Community
Search

Top 2003 Rental (DVD & VHS) - "The Bourne Identity"

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top 2003 Rental (DVD & VHS) - "The Bourne Identity"

I guess the DVD Rental companies should stock less of the DVD titles that they know people will purchase instead of renting.

I am surprised that "The Bourne Identity" is the #1 rental for the year.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...sure_videos_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "The Bourne Identity," an espionage thriller starring Matt Damon (news) as a CIA (news - web sites) assassin on the run with amnesia, was the top-renting U.S. home video of 2003, according to year-end figures issued on Thursday.

Combined revenues from DVD and VHS rentals of "Bourne Identity," released on video last January, totaled nearly $79.2 million for the year, said Rentrack Corp., which tracks point-of-retail data for the industry.

Close behind at No. 2 for the year was the Leonardo DiCaprio (news) con-artist caper "Catch Me If You Can," which was released on video in May 2003 and generated rental revenues of $75.5 million, Rentrack said.

"Signs," the crop circle mystery starring Mel Gibson (news), ranked third with rentals totaling more than $74.9 million since its video release in January 2003.

In part due to the lag time between theatrical and video releases of films, home rental patterns differ considerably from box office business in any given year. And many movie fans who miss a film in cinemas for one reason or another will catch up with it once it's out on video.

The top-grossing theatrical release in the United States for 2003 was the computer-animated underwater adventure "Finding Nemo," which has grossed about $340 million.

The Johnny Depp (news) swashbuckler "The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," was No. 2 at the U.S. box office last year with more than $305 million in ticket sales.

By comparison, "The Bourne Identity," which was released in theaters in June 2002, grossed about $121 million at the U.S. box office. "Catch Me If You Can" grossed $164 million in theaters after its release in December 2002.

Rounding out the top-renting videos of 2003 were: "Sweet Home Alabama" ($74.8 million), "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" ($74.2 million), "The Ring" ($68.9 million), "How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days" ($66.2 million), "Bringing Down the House" ($64.2 million), "Maid in Manhattan" ($62.3 million) and "Two Weeks Notice" ($62.1 million).
Old 01-08-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprising, but I guess it makes sense if you think about it. Thanks.
Old 01-08-04, 05:44 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It stands to reason since it was released in January. It's been sitting on the shelves all year as opposed to something like Pirates that was only released in December. It's difficult to judge rentals as there are more factors weighing on it as opposed to theatrical releases or purchases.
Old 01-08-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe that it's not pointed out that this kind of stat in this day in age is almost a stigma. Because in a day when so many buy movies, it really only serves to say that this movie was not good enough to own, so it rented hot. I'd much rather be the top SELLING movie title than the top RENTAL.