle but effective in making the game a little less harsh, a little less unforgiving. And perhaps, most importantly, you're sure to feel that old-school sense of satisfaction for having beaten each level and every boss.

-- Douglass C. Perry

Last edited by Galanthas; 01-19-04 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.. those sound much better..
Old 01-19-04, 08:55 PM

Good reviews from both which kind of surprises me since EGM gave it a lukewarm review. I really enjoyed the first one and didn't find to be that difficult. Challenging yes, but it was mostly a trial and error game.

Thanks for the reviews zero and Galanthas.
Old 01-20-04, 11:03 AM
Retired

EGM is generally the toughest reviewer out there. I personally trust them more as the online sites seem to through around 8.5's and higher like their going out of style.
Old 01-30-04, 07:36 PM

I was finally able to pick the game up today. I was gonna buy it a Wal-Mart so I could charge it but no Wal-Mart within 25 miles of me hasn't even gotten a shipment of the game in. Check was delivered in the mail today so I went to BB to pick it up.

I'll just say it's Maximo which is a good thing. I have only played maybe 15 minutes but I have noticed they corrected a few annoyances I had with the original.

1.Selectable difficulties from the start:normal,hard (at least I don't remember it having one, haven't played it in awhile)

2.DVD based game instead of the annoyingly loud ass cd based Maximo.

3.It seems you don't lose your shield this time due to using it to much, which is the only thing that annoyed me about the original.

4. No more having to choose which power ups to keep it seems(not a huge annoyance in the original,except for losing them on death)

There is probably more positives and possible negatives(worried about difficulty on the hard setting being to easy), but won't know until I play more but those 4 stood out right quick. I almost miss the originals save system(I like being punished ) but I can deal with the new one.
Old 02-01-04, 08:29 AM

Where did you guys get the demo from? which store? I like to play before buying, usually.........have the first maximo and was pleasantly surprised. I used to play ghosts and goblins back in the hey day of games.......quarter eater, those damn flying red demons...
Old 02-01-04, 02:57 PM

Beat the first boss last night and so far the game has been pretty easy, unfortunately. I'm on stage 6,have mastered stages 1-5 and have died twice unintentionally, more intentional ones though. The game has been a lot of fun though, I just hope it gets a little harder since the difficulty is set on hard.
Old 02-01-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about the camera? Can you center it behind you while moving or does it still require you to stop, center the camera, then continue what you were doing.
Old 02-02-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Lampei
What about the camera? Can you center it behind you while moving or does it still require you to stop, center the camera, then continue what you were doing.
You can move the camera once you've stopped but most of the time it needs little adjustment.
Old 02-03-04, 09:54 AM

You can center the camera behind you while moving now.
Old 02-03-04, 05:27 PM

I finished the game about 15 minutes ago. It was a lot of fun but it was disappointing that Capcom wimped out and toned down the difficulty for casual players. The game was extremely easy, I died 4 times unintentionally. I played on hard,collected every upgrade and mastered all levels and my completion time was 11 hours 40 minutes.

Some of the boxer shorts upgrades were useless. I wish they would have forced you to go through each stage at least twice to find the hidden treasure chests, so other boxers would get used. You have to wear treasure boxers to find them, but you can use them the first time through each stage making the other boxers useless since you can master each stage the first time through(besides the first one).

If they release a sequel I'll be hesitant about purchasing when it's first release, if it's gonna be this short and extremely easy again. Same damn thing happened with Silent Hill 3's 5 hour 45 minute completion time I had, which I'll probably end up skipping SH4 on release because of it.

With that said, Maximo Vs. Army of Zin was a very enjoyable game, just compared to the original, the design team messed up catering to casual players.
Old 02-04-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by Galanthas
With that said, Maximo Vs. Army of Zin was a very enjoyable game, just compared to the original, the design team messed up catering to casual players.
Why must games be dumbed down in sequals, I'll never know.

I really hoped Army of Zin would not get the same treatment Devil May Cry got, but now it seems like that's what exactly happened...
Old 02-04-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Because we have "evolved" as gamers.
Old 02-04-04, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~

I really hoped Army of Zin would not get the same treatment Devil May Cry got, but now it seems like that's what exactly happened...
Maximo Vs. Army of Zin is no where near the disaster that was Devil May Cry 2 heh. It's a very enjoyable game but they just lowered the difficulty and took out some bottomless pits, the other problems are just nit picks by me. I just had really high hopes(possibly unrealistic) after playing M:GTG and because it's a homage to Ghouls and Ghosts. Thankfully Capcom released Viewtiful Joe and M Vs. AoZ to make up for the craptacular DMC2.