Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Mondo Cane & Hitchcock Criterion sets. Where to find?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I could not afford either set when released being tight on money & all. I am hoping to be able to purchase these within a month or two,when I should have enough to afford them. But sadly it appears,they are becoming scarce online,some sites don't even have them listed anymore,while others are 'On Order'(not a good sign).

I forgot to check Best Buy when I was their a couple days ago. I saw one of each set in the bo set areas,alittle pricy,but right now that does not matter..especially when they were only a few bucks more than some online prices.

So can anyone who locates copies of these either online or in stores post her & please keep those of us who were unlucky enough to have to wait on these releases updated?
Old 01-08-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DeepDiscountDVD.com had the Mondo Cane set last I checked, and for a pretty decent price too (under $90 shipped). As for the Criterion Hitchcock set, I couldn't turn up anything for you...sorry.
Old 01-08-04, 01:59 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following online retailers seem to have the Hitchcock boxset in stock:

Barnes & Nobles $112.45
Best Buy $119.99
Old 01-08-04, 02:56 AM

Well I also skimmed ebay,Criterion set is going to be up there in price,as all the auctions were $50 at lowest,but with plenty of bidders,which means they will go up up up.

Mondo was another issue altogether,some new auctions which had bids were only $10. So for the hell of it,I put in a bid on one set,since the seller had 99% positive feedback. I am sure I will be outbid on the very last day,but it never hurts to try

I will check BB tomorrow to see if they still have copies. If they do,they may be on the shelves for awhile given the high prices,which means I could walk in,pay & proudly leave with them when I have some money. They are my MUST get titles when I have some cash. Forget other releases,I want these,not because they are rare. But because I have always wanted to see these films & they are the best(in some ways only) releases out there.
Old 01-08-04, 03:09 AM

BB.com is out of the Hitch set,it is on back order,which is not a good sign.

B&N though seem to have both copies of Hitch & Mondo left,since they are still listed as 'usually shipped within 24 hours' which is a very good sign.

Somehow I never got to these Hitch films yet,after seeing about 95% of his other work. So I would love to get this set. Have heard about the Mondo films for years,never thought I would get the chance to see them,which also makes the set special.

Now if only I could get some cash fast,but I am working on it trying to get something together.
Old 01-08-04, 09:47 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I was in Best Buy after Christmas and they had 2 Mondo Cane box sets on the shelf priced at 129.99 each.
Old 01-08-04, 10:03 AM

Both of the sets are now out of print so if online retailers don't have them in stock they probably won't be getting more. My local Best Buy had lots of the Mondo Cane box in stock, for something like $120. I don't remember seeing the Hitchcock box there.
Old 01-08-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For Mondo Cane as a last resort you could try Tower Records, but expect to pay close to full retail.
Old 01-08-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen both sets at Best Buy, Borders, Tower and Fry's in the past week.
Old 01-08-04, 12:50 PM

if you are short on money...try this. although not the best place to save $...if you can locate a copy at Borders, they will hold one for you but only for about 3 days. if the Borders supplier has them in stock to ship, order a set for NOTHING...then after it arrives, you will have 30 days to pick it up. this is only if you can have Borders somehow confirm they have it in-stock at the warehouse. I'd order it anyway, just in case. there is no obligation to buy what you order.
Old 01-08-04, 12:50 PM

I got mine from DDD during the 20% off sale.
Old 01-08-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mljones99
I got mine from DDD during the 20% off sale.
That's helpful.

There's a couple on Ebay right now, one with a buy-it-now around $100 if you want to go that route....the same seller had a ton of them a week ago.

you might also try half.com while it still exists...and any best buys in your area might still have it...I was in my local one yesterday and they had one on the shelf still.....
Old 01-08-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I just seen some dude at the exchange forum having the Mondo Cane for $85.
Old 01-08-04, 02:06 PM

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=339904
Old 01-08-04, 02:10 PM
Banned

One local Best Buy had 63 copies of The mondo Cane Collection in stock two days before Christmas. I have no idea how many they now have.
Old 01-08-04, 03:33 PM

Thanks about the Borders info, I have one three blocks from my house,though the 'sales' are not that good,usually a buck or two below retail,lol. But still in this case,I don't mind.

They have all their box sets behind glass & for the most part,have plenty of stuff including Criterions that are hard to find,but still in stock there. So as a last resort,not bad afterall. Also will ask a clerk about ordering,coudl awlays put a tiny bit of money away from each paycheck & wait a month or so,then go & buy it easily.

