TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

West Wing 1/14

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Wing 1/14

THE BENIGN PREROGATIVE

WILL BARTLET BE IN A PARDONING MOOD BEFORE THE STATE OF THE 'UNION' SPEECH? GABRIELLE UNION AND MARLEE MATLIN GUEST-STAR -- As the State of the Union speech nears, the President (Martin Sheen) ponders a lengthy list of prisoners eligible for pardon -- but he must weigh the political implications of "the benign prerogative" -- while Charlie (Dule Hill) befriends an attractive young woman (guest star Gabrielle Union, "Bring It On") and shares insider tidbits until he learns that she will begin the White House beat as a reporter. Elsewhere, Toby (Richard Schiff) takes the heartland's temperature by joining pollster Joey (Oscar-winning guest star Marlee Matlin) on a mall polling tour that could affect the language of the upcoming speech. In addition, the First Lady (Stockard Channing) vows to be more pro-active in influencing her husband while Bartlet entertains a Colorado couple whose fundraising efforts also include an impassioned plea. John Spencer, Bradley Whitford, Allison Janney, Janel Moloney and Joshua Malina also star.
Old 01-14-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

toby tagging along to get the pulse of the average person?? let the hilarity ensue...
Old 01-15-04, 10:11 AM

I enjoyed this episode - it seems like everyone's getting their feet planted and this one felt more like an episode of WW that I'm used to.

The main thing I noticed was that the cool camera angles and transitions are back, as well as the snappy dialogue and solid story lines.

Gabrielle always helps too - she fine.
Old 01-15-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow, almost a full day after the airing and only 2 responses?!? anyway, i did think that this was a much better episode than many of the previous ones. it was good to see focus on donna and charlie. i can't remember the last time that charlie was given a good storyline. mind you, this may not be one but at leat he had more screen time than usual.

donna as usual was great. she always brings the common touch to everything when the powers that be seem to forget whom they are working for. when she told bartlett about what the mother said was absolutely fantastic. and the end scenes with her (and josh) were great as well.

i thought all in all it was a good first show of the new year. it's a shame that there will be no new one next week though.
Old 01-16-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This was my favorite show, probably of all time, when it started. I was concerned by Sorkin and Shalamme stopped writing it, but the episodes started strong.

The two episodes in the New Year have been downright awful. The biggest problem in my mind is that there is too much attention given to the President. This show was better when it focused on his staff.

This season needs a quick turnaround. Perhaps a good storyline would be the begining of the campaign of Bartlett's successor and what happens with that. Personally, I'd like to see Sam run (yes I realize a one term representative has no chance of being elected president) and steal Josh from the WW to run his campaign.