Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox "Live" recommendations please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox "Live" recommendations please.

As a new xbox live owner, I am ready to "break the bank" so to speak and do some "live" gaming. (I own nfl2k3 and Mechassualt)I am going with a good friend of mine tomorrow to get the xbox live kit for him (version 3) and some games for both of us. We are pretty sure that "Top Spin" will be our first purchase. However.....

This is where you guys come in....Can you please give me some recommendations? My friend and I prefer sports games, but we like non sports games as well. I have a few SPECIFIC questions about recommendations, (below) but ANY and I mean ANY off topic "live" games you guys think we should get, PLEASE MENTION THEM! I have been a member here quite a while, and I want your opinions...(and kinda soon too, where leaving in the morning for the shopping spree ) Ok, on to the questions.

ESPN Hockey vs. NHL Rivals?

ESPN Football vs NFL Fever 2004?

Also, my friend JUST bought his xbox which came with clone wars and tetris worlds. I am a star wars fan, as well as a tetris fan, would it be worth if for ME to purchase either one or both of these titles for online play?

Thanks guys, I really appriciate this in a BIG way!
Old 01-16-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ESPN Hockey > Rivals
I prefer Fever over ESPN Football, but many many other like ESPN better.

Get Project Gotham Racing 2, now!
Old 01-16-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Second PGR2. It's awesome.

Also, Crimson Skies is the rare game that is awesome in single player and in online mode as well. It's truly something special and looks amazing.

If two of you are going to play toether, you might check out one of the Ghost Recon games or Rainbow Six 3. My best friend and I play GR:IT at least a few times a week. We just have a blast tackling a few levels while covering each other's back.
Old 01-16-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
PGR2 is THE game to play on Live now. It's so great...it's fun, challenging, and looks gorgeous. I hate most sports games, but I did buy Top Spin, since I do play tennis, and it's pretty fun. There are some pretty stupid tricks out there that can turn a game unfun, but it's fun on Live.
GET PGR2 though...NOW! And I'll race you in my Mini Cooper, the best car to race!

oh, and as for Tetris, it's really fun too. 4 player tetris knock out mode is damn fun. I think you should get it, as it's only 20 bucks.
Old 01-16-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I play Tetris, Rainbow Six 3 (BUY IT!) and Top Spin alot on Live.
Old 01-17-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crimsons Skies and PGR 2 = Crack!

Old 01-17-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Run, don't walk, to your local store. Get PGR2. Enjoy! It's a very addictive game.
Old 01-17-04, 09:33 AM

I am going to take heat but skip PGR 2 It takes way to long to get the cars and The single player will eat up most of your time.

Skip Crimson Skies, also you will get killed alot, and it gets very repetitive and boring rather fast.

GET,GET, GET Rainbow six 3, stick with it though because you will get owned at first.

Get ESPN Hockey, although by now most people on line can do tricks that the goalie just cant stop.

I like couterstrike alot but most would disaggree, fun fast paced shooter. ALot of immorture kids on line gets annoying. I like the controls. very fun. maybe rent first.

get those and then wait till new releases:

Unreal II
Splinter Cell II
Operation flashpoint
Call of duty
dead man's hand
halo 2
This will be a great year for live.........
Old 01-17-04, 09:50 AM

Well first off THANK YOU to everyone who responded.

Top Spin still looks like the No 1 choice.....I did some research last night, and came up with these possible senarios.

Best Buy currently has a pretty cool deal going on that states if you buy a game from a predetermined list (pgr2 and crimson skies are on that list) then you can choose an xbox platinum hits game for $5. I looked at the list of platinum hits, and there were a few that caught my eye. Unreal championship, ghost recon, splinter cell, tony hawk 3, tony hawk 4, sega gt online, NFS hot pursuit 2, morrowmind, james bond agent under fire.

Circuit city currently has that buy nfl street (NO LIVE SUPPORT....GRRRRRRRR) and get a $10 gift card deal. Plus I recently read a thread in these forums about some insanely cheap games at CC, I am hoping to find a couple

EB has espn football with free t-shirt, and espn hockey with free t-shirt I also noticed they had nfl fever 2003 for 17.99, now I realize this is last years game, but it is cheap, and live enabled

So, to make a short story long.....I think top spin, crimson skies, and either espn football or espn hockey are my top picks, and possibly PGR2. Again, thank you VERY much for the info guys!
Old 01-17-04, 04:12 PM

Again, I say thanks for the help guys....

I just got back, heres the damage report

My friend and I BOTH bought Top Spin, and ESPN Football (top spin is one HARD game to find, tons of stores were sold out)

Me, Myself, and I bought a couple more....

