Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

a review on Open Range

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a review on Open Range

I can't wait to hear the DTS.

link
Old 01-17-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a very good movie! I will probably rent this though, before I buy.
Old 01-18-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i really enjoyed this movie...well at least all of it but the first half hour or so. that first half hour was pretty cheezzy to me and my wife...she whispered to me, "is this going to be another crappy costner movie" and i answered, "looks like it."

we laughed about that afterward. it turned out pretty good. the first half hour wasnt so good and the last half hour was awesome!
Old 01-19-04, 01:37 PM

Here's another review:

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/Open_Range/11345/1919/
Old 01-22-04, 12:09 AM

Just saw this and thought it was great. One of the best westerns to come out since the 70s and probably would edge into my 10 favorite westerns. Good cinematography and superb action choreography at the end. The pace is good, not sure why everyone is so bothered with the first half hour, it sets up the entire plotline. Most of the acting seems spot on. The humor is appropriate and the dialogue really helps bring a sense of realism to the movie.

I was very impressed with this movie, yet another reason I think Costner has done more good than bad.
Old 01-22-04, 02:28 AM

Yep, I watched this last night with my dad and mom...they really enjoyed it...especially my dad, who loves westerns...he thought it was very well done, so that's saying a lot...he's one of those guys who grew up watching a lot of cool westerns back in the day...he's never asked about a movie before but early in the week he mentioned "open range" and that it was coming out on dvd...then I knew that meant he wanted to see it...plus, he later asked me did I buy it or rent it...I said I bought it...and then he said, oh yeah, I saw the walgreens ad showing it was 19.99...I was like, uh, no dad, I got it at best buy...hahahaha...that tells you how much my dad knows about dvd's...

Here's hoping more great westerns get made in the near future...as long as they make them decent, I think there is an audience for them...ie-my dad...plus, didn't costner say he was interested in doing another one now?
Old 01-22-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The DVD's 65-minute "making of" documentary is one of the best of its kind that I've ever seen and I also really loved the film.
Old 01-24-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Very good film. One of the few that I saw recently that made an impact on me. I loved the pace and the "calm" character of the story. I would say- this film was much more thah a simple western!

Big, big
Old 01-25-04, 08:11 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I liked this movie a lot! I'll be picking it up for sure.
Old 01-25-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Viewed my copy last night....bought unseen and was not disappointed. Excellent....excellent movie!!! Still finishing up on the extras but the Beyond Open Range documentary was awesome. I still have the commentary and another documentary to view......

Robert Duvall is the best of the best!!!!

Annette Bening was simply stunning.....

Dean McDermott did a fantastic job.......the documentary discloses how McDermott appeared for the casting tryout and added the limp during his tryout. They liked him so much and what he added to the character...they gave him the job!!!

Michael Jeter was perfect for his part!!! (Percy at the livery)

Kevin Costner is back.....I hope future movies are not as hard for him to obtain financing. This movie proves his worthiness as a director/actor...more from the director side but I really did enjoy his performance.
Old 01-25-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by djones6746
I didn't know Will Ferrel was in Open Range?
Old 01-25-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
I didn't know Will Ferrel was in Open Range?
Um....that is not Will Ferrel.

Are you saying he looks like Will Ferrel?
Old 01-26-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From that picture, he does kind of look like Will Ferrel. Didn't think of that at all while watching the flick, but when just looking at that screenshot...
Old 01-26-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-27-04, 12:40 AM

I liked the movie a lot, but thought it could have been cut about 20 minutes without any problem...
Old 01-28-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here is our review of the DVD...

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...re=date_posted
Old 01-28-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jfrost
here is our review of the DVD...

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...re=date_posted
Two movies I disagree with you about are The Postman and Wyatt Earp. I really likd both movies.

I will concede on Waterworld as that was pretty bad.
Old 01-29-04, 10:56 AM

I too am a fan of WYATT EARP, which I found much more interesting than its cartoony cousin, TOMBSTONE (Dennis Quaid, for one, was absolutely fantastic in EARP, giving his Doc Holliday a depth that Val Kilmer couldn't plumb from the TOMBSTONE script, despite an admirable effort). And I don't think UNFORGIVEN overrated, either.

I liked OPEN RANGE quite a lot -- Costner has a knack for framing landscapes -- and his very strong, very understated performance as Charlie drives the movie, in my opinion. As Boss, Duvall is great as always, but I don't think the film would have worked without a Charlie played to precision -- and Costner pulls back at all the right times, giving Charlie his mystery and pain without affecting either.