Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mindhunters

Old 01-17-04, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mindhunters

Comes out nationwide on Friday and have yet to see a single commercial. Trailer looks pretty bad. What's the buzz?
Old 01-17-04, 09:18 PM

I actually thought this looked somewhat interesting.
Old 01-17-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You haven't seen any TV ads.

And that's exactly where the buzz is....non-existant.

I have seen the trailer at the theater a few times and will be checking it out. The concept seems like it could make for a good cat and mouse flick....and I actually like Renny Harlin.
Old 01-17-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only seen the trailer once. I didn't think it was coming out this early. Depending on what else opens, I may give it a shot.
Old 01-18-04, 02:08 AM
Banned

apparently this film was on the shelf for years...glad it finally comes out, but the lack of buzz is a bad sign
Old 01-18-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The film is not coming out Friday. The film has been delayed until further notice.

$5 says it goes direct-to-video.
Old 01-18-04, 12:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Opens 2/13

And it's a "fun" movie, not a terribly "good" one. Harlin is a master of that type of filmmaking.

Nitpickers should have fun with it.
Old 01-19-04, 12:33 PM

being that i've had the bootleg for quite sometime now I can tell you its not a bad movie at all. The way the deaths are created will have alot of you loving it. The acting isnt bad either everyone(even LL cool J) give a great performance.
Old 01-19-04, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw a test screening of this last year and I liked it. It's lots of fun and has some great death scenes, even if it is Deep Blue Sea with a human killer instead of sharks.

Last edited by Ghostface180; 06-14-04 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Here's a review from Arrow - he seems pretty stoked about it:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/mindhunters.htm
Old 06-15-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I too am very pumped about this movie. I love the premise. The trailor has me hooked.
Old 06-15-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I hope this stupid thing comes out soon - I've been wanting to see it for ages... and my hsx stock on it isn't doing squat, but I can't sell it without taking a hit.
Old 06-15-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie has a somewhat promising cast but just goes down the shitter real quick, its another one of the "guess who's the killer among them" type movies, like Identity and Eye See You-which both did this formula better. Oh, and a really stupid ending.

SOMEWHAT SPOILERISH------

This movie had so many "coincedential" type killings its not even funny, I thought it was going into Identity territory but at the end of that movie you realize you're in a killer's head so you forgive it, here there's no such luck.
Old 09-27-05, 05:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this finally and agree with the above comment about the killings.
Spoiler:
The liquid nitrogen kill relied on the assumption that someone would be standing at that exact spot by the time the dominoes went through the course. The backwards shooting gun assumed that the wheelchair guy would actually think of going for that exact gun. The cigarette death only works because the character is presumably a complete moron for daring to smoke mystery cigarettes when she knows damn well the place is loaded with traps.
The film was enjoyable for awhile, but it reached a point where the taps were too convoluted to be believable.

My main point of contention is with the characterizations in the climax.
Spoiler:
To fake out the audience into thinking LL Cool J was the villain, they committed the heinous movie act of making him completely act like a villain for no reason. Having him act overly threatening and darkly coy about his intentions makes NO sense in the context of the scenes and is completely at odds with the rest of the movie. It was a very very bad cheat on the filmmaker's part.
Old 09-28-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG

My main point of contention is with the characterizations in the climax.
Spoiler:
To fake out the audience into thinking LL Cool J was the villain, they committed the heinous movie act of making him completely act like a villain for no reason. Having him act overly threatening and darkly coy about his intentions makes NO sense in the context of the scenes and is completely at odds with the rest of the movie. It was a very very bad cheat on the filmmaker's part.
This was my main issue with the film as well. I was willing to let the ambiguity play on up till the
Spoiler:
shootout in the street, where LL is teasingly calling out Sara's name after "killing" Lucas (Johnny Lee Miller). From there on I assumed that we know who the killer was. I was wrong and it definitely felt like a cheat to add on another climax.
In the end I still enjoyed it, though.
Old 09-28-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had a DTS version of the film for about 6 months now and must say I enjoyed it. The DTS sound was killer as well.
Old 09-29-05, 09:24 PM

I have a question for those of you who have seen the movie. I can't quite figure it out.

Spoiler:
In Roger Ebert's review, he mentions that the movie theater in Crimetown showing The Third Man is somewhat of a clue. Does anyone know what he's talking about? Here is the quote:
"In this movie, the theater marquee advertises "The Third Man." No, the male characters are not numbered in order, so you can't figure it out that way, nor is the killer necessarily a woman. So think real hard. What else do you know about "The Third Man"?"
Old 09-30-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't help you out with that one ghostface, sorry.

I just realized the original date of this topic. Wow, it's been on the shelf for a while! Well, it was much better than most of the other films that have been shelved for long periods.
Old 07-13-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved this movie. I laughed out loud through most of it. Almost as much as I do watching Commando. The dialogue was so appalling, it had me in fits of the giggles.

My two favourite lines:

Eenie meenie miney mo, which mother fucker is next to go

- It's the initial calculation for the speed of light
- Are you sure?
- It's a fundamental principle of physics
- Along with "shit happens"

I also loved the badly choreographed fight scenes. Some of which appeared to be slow-mo moves they had forgotten to speed up in post production.

Old 07-13-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I honestly enjoyed it. Sue me!