Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Vacation box set any good?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I was thinking of getting the Ultimate Vacation box set if it was any good. I had several questions:

-Is Europen Vacation edited in the box set?
- Are Christmas and Vegas original versions?
- How are the features/transfers on all the discs (the only one I have heard anything on is Vacation.)

Do you guys recommend a purchase on this? I like the movies, but is the set worth it? If so, where is it cheapest?
Old 01-07-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I got mine with the DDD 20% off deal...all four versions are the theatrical versions - although I know some TV versions of European Vacation were different than the theatrical version, so I'm not sure what you mean by "edited".

Chevy does commentary on the first two movies...by himself for European Vacation and with Harold Ramis, Anthony Michael Hall, Dana Baron and Matty Simmons for the original Vacation. There's also a commentary track for Christmas Vacation, but Chevy doesn't participate. Of those commentaries, the one on the original Vacation is by far the most entertaining. Vegas Vacation is pretty much bare bones, but it is widescreen anamorphic and contains the theatrical trailer.
Old 01-07-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think with vaction 1, there may have been problems with the music as many cuts of hte movie are missing/have changed music cues, especially during Christie Brinkley's scenes.
Old 01-08-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
i think with vaction 1, there may have been problems with the music as many cuts of hte movie are missing/have changed music cues, especially during Christie Brinkley's scenes.
"I'm So Excited" has been replaced by "Little Boy Sweet" in one of Christie's scenes...so now it's ("Little Boy Sweet") used in a couple of spots instead of just one...probably because the royalites for The Pointer Sisters song were insane. But there are no missing scenes, although TV versions of the film have added different moments that are not on this DVD.
Old 01-08-04, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks guys. So overall, it is worth it? What I meant by "edited" for Euro Vaca. was that I have heard that some of the more risky scenes have been somewhat cut because it really should have been R instead of PG-13. I was just wondering if this was true.
Old 01-08-04, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Willh51
Thanks guys. So overall, it is worth it? What I meant by "edited" for Euro Vaca. was that I have heard that some of the more risky scenes have been somewhat cut because it really should have been R instead of PG-13. I was just wondering if this was true.
Despite what you've heard (and what the creators mistakenly say on the Vacation commentary track), European Vacation was a PG-13 release in the theaters. It contains nudity in two scenes, but it is now and has always been rated PG-13.