Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

My Fountech AirStyle PS2 + Cosmo Xbox Wireless Controller Reviews!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-18-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I promised, I would review the two wireless controllers I received from Lik-sang this week.

Here are links to the two controllers:
PS2 : http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=3932&

Xbox : http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=3534&

First I would like to say the main reason I bought these controllers is because how similar they are to the PS2 Dual-Shock and S-Controller, respectively.

PS2 Airstyle Review :

I know IGN has already reviewed this thing, and they were pretty much exact on everything they said about it. Its simply wonderful, its like the Wavebird is to the Gamecube. The only difference between it and the regular Dual-shock controller is it is a little bit heavier, and contoured a little bit differently. The triggers also feel a tad different, but not in a bad way.

When I first started using it I noticed a delay in response, which seemed very odd. I changed the controllers channel (by clicking 'in' both of the analog sticks) and that fixed it. After that it was working just as good as a Dual-shock.

One thing this controller has over the regular Dual-shock (besides wireless), is its D-Pad, it feels so much better than the Dual-shocks. Everything else from the buttons to the analog sticks are nearly identical. It has an 'auto-off' feature that will turn the controller off if it hasn't been touched for a while.

Its one downfall is its rumble, it is pretty weak. But I feel it is a good tradeoff for being wireless, and you can just turn it off.

I knew this would be a good controller from everything I heard, so there wasn't a surprise here.

Now time to venture into uncharted territory, the Cosmo.

Xbox Cosmo Review:

Holy shit.....that’s what I said when I pulled it out of its package. This thing is damn near identical to the S-Controller in EVERY way! There are only 2 things different between the design of it and the S-Controller (yeah yeah, besides it being wireless). The first is that the Analog sticks are contoured to be a little more 'shallow' compared to the S-Controller. The second thing is the buttons are a bit more 'raised' on this controller. I do think that neither of those things really affect this controllers performance, however.

The rumble is fantastic, it feels identical to the S-Controller (I do however wish there was a option to disable it directly on the controller). This controller also has an 'auto-off' feature like the Airstyle, to help save batteries.

I can't honestly say ANYTHING bad about this controller, but I can nit-pick about a few things.

First, this controller lets you use rechargeable batteries (which it comes with) as an option. It also comes with the 4.5V charging adapter, the only problem is that the charger isn't a U.S. type power plug. So if you do decide to use the rechargeable batteries you have to go to some place like Radio-Shack to buy a 4.5v adapter, probably costs around $10. Since the batteries are rechargeable they basically have no charge to begin with. I also noticed a small problem in one of the triggers, that felt like the spring in it was getting caught. I opened it up and found the problem, the small cables going to the rumble motors were overlapped a little with the trigger. Easy fix though, just needed to move the cable over a little, and it is working perfect.

So, besides the few problems I have with it, this controller is terrific! It doesn't at all have that 'cheap' feel that a lot of 3rd party controllers have (and that I was worried about). The analog sticks have exactly the same amount of tension that the S-Controller has.

After buying this controller I see no reason to EVER use my S-Controller again.

If anyone has any questions or if I missed something, just ask here.

Also I forgot to mention, my total cost for both controllers was about $102 after UPS 2-Day shipping.

Last edited by flashburn; 01-18-04 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-18-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks flashburn!

Glad to hear the IGN review of the PS2 controller was right on target. I guess I'll be picking up one of these in the near future.

Just one question; the Airstyle "channels" that you had to change... is that the same concept as the Wavebird, where you have multiple controllers using different channels? I assume it is... so it's just a little worrying that the channels had anything to do with the wireless response time. I wouldn't have thought they'd have anything to do with one another. Oh well, as long as it can be fixed!
Old 01-18-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cheapskate
Thanks flashburn!

Glad to hear the IGN review of the PS2 controller was right on target. I guess I'll be picking up one of these in the near future.

