Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wavy Lines on DVD/Video Playback

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I recently bought a 27" Toshiba Flat Screen TV about 2-3 months ago. Since I've got it I noticed wavy looking lines when using the dvd player or Xbox or something. They don't appear when watching cable or say when the T.V generates black bars for movies. It's only in the actual part of the screen that is being used.

I figure it is some sort of interference maybe but I don't know what. I tried playing with the settings on the T.V. but they didn't help. I've setup the TV with the THX thing on X-men but havn't with anything good like Avia.

Right now my DVD player is hooked up with a S-Video connection but I borrowed some Component cables to see if they would work but they didn't do much. They actually made it a little worse I think. They are about a year old AR component cables.

I moved the DVD player as far away from the TV as possible and switched power outlets on both to try that but it didn't do anything. Everything else electronic in the room is shut off.

I took some pictures with the brightness down so the lines are a bit easier to see. Anyone know exactly what they are and any ideas on how to fix them?

First one of T.V. tube without a flash to show lines without flash distortion

Second one of T.V. with flash to brighten the lines up a bit more.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-17-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have multiple inputs try changing inputs to see if one input is bad. Many time video interference is caused by electrical pulses. Make sure your video cables and power cables are kept away from each other. One lying on another might cause this. Also try playing the DVD player or Xbox with the cable line disconnected from the TV. Sometimes the cable line isn't grounded properly and will cause problems with other things while cable looks OK.
Old 01-17-04, 11:09 PM

Well after I posted that I went and tried some more things.

I also noticed it doesn't always happen. Sometimes it will come on for a few seconds and then go away. I don't notice it really when watching unless I really look for it. It doesn't really affect my viewing of the stuff but I'm just worried it might get worse and if serious maybe take it in for repairs while still under warrenty.

Anyways here is what I tried

- Moved all my gaming systems and VCR's out of the room that were beside the T.V.
- Moved the PC that was down on the floor beside the T.V. out
- Moniter and 2 front PC speakers as well as PC sub were still in the room but 4 feet away so I doubt that has anything to do with it
- Took T.V. down off the dresser it was on and hooked up the DVD player via component and nothing else. No cable was hooked up or anything.
- Also tried a different DVD player and did the same thing. Brought the DVD player I was using originally to a different T.V. and it didn't show any lines.

Not sure what else I could do to avoid any interference.

I should also mention a couple things that I noticed

The lines are not still like the horizontal scan lines you see when you get close to the tube. They are moving sort of like a wave but not quite. I also mentioned the lines don't go onto the black bars from widescreen movies but that was wrong. They do go on there but not as noticible.

If I turn the brightness quite high they do seem to go away but it's way too bright.

They also show up in wierd ways. For instance if I have my DVD player stopped with a solid grey background and nothing else they are all over with component. If I bring up a setup menu that just kind of overlaps the grey background with some buttons they all disapear and the grey is crysal clear.

Also the S-Video doesn't display the lines nearly as much as the component connection does. On year or two older model Toshiba (both T.V.s are Toshiba Pure FST) downstairs though I see no lines with the same cables and dvd player so it's kind of strange.

Unfortunatly there is only 1 component connection and 1 s-video connection so I can't try others. I will try some old composite ones though tomorrow to see if they come with that.

I also called the store I bought it from and he said it could be the Vertical Hold on the T.V. screwing up and I would need to call Toshiba to see what they think. I'll probably give them a call just incase but I don't want to have to send it in for repairs if it's nothing. Vertical hold sounds more serious then what I have right now but then again I'm not exactly qualified.

Anyways I'll leave it for now and maybe someone will come up with some more ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-20-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I used to have this a lot when my HT was on the other side of the wall from the kitchen (fridge, microwave, etc) and cleared up when we moved to a newer house.

I know you said you took the other stuff off the line, but I still say you're getting something over your powerlines. Maybe try a line conditioner, or a really good surge protector.
Old 01-21-04, 01:12 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Those look like the lines on my TV when I had a window air conditioner. It didn't even have to be on, just plugged in, to cause the lines.