Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Heat/True Lies DTS...debating...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I've been debating for some time about picking up the True Lies and Heat DTS editions from Japan. I'm hesitant to pick them up because both are having special editions released here in the US. Heat is confirmed. True Lies has been rumored for the last couple of years. What are the chances either one of them will have a DTS track? I know FOX has a good reputation for doing DTS tracks for their 2 disc special editions. Warner Bros has said they will not. Anyone have any ideas?

Wanted to pick up Sleepers as well but I guess that would fall into the same category as Heat (being a Warner Bros) property. But the big difference is that there havent been ANY rumors of that being re-released.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the HTF chat:

Hi Peter! Easy question... Can you confirm if or when we might
be getting the following Special Editions in 2004: The Fly:SE (1986), Predator:SE, True Lies:SE, and Romancing the Stone:SE?

<peterstaddon> Predator SE - yes just in time for Alien Vs Predator, The Fly should make it into 2004 but no promises. True Lies is dependent on getting a number of very busy people together to work on it. I don't know if a sitting Governor has done a commentary track before, and Jim Cameron has a truly crazy schedule. I'd love to bring it out in 2004 but I'm not too hopeful.

.........And let me say again, Heat in DTS is better than any 2 Disc edition that is coming this year.
Old 01-17-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Review of Heat and True Lies Jap R2 DTS versions here and here. Looks pretty good

Last edited by Squirrel God; 01-17-04 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-17-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking for these and a couple of the other recently released R2 Japan DTS titles....does anybody have a site they have used and can recommend?
Old 01-18-04, 01:09 AM
Banned

Yesasia.com is where I'm going to be getting them from.

Unfortunately they don't have Sleepers. I probably liked that movie the most.
Old 01-18-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tony, yesasia.com is good. I have had the best experience (and only one) with amazon.co.jp . Yes, it is in Japanese but once you figure out the price, the rest is in english (checkout).
Old 01-18-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also www.cdjapan.co.jp
Old 01-18-04, 10:16 AM
Banned

Yesasia.com has free shipping over $39 so if your'e going to order more than 1, it's your best bet. And I have had FANTASTIC experience with them and their customer service. Since they ship out of CA, it's a safer bet, in my world. I usually get my shipments within a week.

FYI...for those JUST looking for True Lies anamorphic, Koreandvds has it for $6 right now. I'm debating if I shouldn't just get that instead of spending another $30 for DTS.
Old 01-18-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, factor in the $14 for shipping from Koreandvd. I hate their shipping prices now. I remember about a year and half or so ago, would cost next to nothing to order from them.
Old 01-18-04, 01:24 PM
Banned

Just placed my order for both discs. Exciting I'll let you all know what I think when I receive them.

Actually...Koreandvd's has NEW shipping. It's less than it was....say...6 months ago...that's for sure. And I got it A LOT quicker. This last shipment took a little over a week.
Old 01-18-04, 06:07 PM

You can find an indepth comparison review of the new Japanese DTS release and the UK standard release of Heat here.
Old 01-18-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the store info, i placed an order through amazon (took me a little while, but i figured it out).
I have the Heat DTS dvd, was very happy with the quality of it. There wasnt a huge difference between the DTS and the R1 DD 5.1 quality, but its worth the money in my opinion.
Old 01-18-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still 14 dollars for 1 disc via registered mail. They used to give you a choice of air mail or registered. Now it is just registered mail. Not worth it if you ask me.
Old 01-18-04, 09:34 PM
Banned

I don't know what you're talking about. I just ordered the Robocop Boxed set and Carlito's Way and shipping was $9.82. That's for 4 discs. Plus they sent the Superbit Demo disc as well..so that's for 5. And as I said...it got to me in about a week.

And they DID give me the choice of registered or airmail. I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Not to change the subject or anything...
Old 01-19-04, 04:00 PM

I have both True Lies & Sleepers from CDJapan.

Sleepers I'm very pleased with great DTS track
and the flawless picture quality on my setup.

True lies: I feel I totally wasted the $ for DTS track.
My R4 has much better DD 5.1 than Japan DTS.
Japan DTS is way to low & I don't usually need to turn
up my receiver from -8 to -1.
My Receiver is...Pioneer 49tx.
Picture quality is the same flawless quality as R4 release.