Just one question; the Airstyle "channels" that you had to change... is that the same concept as the Wavebird, where you have multiple controllers using different channels? I assume it is... so it's just a little worrying that the channels had anything to do with the wireless response time. I wouldn't have thought they'd have anything to do with one another. Oh well, as long as it can be fixed!
Yep, same as the Wavebird "channels". The Cosmo has the same thing, except they are switches inside where the batteries go. I believe both the Fountech and the Cosmo have support for 4 different channels for 4 controllers.
Old 01-18-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, as far as the response time changing between changing channels, I believe it might have something to do with my wireless mouse/keyboard combo in the same room.
Old 01-18-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How sensitive are the buttons on the controllers. I have the Pelican wireless for the xbox and you have to mash the buttons harder than you you do on a regular xbox controller. I tend to push the buttons lightly, so sometimes the Pelican version won't pick up the movement.
Old 01-18-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tested with PGR2 for button sensitivity, and it is exactly the same as the S-Controller.
Old 01-18-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
Also, as far as the response time changing between changing channels, I believe it might have something to do with my wireless mouse/keyboard combo in the same room.
Ahhh... that makes sense... thanks!
Old 01-19-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Too bad you can't use it with the Live headset, but there isn't any wireless solution where you can, I guess. Glad you like them; they sound pretty good.
Old 01-19-04, 06:44 AM

Re: My Fountech AirStyle PS2 + Cosmo Xbox Wireless Controller Reviews!

Originally posted by flashburn
Xbox Cosmo Review:

First, this controller lets you use rechargeable batteries (which it comes with) as an option.
Have you tried the controller with regular batteries? If so, does it work just as well using regular batteries as when using rechargeable batteries?
Old 01-20-04, 12:24 AM

While I can't speak for the Cosmo, I do have the AirStyle for PS2 and I love that thing when I am on the PS2. It's just about perfect, good form factor, fast response, never picks up any interference, etc.
Old 01-20-04, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: My Fountech AirStyle PS2 + Cosmo Xbox Wireless Controller Reviews!

Originally posted by Roan
Have you tried the controller with regular batteries? If so, does it work just as well using regular batteries as when using rechargeable batteries?
Regular batteries is actually all I am using now, since I don't have a correct 4.5volt charger yet. It works fine with regular batteries, as it should, since using rechargable batteries are optional
Old 01-20-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How long do the batteries last for the PS2 controllers?
Old 01-20-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Outlaw
More than a couple hours? I am not sure, since thats all I have used it so far. Try checking ign's review..I would but I am at work.
Old 01-20-04, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw
I didn't change batteries for the first two months after getting my fountech. I'd *estimate* I got about 20 hours or more of life from it by using ECO mode, which eliminates the rumble feature but seriously prolongs batt life.
Old 01-20-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Calico
I didn't change batteries for the first two months after getting my fountech. I'd *estimate* I got about 20 hours or more of life from it by using ECO mode, which eliminates the rumble feature but seriously prolongs batt life.
ECO is supposed to decrease response time, not eliminate rumble. There is a second button to disable rumble.
Old 02-05-04, 11:48 AM
colossus

Any places you can buy these other than Lik Sang? I tried to order, and they want a fax of my CC...which I don't think is a good idea.

Thanks!!
Old 02-05-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Play-Asia has the AirStyle...

On another note, for some reason my Cosmo seems to be losing signal occasionally, but after turning it off and then on again it seems to work fine. I think it might be the batteries though, I need to go to Radio Shack and buy a A/C adapter for the rechargable batteries.
Old 02-05-04, 06:10 PM
colossus

Hyper Cafe has it...thanks for the help!
Old 02-05-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'd like to see a compare and contrast with the Cosmo versus the Pelican one.
Old 02-05-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
I'd like to see a compare and contrast with the Cosmo versus the Pelican one.
Buy me a Pelican and no problem.
Old 02-07-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ok - here you go... *hands pretend money to a pretend cashier and hands pretend controller to the screen*

Got it?
Old 02-07-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
Ok - here you go... *hands pretend money to a pretend cashier and hands pretend controller to the screen*

Got it?
Sweet! Thanks.
Old 02-07-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

flashburn,
Have you had any problems with your Cosmo? I have two and they haven't been working too well. I checked to make sure the batteries were charged and the channels were different.

The only bad thing about ordering from lik-sang is that if you return anything, you have to deal with all those shipping charges.

I hope I can get mine working soon otherwise I'm stuck with some controllers that don't work.
Old 02-07-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BigDave
flashburn,
Have you had any problems with your Cosmo? I have two and they haven't been working too well. I checked to make sure the batteries were charged and the channels were different.

The only bad thing about ordering from lik-sang is that if you return anything, you have to deal with all those shipping charges.

I hope I can get mine working soon otherwise I'm stuck with some controllers that don't work.
Just the problems I already stated with them not being responsive sometimes, but if I turn them off and on again they seem to work fine....is that the same problem you are having?
Old 02-07-04, 03:23 PM

I've got the Pelican Chameleon and Predator for PS2, both seem to be pretty solid, very responsive even at long distance. Don't know about the battery life though, since I just picked up both of 'em

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.