I traded in a bunch of old 2003 titles (slugfest, hitz, blitz) and got a little bit of credit which I used for Rainbow Six 3.

Went to Best Buy and took advantage of thier deal where you buy a game from a pre determined list and get any one Platnum Hits game for $5. So I bought Crimson skies (this looks like alot of fun) and picked out splinter cell for $5.

Now, I am going to be on live for God knows how long

If you come across a "mrmagoo1974" I hope you say HI!
Old 01-17-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Ghost Recon is a good buy because it's only $20. It's probably my favorite Live game followed by Mechassault. I have Crimson Skies, but I've found it to be somewhat boring. Maybe it will improve after I play the single player.

I've had fun playing Whacked! It's fun to play with friends and isn't the typical shooter or sports game. I found it used for $10. Not a lot of people play it on live, though. When I play late at night it's sometimes impossible to find games.
Old 01-19-04, 11:24 AM

Project Gotham Racing 2-best online implementation I've seen, awsome fun

And
Rainbow Six 3-works great on live, mad to not have it.

These games will keep you going for ages, very different, but the best games right now.

These will keep me busy until Splinter Cell 2 comes out, the live game will break new ground!!
Old 01-19-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking at getting live soon and Rainbow Six 3 does sound like a pretty good game - one question though - is it third person perspective? And if so, are there camera issues (traditionally i dislike 3rd person games because of weird camera issues).
Old 01-19-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

imo, top spin sucks for xbox live. it takes forever to load, it's cumbersome and live unfriendly. - it's a good game but sometimes, i want to chuck it out the window.

for the best live experience, i recommend pgr2 and motogp2. (soon, rallisport2)... um, i guess i like racing games
Old 01-19-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Why didn't you listen to us? We said go get PGR2!

NOW!

Old 01-19-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by xmiyux
I'm looking at getting live soon and Rainbow Six 3 does sound like a pretty good game - one question though - is it third person perspective? And if so, are there camera issues (traditionally i dislike 3rd person games because of weird camera issues).
its a FPS
Old 01-19-04, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by young
[B]imo, top spin sucks for xbox live. it takes forever to load, it's cumbersome and live unfriendly. - it's a good game but sometimes, i want to chuck it out the window.

The game itself it REALLY cool, but I gotta agree with you bigtime as far as being "live unfriendly". My friend and I were HORRIFIED at the amount of lag in this game....Looks like its just going to be one player.....Now espn footbal on the other hand, works GREAT online!
Old 01-19-04, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by rabbit77
Why didn't you listen to us? We said go get PGR2!

NOW!

I almost bought it that day, but to be perfectly honest with you, I am not a racing game fan at all. The only kind of games I like that have racing elements are Demolition derby style games, and games where you are the cops chasing people down, or vice versa, being chased down, or if the racing game is NOT realistic (like a mario kart type thing) but as far as serious racing games, they just never did anything for me. However, i will admit the graphics on PGR2 do look AMAZING (they had it set up to play at best buy) I may still get it, but only if it had some cool non serious arcadish type modes to it.

On a totally unrelated topic, out of all my purchases recently, I think crimson skies is SOOOOOO much fun. I have not worked up enough courage to go online with it yet,(I am afraid I suck... LOL) but the single player part is just blowing me away, I cannot even put into words how much fun I am having with it
Old 01-20-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pgr2 is NOT a serious racing game. there's a lot of bumping and crashing thru narrow city tracks. and, it is based on a Kudos point system. one of the most popular format of racing is Cat and Mouse where you team up w/ another player. 1 is a mini and the other an enzo. the idea is to get your mini to win and how you do it is pretty much up to you.

but, it is also very tough, imo. i know lots of people that have gotten all platinum medals, but i can barely get golds in most.

having said all that, if you don't like racing games, i'd stay away from pgr2.

midtown madness is also not a serious racing game.

as of right now, i think sega GT online will be the only serious car racing sim. hopefully rallisport 2 will also be more sim-like.
Old 01-20-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally posted by young
imo, top spin sucks for xbox live. it takes forever to load, it's cumbersome and live unfriendly. - it's a good game but sometimes, i want to chuck it out the window.

I agree 100%. Its fun as hell until you try and play it on XBL. Plus i suck really bad so it just frustrates the hell out of me.
Old 01-25-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another Rainbow Six question - can you adjust the controls enough so the left stick is used to freelook and the right stick moves forward/backwards and strafes? For some reason ever since the days of Goldeneye i have an almost impossible time playing any fps where i have to move with the left stick and look with the right.