Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

(R2) HEAT: SE, why not R1?!

Old 01-07-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read on the Digital Bits rumor mill that Warner is releasing a 2-disc SE of Michael Mann's 1995 cop/crook epic HEAT in the UK in July.

I sure hope this makes it across the pond into R1!
Old 01-07-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the same article, not two breaths later they relay the fact that we will most likely see it and others in the Fall over here.
Old 01-07-04, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2-Disc SE is coming later this year it was mentioned in one of the other threads, I just don't remember which one.
Old 01-07-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know anything about it, but I think it will be a HUGE seller when it comes. Definately a tough get week one I'd bet, as I think the audience that is loyal to this film is underestimated.
Old 01-07-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I don't know anything about it, but I think it will be a HUGE seller when it comes. Definately a tough get week one I'd bet, as I think the audience that is loyal to this film is underestimated.
I don't think it'll be as big as Goodfellas, or even Scarface for that matter.
Old 01-07-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Heat is not considered anywhere near the above mentioned movies by most people. I thought it was a good movie, but I don't think it will sell that big either.
Old 01-07-04, 06:44 PM
JIF

This re-release of HEAT would rival sales for GOODFELLAS & SCARFACE combined if Pacino and Deniro did the commentary together.
Old 01-07-04, 07:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by JIF
This re-release of HEAT would rival sales for GOODFELLAS & SCARFACE combined if Pacino and Deniro did the commentary together.
I would not go that far.
Old 01-07-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JIF
AFAIK, De Niro has only done one commentary for Meet the Parents, and his contribution was DULL. Besides, there's no way Heat would sell anywhere near as good as the other titles mentioned.
Old 01-07-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You really think the masses rush out to buy DVDs because of commentaries? Think again.
Old 01-07-04, 09:00 PM

DeNiro did commentary for Analyze This.
Old 01-07-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know guys, I think you underestimate the Joe Six Pack mentality that this is their "lost classic". It's a must own for anyone with any sort of home theater for the gunfight scene alone, and I think this would definately trump Scarface in a big way. Again, suprisingly. Goodfellas, I'm not so sure, that should be a big deal, but it's slaes would be tempered if it's only availble as part of box set with some of his other films with less mainstream appeal in 2004.

I mean, with a big release, a movie won't sell out, but I meant this would be a tough get because I think B&M's might under order it, and it would be a success the way the Ric Flair or the Fear and Loathing sets were, in that it was hard to find one of these in some places because the audience was underestimated.
Old 01-07-04, 11:03 PM
Banned

Funny...i liked this movie a HELLUVA lot more than Scarface or Goodfellas. I think Scarface is overrated and haven't seen Goodfellas in years so I'll have to give that a second shot when it comes out. Heat just has a really great style to it. I loved almost everything about it. I actually want to get the DTS Japanese disc that just came out but I'm holding out. I'm hoping WB pulls their head out of their asses and puts it on this upcoming disc.
Old 01-07-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that if this special edition is coming out, that it should definately feature a DTS track. I just ordered the Japanese DTS dvd, but if the features were good on the R1 spec edition, i wouldnt mind triple dipping for this great movie.
Old 01-08-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Heat is a better movie than Scarface but not quite as good Goodfellas. I'm sure it would be a big seller. I know I can't wait for the SE.
Old 01-08-04, 03:59 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do realize that, though I can't find the link where I'd originally read this, HEAT was (much like THE MATRIX) in the top 10 best-selling Warner Bros. DVDs for about three years straight, yes? Don't underestimate this gem by its theatrical gross--it's become quite the beloved home video classic since then, and will be a monster hit as a 2-disc S.E., I'm sure.
Old 01-08-04, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
[B]I don't know guys, I think you underestimate the Joe Six Pack mentality that this is their "lost classic".
Arrogant, are we?
Old 01-09-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rusty James
Arrogant, are we?
Not as arrogant as you are presumptious. I consider myself a J6P. Now while I'd venture a guess and say a cinefile would consider shall we say "Brazil" a lost classic, few J6P's will. But Heat was neither a box office smash(performed well but wasn't a monster) and didn't win any awards. Ergo, I think many have discovered this on video, where many recent "lost classics" have found their audience.
Old 01-09-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by JIF
Yeah, but they'd each record the tracks for their scenes separately, only coming together for one scene, where you still never hear the both of them at the same time.
Old 01-18-04, 10:55 PM

I'm more interested in improved picture quality than a DTS track (the DD5.1 is already fantastic). There's some noticeable artifacting on the existing disc and it's from that period when all catalog Warner DVDs were kinda washed out and light.
Old 01-19-04, 12:45 AM
Banned

Well, you won't have to worry about a DTS track. This is WB. They don't do DTS any more.
Old 01-19-04, 01:58 PM

The only WB discs that had DTS was the Lethal Weapon DC's.

They better do this title right.
Old 01-19-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Lovitz
The only WB discs that had DTS was the Lethal Weapon DC's.

They better do this title right.
Interview With the Vampire SE and Twister SE had it as well.
Old 01-19-04, 03:32 PM

Well, I have the original release, and although I generally try to avoid buying "upgrades", I would probably spring for a R1 SE if it included enough quality extras. Michael Mann has directed some of my most watched films (Thief, TLOTM, Heat).

BTW, remember (another Michael Mann film) THE KEEP from the 80s ? Wasn't there a grassroots push to get that released on DVD?
Old 01-19-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Yeah, but they'd each record the tracks for their scenes separately, only coming together for one scene, where you still never hear the both of them at the same time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.