DVD Talk
What do the #'s on spine of Criterion DVD mean? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum
 
Best Sellers
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
9.
10.
DVD Blowouts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99
8.
9.
10.

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What do the #'s on spine of Criterion DVD mean?


OldBoy
01-12-04, 06:35 PM
I did a search and came across like 25 pages and another forum which wsn't much help. Could someone give me a short explanation of what the # on the spine of the Criterion Collection DVD's mean? example: 2 on Seven Samurai? Thanks in advance. I will delete this post once answered so as not to repeat.

marty888
01-12-04, 06:40 PM
The first DVD they issued had a 1 on the spine.... the second DVD they issued had a 2 on the spine .... the third DVD they issued had a 3 on the spine ..

Not really that challenging of a problem to figure out....

Jackskeleton
01-12-04, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by marty888
The first DVD they issued had a 1 on the spine.... the second DVD they issued had a 2 on the spine .... the third DVD they issued had a 3 on the spine ..

Not really that challenging of a problem to figure out....

:lol: :lol: rotfl :lol: :lol:

You brighten my day. thank you.

talemyn
01-12-04, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by marty888
The first DVD they issued had a 1 on the spine.... the second DVD they issued had a 2 on the spine .... the third DVD they issued had a 3 on the spine ..

Not really that challenging of a problem to figure out.... Okay I'll admit that that was really funny, but to help the guy out at least . . .


. . . you can get all kinds of information on the Criterion Collection here: http://www.criterioncollection.com/.

X
01-12-04, 07:32 PM
#1 was not released first. At least 10 Criterions had been released prior to Grand Illusion.

I believe it is the order they announced the releases, not the actual order the DVDs were released.

If you look at the release dates of numbers close to each other you'll see they're all over the place, only generally getting later as the number increases. For obvious reasons.

I also seem to remember something about Grand Illusion being denoted as #1 because it was considered their most important release or the best movie ever made, something like that.

Jackskeleton
01-12-04, 07:53 PM
Isn't there any connection between the numbering of titles on LD and DVD? I thought that was the reason some of the numbers were all over the place because they were fitting in with the LD numbering as well.

but don't quote me that one. :p

gutwrencher
01-12-04, 07:55 PM
Jackskeleton-

(29.95 posts per day)

-eek-

will you be the very first dvdtalk god? http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/notworthy.gif

Jackskeleton
01-12-04, 08:02 PM
No, a combination of small ball fantasy threads and tweaky already passed me on that one. :p

DVDho78DTS
01-12-04, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by gutwrencher
Jackskeleton-

(29.95 posts per day)

-eek-

will you be the very first dvdtalk god? http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/notworthy.gif

... and just in case you don't know who tweaky is it is twikoff. He has 44,009 posts as of this one.

BTW, it is kinda ironic how jack spelt interesting wrong under interests in his profile. He probably already knows since it has been like that for the longest time. :D

Jackskeleton
01-12-04, 08:22 PM
Oh, my gammer is just another one of those nice dvdtalk staples you can always count on being a constant. So if you can't find a flaw in my arguments or stance on something, turn to the spelling. ;)

P.S. you need to also mention the F.A.Q about the misspelling of Skellington in my user name itself.. that's a common question that hasn't shown up in a while. ;)

lesterlong
01-12-04, 08:35 PM
The spine numbers mean keep buying them all.

HistoryProf
01-12-04, 08:38 PM
they are all part of the grand combination that is required to get into heaven....therefore you MUST buy all of them unless you want your soul to burn in hell for all eternity....

Jackskeleton
01-12-04, 08:45 PM
gotta catch them all..

Hokeyboy
01-12-04, 09:18 PM
Using a Moonstone, I evolved my Armageddon into a La Règle du Jeu. I sense a Thunder badge in my future!

QuiGonJosh
01-13-04, 05:33 AM
The Spine numbers are pretty...thats all you need to know...

wendersfan
01-13-04, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by X
#1 was not released first. At least 10 Criterions had been released prior to Grand Illusion.

I believe it is the order they announced the releases, not the actual order the DVDs were released.

If you look at the release dates of numbers close to each other you'll see they're all over the place, only generally getting later as the number increases. For obvious reasons.

I also seem to remember something about Grand Illusion being denoted as #1 because it was considered their most important release or the best movie ever made, something like that. Actually, they intended to release it first, but during production a better quality film negative was discovered, so they went back and made the DVD from it, delaying the release by several months. Ironically, almost the exact same thing happened with the release of Rules of the Game.

boston george
01-13-04, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Using a Moonstone, I evolved my Armageddon into a La Règle du Jeu. I sense a Thunder badge in my future!


:lol: Pokemon humor! :lol: ...I'm such a geek... ;)

jayson1017
01-13-04, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
... and just in case you don't know who tweaky is it is twikoff. He has 44,009 posts as of this one.




How can you tell the number of posts one has posted? I'd like to know how many posts I've posted...


EDIT: Nevermind, I found out...

FreshOne
01-13-04, 12:50 PM
A subtle correction... They assign the spine number when they begin production on a title. Since they originally intended Grand Illusion to be #1, they began production on it first, and as people have posted it took longer than expected. Thats why it was released along side much much higher spine numbers.

eau
01-13-04, 12:53 PM
They put the spine number on the DVDs so that you would want to collect them all. A few missing numbers in the midst of the collection stands out like a sore thumb for a collector.

Josh H
01-13-04, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by eau
They put the spine number on the DVDs so that you would want to collect them all. A few missing numbers in the midst of the collection stands out like a sore thumb for a collector.

Exactly. Just a marketing device to get obsessive collectors to buy them all, even if they aren't interested in some of the movies.

Not that there's anything wrong with collectors, but that's why criterion put the numbers on their IMO.

X
01-13-04, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification about Grand Illusion.

As you can see from the list below, the release date of the early Criterions doesn't have much to do with the spine number.

#1 Grand Illusion 11/23/1999
#2 Seven Samurai 3/16/1999
#3 The Lady Vanishes 5/27/1998
#4 Amarcord 4/14/1998
#5 The 400 Blows 3/31/1998
#6 Beauty and the Beast 6/3/1998
#7 A Night to Remember 5/16/1998
#8 The Killer 3/30/1998
#9 Hard Boiled 3/30/1998
#10 Walkabout 10/1/1999
#11 The Seventh Seal 2/2/1999
#12 This Is Spinal Tap 7/8/1998
#13 Silence of the Lambs 7/14/1998
#14 Samurai I 7/21/1998
#15 Samurai II 7/21/1998
#16 Samurai III 7/21/1998
#17 Saló 8/12/1998
#18 The Naked Kiss 8/26/1998
#19 Shock Corridor 8/26/1998
#20 Sid & Nancy 10/28/1999
#21 Dead Ringers 10/14/1998
#22 Summertime 9/9/1998
#23 RoboCop 9/29/1998
#24 High and Low 10/14/1998
#25 Alphaville 4/4/2000
#26 The Long Good Friday 12/1/1998
#27 Flesh for Frankenstein 12/15/1998
#28 Blood for Dracula 12/15/1998
#29 Picnic at Hanging Rock 10/20/1998
#30 M 10/20/1998

jough
01-13-04, 01:37 PM
Actually, nearly every DVD has a spine number.

You're just less likely to buy every release from Warner Bros. or MGM.

talemyn
01-13-04, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by eau
They put the spine number on the DVDs so that you would want to collect them all. A few missing numbers in the midst of the collection stands out like a sore thumb for a collector. Mix 'em in with your other DVD's and sort them alphabetically and you won't even notice that there are missing numbers. ;)

Jackskeleton
01-13-04, 03:16 PM
To me, Blade runner will always be #19. :(
I'm still holding out to see if #325 will still be trainspotting...

danwiz
01-13-04, 06:40 PM
I'll repeat Jason1017's question: How can you find out how many posts you have made? Even though he found it, I can't find it anywhere!!

Thanks in advance!

talemyn
01-13-04, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by danwiz
I'll repeat Jason1017's question: How can you find out how many posts you have made? Even though he found it, I can't find it anywhere!!

Thanks in advance! Click on this -----> http://ads.kleinman.com/images/profile.gif above any one of your posts . . .

danwiz
01-13-04, 07:34 PM
Thanks talemyn! WOW, never clicked on that little icon! Interesting!

You're a good man - as I have said in the past!

DVD Smurf
01-13-04, 07:40 PM
My precious, when can I get the next preciooouuuusss... :D

Hokeyboy
01-13-04, 08:11 PM
You know what's a really good movie? Night Shift.

Kerborus
01-13-04, 09:39 PM
The spine numbers are meant to ensnare collection addicts. Those of us with this affliction feel compelled to buy them ALL.

I love Jackskeleton's spelling - whenever we are sparring about Buffy or something, I whip out a quick one about the way he spells something. It's quite an edge...!

milo bloom
01-13-04, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by talemyn
Mix 'em in with your other DVD's and sort them alphabetically and you won't even notice that there are missing numbers. ;)

Or put them with their respective genres. Check out my DVDAf link for examples. Once you start doing that, you'll never notice.

FilmFanSea
01-13-04, 10:46 PM
Mine are sorted by director--and the Criterion's get no special treatment ...

talemyn
01-14-04, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by danwiz
Thanks talemyn! WOW, never clicked on that little icon! Interesting!

You're a good man - as I have said in the past! Thanks . . . happy to help. :)

FreshOne
01-14-04, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by talemyn
Mix 'em in with your other DVD's and sort them alphabetically and you won't even notice that there are missing numbers. ;) BLASPHEMY! Mixing them with the commoners?

TheHistorian
01-14-04, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by FilmFanSea
Mine are sorted by director--and the Criterion's get no special treatment ...

Same strategy here.

DVD Smurf
01-14-04, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by TheHistorian
Same strategy here. as with FilmFanSea