Waiting for "Heat" to arrive from Yesasia.com.
Old 01-20-04, 12:26 AM

I have to agree with digitalfreaknyc...
I just placed an order with koreandvd.com 2 days ago and I was given the choice of EMS and Airmail...

For airmail, the typical shipping for up to 3 DVDs is $6.64, and $9.82 for 4. They even threw in a superbit sampler as well.
Old 01-20-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it appears that they changed it. About two months ago I asked them about shipping, since it showed just Registered. Here is exactly what they said from the board:

Me:

I recall ordering from here about a year ago and shipping being much less (at least 50-60% less). Why is it that the change was made from regular air mail (which always works for me when buying abroad) to registered airmail. The shipping costs more than the disc themselves sometimes. I would love nothing more than to purchase DVDS from this site as it has always been a favorite of mine. But with shipping costs the way they are now as compared to a year ago (without registered air mail), I find myself wanting to go elsewhere.

Maybe I missed something that was posted regarding shipping costs. If so, can you please explain? Why is it cheaper to ship from say Hong Kong as compared to Korea?

Thank you in advance

Them:

Yes, there had been a change in rates where US shipping has gotten more expensive. We started using registered mail for tracing purposes as we had some problems with regular air mail. For US, the option is much more expensive as US registers only Parcels whereas most countries will take our box(2-3 dvds) as "overweight documents." We are shipping US orders as full "Parcels."

Guess things changed again since that post (as I saw for myself at their site). Great to hear (and see).

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 01-20-04 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 12:25 PM

It was interesting that I ordered the Dances with Wolves deluxe edition ($32, 4 disc set w/ Extended and Theatrical cuts both in DTS and beautiful packaging) from koreandvd and selected standard air mail for about $6-$7. Received it via registered mail in about a week. Great service and a great set. . .

Also had a great experience with a recent order from yesasia. Can't say the same for aznfilms which has been a headache from day 1 (just one order tho).

Dave
Old 01-22-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesnt the Dances With Wolves set only have DTS on the Extended Version? I have the set (not sure if its the Korean one or the Japanese one), it has DTS on the extended, but only 5.1 on the theatrical cut....this is why i kept my old R1 Image release with DTS on the theatrical cut.
Old 01-23-04, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
Doesnt the Dances With Wolves set only have DTS on the Extended Version?
correct, only the extended version has dts - however it's fullrate dts and it getting quite rare these days
but having dts on a 3hour long movie (theatrical) + commenteries would be detrimental for the quality I'd think, if kept on single disc like this R3 release
Old 01-23-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yesasia.com is where I'm going to be getting them from.

That's where I got mine.

Well, I just finally got around to watching Heat and Sleepy Hollow DTS (had to buy a new player...ended up getting a Phillips 727)

Personally, I think both DVDs kill their Region 1 cousins (with the edge going to SH for having full bitrate). Also, I really didn't see a difference in PQ between both versions of Heat.

While I'm on the topic of DTS and Int'l DVDs.......... I just finished watching Underworld DTS (R3) and was completely blown away!!!! I'm curious why the DTS track was left off the R1 version.

Also, I should be getting Freddy vs. Jason and Wrong Turn (R3, DTS versions) in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-24-04, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by candyrocket786

While I'm on the topic of DTS and Int'l DVDs.......... I just finished watching Underworld DTS (R3) and was completely blown away!!!! I'm curious why the DTS track was left off the R1 version.

Also, I should be getting Freddy vs. Jason and Wrong Turn (R3, DTS versions) in a couple of weeks.
Does the underworld DVD have forced subs at all?
The Wrong Turn R3 Disc btw, is censored and non animorphic.
Old 01-24-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Candy... it's a Columbia title, so if they put the dts on staright away, they'd have less selling points for the inevitable superbit.
Old 01-24-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Brett C
Does the underworld DVD have forced subs at all?
No forced subs.

Originally posted by Brett C
The Wrong Turn R3 Disc btw, is censored and non animorphic.
Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'll see if I can cancel my order.
Old 02-01-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the Heat DTS was very well done, great sound, and i didnt notice any picture difference from the R1 version. If anyone here is considering the Sleepy Hollow DTS, go for it! I watched it the other night and the full bitrate DTS is simply unbelievable! I hadnt found any reviews on it before buying, but definately worth the money!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.