Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Equilibrium : comparisons & opinions / off-topic split by me [Benedict]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Equilibrium : comparisons & opinions / off-topic split by me [Benedict]

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how does this compare to existenz? i've seen neither, but both seem to be love em er hate em

will i like it? i like the first matrix movie, but the 2nd two are so god-awful i don't feel safe to go back in a theater for a while.

Last edited by jkester; 12-03-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-03-03, 09:47 PM

It's a stylish film with some interesting action, but the plot and writing are honestly pretty bad in my opinion. I'd suggest renting it before shelling out on a permanent copy.
Old 12-04-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by jkester
how does this compare to existenz? i've seen neither, but both seem to be love em er hate em

The two movies have next to nothing in common.

For eXistenZ, have you seen anything else by David Cronenberg? Naked Lunch, Videodrome, Scanners, etc.?

Equilibrium's shoot-em-up scenes are incredibly cool, but the writing and acting are awful beyond belief. It's really quite thuddingly stupid.

will i like it? i like the first matrix movie, but the 2nd two are so god-awful i don't feel safe to go back in a theater for a while.
You'd probably like Equilibrium then.
Old 12-12-03, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by jonathan.e
Agreed. I’d rate it somewhere well south of abysmal. The only fun to be had is spotting the staggering number of other sci-fi sources it rips off wholesale.

Terrible, terrible, terrible movie.
If you hate the flick that much, why exactly did you click on the thread? Seems kinda strange to do that. And then take time out of your busy life to post something about it too. Baffling..

Last edited by bobertkay99; 12-12-03 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bobertkay99
If you hate the flick that much, why exactly did you click on the thread? Seems kinda strange to do that. And then take time out of your busy life to post something about it too. Baffling..

What’s wrong? Don’t like hearing all points of view?

Hopefully my comments may persuade people debating purchasing this to not bother. Worst Sci-fi film of the last 20 years.
Old 12-12-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Worst Sci-fi film of the last 20 years.
...guess you missed Battleship Earth, huh?
Old 12-12-03, 02:14 PM

Worst Sci-fi film of the last 20 years.
Ok, I don't usually get involved in discussions like this, but to call Equilibrium the "worst sci-fi film in the last 20 years" is just plain ignorant.

If you didn't like it (I did), then that's fine. Nobody forces anybody to like anything. But nobody's forcing you to read a thread about the Korean DVD release either. I think it's a nice looking set. That's what this thread is about.
Old 12-12-03, 04:14 PM

totally agree with pinwiz. i too, don't get involved in heated discussions with fellow dvdtalkers about certain movies that i particularly dislike. equilibrium isn't a terrible film. granted, its flawed but the acting isn't as bad as people say. i think christian bale did a fine job with the material. and the action scenes are very well done.
there are worse movies in this genre. direct-to-video flicks plastered all over blockbuster's new release walls come to mind.
Old 12-12-03, 04:35 PM

Considering that this was the director/writer Kurt Wimmer's first big film, I can only imagine what he has in store for us as he matures and grows as a filmmaker.
Old 12-12-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
never heard of it... is there a trailer available anywhere? When did it come out? Was it in theaters?

I agree with the consensus that ripping on this film in a thread about the Korean DVD seems inappropriate... but since you're a moderator, it's cool.
Old 12-12-03, 08:03 PM

it came out last year but i think it was in very limited release. that's why few have even heard of it. i heard about it around march, i think. people were talking about it on the movie talk forum. do a search and you'll find several discussions pertaining to it.

anyway,here's a link to the trailer...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/equilibrium.html
Old 12-12-03, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Hopefully my comments may persuade people debating purchasing this to not bother. Worst Sci-fi film of the last 20 years.
Guess you dont see a lot of science fiction movies, then huh?

Worse than Wing Commander? Worse than Power Rangers: The Movie? Worse than Rollerball? Worse than Battlefield Earth? Worse than Highlander 2?

Please. It's not ever close.
Old 12-13-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PinwiZ
Ok, I don't usually get involved in discussions like this, but to call Equilibrium the "worst sci-fi film in the last 20 years" is just plain ignorant.
In your opinion. I stand by what I said, comments posted in agreeance with another poster BTW. Potential squandered on a scale like this is far, far worse than some cheap and cheerful flick falling short of it’s meagre expectations.

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Guess you dont see a lot of science fiction movies, then huh?
On the contrary. It’s my favourite genre.

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Worse than Wing Commander? Worse than Power Rangers: The Movie? Worse than Rollerball? Worse than Battlefield Earth? Worse than Highlander 2?

Please. It's not ever close.
Yep, worse than all of those. A really lazy piece of blatantly derivative filmmaking. Battlefield Earth is Citizen Kane compared to Equilibrium.

Originally posted by Trigger
...but since you're a moderator, it's cool.

How ’bout that? There is a perk that goes with the job after all!
Old 12-13-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
jonathan.e what the hell are you doing in this thread!? You hate the movie, fine but that's not what this thread is about. It's about the look of the korean packaging, NOT the quality of the movie.

As a wise man once said: Read it, learn it, live it

Kinda embarassing that a moderator can't figure it out, tsk tsk tsk.

Last edited by Gunde; 12-13-03 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-13-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gunde
jonathan.e what the hell are you doing in this thread!?

Responding/agreeing with/to a post from another member. Replies to my post doing so warranted a further reply.

Kinda embarassing that a moderator can't figure it out, tsk tsk tsk.

No embarassment here. Thanks for your thoughts.

It's about the look of the korean packaging, NOT the quality of the movie.
Nice box.

Last edited by jonathan.e; 12-13-03 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-14-03, 11:36 AM

Starship Troopers is far better.

not that Equlilibrium is bad, in fact it has some superb moments, pity america swept it under the carpet and burried it forever in cinemas, I saw it in a UK cinema and everyone liked it form the reactions they showed, it made more in the UK than america i think, as it got advertised over here and some nice reviews (and some crap ones)

I am selling my crappy R1 version and buying the Korean version as I speak, as that packaging is classy and I think Korea deserves praise for dvds, I just hope the picture is as good as the R1, fingers crossed.
Old 01-13-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All about threadcraps
Old 01-17-04, 12:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by jkester

</small>While I have nothing against constructive "thread-drift", given the particular topic here, non-technical questions about the movie in general almost certainly called for their own thread - and probably not one sited here in International.

My fault for not noticing the divergence earlier on, but I am sorry that people felt the need to tear into jonathan.e given that, quite clearly, he didn't start it and was merely responding to a point of view already aired as a result of the tangential question atop this "new" thread. This shoudl now be clear to all now looking at this split off thread which I am hereby closing.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk