TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

E.R. - 01/08/04

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
E.R. - 01/08/04

"Touch and Go"

Dr. Carter returns from Africa accompanied by a new love, Makemba (Thandie Newton); Drs. Pratt and Gallant argue over a personal matter.

Cast: Noah Wyle, Laura Innes, Alex Kingston, Goran Visnjic, Maura Tierney, Paul McCrane, Ming-Na Wen, Sherry Stringfield, Sharif Atkins, Mekhi Phifer, Linda Cardellini, Thandie Newton.
Producer(s): John Wells, Michael Crichton, Neal Baer, Jack Orman.

Pretty good episode. I'm still not happy w/ what Carter did to Abby, but I guess I will get over it. I wish they would have stayed together, but they always had to bring her damn family into the mix. Oh well, the show can go in new directions now. I'm just glad she's back in med school.

I'm starting to like Pratt - too bad he had a shitty day on all fronts. Got played by Gallant's sister and paralyzed a kid - too much.

I knew Luka would stay - I don't think it will be too long before him and Sam hook up. What the hell did her son do to himself, I missed that?

Where the hell was Lewis?

This show had too much Weaver...
Old 01-08-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda ho-hum episode.
Although the whole pratt thing was done very well.

The way they presented next week's episode. Absolutely awful.
What's with all that baby touchy feely crap?
Blech.
Old 01-09-04, 02:17 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
ok episode

I'm glad they didn't do as bad a job as I thought they would with the Abby/Carter meeting. It'd be nice if we got a break from doctor/nurse romance but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Sam's kid needs to go.
Old 01-09-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For one brief, fleeting, wonderful instant...I thought the little twit had tried to self-administer anesthesia and killed himself. Damn them for teasing me like that.

John Carter: bearded stud muffin.

I loved the Pratt subplot w/ Gallant's sis. Kind of like Boomerang.

Greg Pratt is THE MAN.
Old 01-09-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Someone catch me up as I had bailed on ER for the past year and half and only started watching again recently. Did Abby and Carter officially breakup before he went to Africa? Did they end well, or was it bad? It sounded as if Abby was dealing with issues (other than her brother and mother?).
Old 01-09-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I thought it was pretty good. Anyone else think John's (fugly) girlfriend acted like she hit the lottery when she got knocked up? She was not hating the house like I thought she would.
I like the Sam character, but her kid has turned into this season's Abbie's family, we get it please move on.

BTW what did the phschopath do to his leg, or try to do to his leg?
Old 01-09-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did notice that in the post-Rocket Romano era, Maura Tierney got bumped up to 2nd billing in the credits, and Laura Innes now has the "And...Laura Innes" at the end of the credits (previous held by Paul Crane).

Carter finally returns, and picks up like he never left the ER. He is in dire need of a haircut, though. Carter is way too happy, so I expect complications with either Kimba or the baby's delivery.

Pratt had one of the worst days you can have in the ER: snapping a patient's neck (acting a bit too rashly without considering the patient's fragile condition), and getting "played" by Gallant's sister.

The Sympathy Hurl was a sordid sight gag.

Carter and Abby's resolution to their past relationship was quickly dispensed with, but I wonder if it's truly dead.

Kovach appears to be falling for Sam and her boy, pushing back his trip to the Congo.
Old 01-09-04, 09:44 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Sunday Morning

What's with all that baby touchy feely crap?
Blech.
I believe there's much more to the next episode than what was presented. Besides, med students have to take a rotation in that unit at some point.
Old 01-09-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Carter finally returns, and picks up like he never left the ER. He is in dire need of a haircut, though. Carter is way too happy, so I expect complications with either Kimba or the baby's delivery.

Carter and Abby's resolution to their past relationship was quickly dispensed with, but I wonder if it's truly dead.
You know what, I was thinking the same thing. Something bad is going to happen w/ Kimba and/or the pregnancy - she seemed so hesitant about coming to America initially, but once she's there she all of a sudden so care-free and happy, wth? What about her big project in the Congo - that's going to have to come back into play sometime...
Old 01-09-04, 12:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by hahn
Someone catch me up as I had bailed on ER for the past year and half and only started watching again recently. Did Abby and Carter officially breakup before he went to Africa? Did they end well, or was it bad? It sounded as if Abby was dealing with issues (other than her brother and mother?).
The relationship was falling apart right about the time Carter left and he later dumped her in a letter he wrote from Africa.
Old 01-09-04, 03:19 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked last nights episode.

I was afraid it would be a return to the Carter/Abby thing dominating the show like last year, but thankfully it was just kept as a smaller sub plot.
Old 01-09-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
I thought it was pretty good. Anyone else think John's (fugly) girlfriend acted like she hit the lottery when she got knocked up?
Wow. A kindred spirit.
So wait, her character is preggy with Carter's seed?
Old 01-09-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, Kimba got knocked up by Carter (and it appeared to have happened the first time they knocked boots).
Old 01-09-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, Kimba got knocked up by Carter (and it appeared to have happened the first time they knocked boots).
Thanks. Must have been some pretty potent stuff then.
Old 01-09-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
or at the very least get a haircut

Originally posted by MrX

Sam's kid needs to go.
Old 01-09-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrX
The relationship was falling apart right about the time Carter left and he later dumped her in a letter he wrote from Africa.
Thanks MrX!
Old 01-09-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Pratt ... (acting a bit too rashly without considering the patient's fragile condition) ...
Pratt had no idea about the fragile condition of the kid. If he did, that would make him a bigger fool than Morris.
Old 01-09-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That whole "I just got here, bring me up to speed" tag team technique they employ is bound to cause trouble, sooner or later.
Old 01-10-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, Pratt knew about the kid's fragile state because Carter handed off the kid to Pratt and the med students, and one of the students asked the kid about his collar, and the kid tells them that the collar was made by his father and he describes his affliction. I just reviewed the episode.
Old 01-10-04, 01:20 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts
Something I noticed in this episode:

Is Laura Innes Pregnant? They seem to have been "hiding" her with things in this episode
Old 01-10-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe it's not his. Abby even made a comment about how they must have hooked up right after he got there.
Old 01-10-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by AndyCapps
I believe there's much more to the next episode than what was presented. Besides, med students have to take a rotation in that unit at some point.
Yet another episode "we won't ever forget"

Agree about the kid not being Carter's.
Old 01-10-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only Kimba knows for sure. But they did discuss this in a recent episode when Kimba breaks the news to Carter. I think the kid is Carter's.