Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX Live/DSL configuration ?'s for a broadband newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX Live/DSL configuration ?'s for a broadband newbie

Hey all,

I'm appealing to the power of the DVDTalk forum for answers to my DSL & XBOX Live questions, since I'm sure some of you have been through this before.

For years, I avoided getting DSL or cable because I did most of my web surfing at work. Still do, for that matter. But last month, I bought an XBOX along with a few games. And now my buddies have been bugging me to get on XBOX live so we can play. Well, I suck at games, but I enjoy them, so I figure it would be worth my time. OTOH, I'm now hopelessly addicted to the Simpsons Hit & Run, but that's another thread.

Anyhoo, my DSL line was just activated earlier today, and when I leave home tonight I'll go hook it up. I'm running DSL through Qwest, and they provided me with an Actiontec 1524 DSL Gateway. It has four ethernet out ports on the back, one of which will (of course) go to my computer. I'm planning on sending another ethernet cable to the XBOX, and I'm hoping all will be well.

But my question is this: is a gateway different than a router? Looking on xbox.com, my modem/router is not listed as "approved" for XBOX Live. Should I connect the modem to the computer via USB and use Windows ICS instead?

Additionally, the cable my phone company sent to connect the modem to the phone jack isn't nearly long enough. Am I correct in assuming it's just a standard phone line, and I could use a longer one with the same results?

Also, for those of you that have chosen a gamertag, how many characters can the tag be? I'm trying to come up with some ideas before I sign up.

Finally, after I get set up on XBOX Live, if my brother wants to play online with me, would he need his own account or can he piggyback mine as a guest?

Thanks in advance!

Spanky
(formerly steelcurtain)

Last edited by Spanky BananaPants; 01-13-04 at 10:58 AM.