Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DVD-Jon SMITES Hollywood, Finally wins his case!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like young Norwegian computer whiz Jon Lech Johansen can finally rest easy after years of legal challenges. State prosecutors announced Monday that they won't appeal a recent court ruling in his favour.

That means the latest legal victory for Johansen, known as DVD-Jon, will be left standing. The now-20-year-old computer expert won't need to defend himself once again before Norway's supreme court.
Johansen had been charged with copyright infringement after he helped create a computer program called DeCSS. The program, which he publicized on the Internet, allows owners of DVD films to view them on computers instead of DVD players.

Prosecutors, backed by the powerful American entertainment industry, charged the program also opened up the DVDs to pirate copying.

The Norwegian courts, however, disagreed. They contended that DVD-Jon couldn't be held accountable or punished for others' use of his program.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...ticleID=702236

Ahhhh, first the RIAA cannot harass ISPs for names anymore, and now this!!

I look forward to the day when HD-DVD will be decrypted and Hollywood cries even more!
Old 01-06-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVD-Jon: "After battling with the enemy for 400 days, I smote his ruins on the mountain."

I'm not a fan of piracy in any form, but if someone decrypts the code, more power to them, I guess.
Old 01-06-04, 12:18 PM

Did you like Pirates of the Carribean? Of course your wouldn't
Old 01-06-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

haha
Old 01-06-04, 05:45 PM

I’m far from a computer expert, but if I understand correctly, Johansen cracked the CSS code since there was no DVD viewing support for those who had alternative operating systems. Thus, he cracked the code (or at least had a hand in cracking it) so that he could watch DVDs on his own PC, which was running OS2. He then made DeCSS available to others for presumably the same purpose.

If I am mistaken regarding any of this (I’m relying only on my memory) please correct me.

In the end, I agree with the Norwegian court’s ruling.
Old 01-06-04, 06:36 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Commander Dan
I’m far from a computer expert, but if I understand correctly, Johansen cracked the CSS code since there was no DVD viewing support for those who had alternative operating systems. Thus, he cracked the code (or at least had a hand in cracking it) so that he could watch DVDs on his own PC, which was running OS2. He then made DeCSS available to others for presumably the same purpose.

If I am mistaken regarding any of this (I’m relying only on my memory) please correct me.

In the end, I agree with the Norwegian court’s ruling.
Just that to 'crack' the CSS encyption they used a key from a DVD program that didn't encypt its own access code. Once they had the access code, defeating CSS was a sinch.