I will also swing by BB in alittle bit as well,just to check. I wanted to get the Mondo set when I purchased my notebook computer(which I would then have two years to pay off with no interest(,but sadly after the taxes + fees for virus programs,it maxed out my card in a flash. They did say you could go 10% over the limit,which would have given me enough to purchase the set. But I decided against that at the time,just in case since I don't want to be stuck with a huge debt(got jipped before on credit) & when I came back an hour later to pick up the pc after they installed the virus programs etc,I decided to pick up the set..& my card would now not work & they did not know how to get the 10% over the limit as I was told,so I just said 'forget it!'. I am still waiting for my $100 rebate,I already payed $50 off the bill,so if I got the rebate & used that on my bill. I would have enough on my card to get the set.

It sucks though,since at the time of both releases,I was broke. Then recently over the holidays,I was getting aton of hours & making good money. Then as usual,when I have money to spend & be free for a brief moment. Everything goes wrong & sucks all my money away,including car repairs being the big one...& now I am back to sqaure one(again).

Ahh how I wish I were a millionare,though I am going to look into modeling on the side to make some extra cash,while going to college which starts next week. So hopefully I will be able to start affording more stuff then without being so broke.
Old 01-08-04, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Also will ask a clerk about ordering,coudl awlays put a tiny bit of money away from each paycheck & wait a month or so,then go & buy it easily.

exactly!! this is the main reason I buy there often. I love ordering 10 or 20 titles and having them there...waiting for me for when I can go pick them up. one of the few places to order...for free up front.

dont forget you can also order something at no charge...on-line thru their ordering/inventory page. select "your" store and have at it!

HERE is a link.
Old 01-08-04, 04:19 PM

oops....sad news. it looks like "my" store does not have it in stock nor can they obtain it. hopefully your store has one in stock. if not, you'll have to explore the other options in the thread. sorry.
Old 01-08-04, 05:49 PM

You can try www.bestprices.com. I've bought box sets from them in the past and their shipping is fast and cheap! You can get the Mondo Cane box for $93.40 and that includes shipping. As of January 8th they have 35 copies in stock. Good luck!
Old 01-08-04, 06:35 PM

Well my favorite store has both in stock!

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=552229 - $84.90 For Mondo Cane

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=51306 - $86.63 For Wrong Men & Notorious Women
Old 01-08-04, 08:20 PM

Those dvdpacific prices are awsome!

Hmm,that would be about $172 rough esitmate excluding shipping costs. I 'could' try to find a way in order to order those by going going half & half with my checking &(what little I have left) savings account. That way I would still have a decent amount of money left in checking.

Though all in all,I better look into modeling on the side fast in order to get by. Since no matter how hard I work(which includes full or nearly full time hours..but now cut down by college)). They still rip off in pay,that I can't afford to live on my own. I plan to go into business for myself after college & may even look into filmmaking as well. Then I will really be able to enjoy life

Oh yeah,Borders had one copy of Mondo Cane,zero of Hitchcock. BB had zero of each,despite having copies last week(!). Did not check the BB in Maplewood which had 5 Hitches about a month ago,because rush hour was bad as usual & it would take forever to get to & from the store(you would think all these people would attempt alternate routes instead of clogging up all the major freeways & streets?). I bet they are out though now anyway.
Old 01-08-04, 09:53 PM

They do have some excellent all round prices and great range of titles so I typically find myself finding something to buy there just about daily.

Another great thing I like about them is that anything shipping over 2 discs goes USPS priority so have in 2 days normally.
Old 01-12-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDPacific is out of stock on the Hitch set, but they still have the Mondo set.

I ordered my Hitch set from them Friday, and it looks like I got in just in time.

I have to hold off on the Mondo set until next paycheck, but I'm sure there will still be copies floating around out there for a reasonable price.

I just checked DDD and they still have the Mondo set in stock for $89.98. They might be your best bet.
Old 01-12-04, 01:28 PM

I ordered the Hitch set from BN.com about a week and a half ago and got it the other day, so they are still shipping some. I don't know how many they have now though.

I have seen Mondo in almost every Best Buy I have been in, hell, I think I have seen it in just about every store I have been in. Of course B&M store prices suck most of the times though.
Old 01-12-04, 03:02 PM

Well good thing I did not buy these yet,as the cost of my college text books is insane..& is going to break me. I do have a couple hundred left in savings though. I better get cracking on my online scheme fast(mature forum) in order to make some extra cash.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.