Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How's Equilibrium for a blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-04, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comments? It's on sale for $7.48 at Columbiahouse for the next couple weeks with no other purchase required.
Old 01-06-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Expect cheesy sets, but great action sequences. Saw it three times at the theatre.
Old 01-06-04, 08:48 AM

I really wanted to see the movie in theatres, but never had a chance. My friends went and they hated it. When it hit DVD I still wanted to see it, but the price was on the high side (I don't rent anymore having worked at Blockbuster for 2 years and knowing how they try to screw people into paying fees). I finally broke down and picked it up when I got a coupon for Borders, and it was worth it. The movie is excellent (if not entirely original), and Christian Bale gives a great performance (though Taye DIggs is wasted here). For the price you mentioned, the movie is definitely worth getting.
Old 01-06-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yah it's a good movie at that price! i wasn't willing to pay full price either so i got it previously viewed for $9 at blockbuster
Old 01-06-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellenet movie at an excellent price. Great Gunkata scenes as well as some interesting ideas represented in the movie. Very original considering everything else coming out these days. A definate recommendation here, especially with that price.
Old 01-06-04, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie's plot - not all that original, so if you're looking for a deep drama, I would think twice.

But, if you're looking for a fun action flick with more depth than the average, and some novel fight sequences, I would definitely recommend it. The whole idea that they focus on gunkata (or karate fighting combined with guns) makes for some fun action sequences. A fun film for the action or for science fiction fans to relax with. But, don't look for Matrix action as it was billed at the time it was released - the action sequences look like they were filmed with altered shutter speed effects, which can be fun to watch, but they definitely don't use the same great camera set-ups used by the Wachowskis in the first Matrix film.
Old 01-06-04, 04:43 PM

Good fun flick to watch!

Thong
Old 01-06-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good movie.
Old 01-07-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very well done movie. The plot is a rehash of Farenheit 451, but unlike a lot of SciFi movies, they don't F' it up - the plot handling isn't spectacular, just competent. The highly coreographed, stylized and very original gunkata is what makes the movie stand out. Plus, if you haven't seen Kill Bill yet, the trailer is on this disc and is worth about 5 or 10 replays all on its own.
Old 01-07-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The film is pure Velveeta®, and I didn't think the action scenes were anything great either.
Old 01-07-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the "trailer" is the teaser right? the same trailer thats on gangs of new york
Old 01-07-04, 10:55 PM

Dunno, I've only seen it on the Equilibrium disc - haven't watched Gangs yet. It probably is the same, I can't imagine there are too many different ones.
Old 01-09-04, 11:47 AM

I rented it, and was a very fun movie for what it was. I wouldn't spend $20 on it, but $7.48 I would.
Old 01-09-04, 01:47 PM

I thought the action sequences (Gymkata) were really the best part, its a shame there were only a few. A very fresh talke on gunplay/martial arts. The movie overall is a mix of The Matrix, Fahrenheit 451 and a Philip K Dick story thrown in. Fun , overlooked movie, definitely worth the 7 bucks.
Old 01-09-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Dumb, cheesy, laughably awful sci-fi movie with a few cool gunfights to break the tedium. If you're into that sort of thing, $7 is about the max it'd be worth spending.

Originally posted by D_N_G
I thought the action sequences (Gymkata) were really the best part, its a shame there were only a few.
Gymkata. Yes, that is an excellent comparison. Equilibrium is like the sci-fi remake of Gymkata.

Last edited by Josh Z; 01-09-04 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Great movie. A breath of fresh air from some of the other action movies that have been released the last year. I paid 20 for it and it was well worth it. The commentary tracks are excellent as well.
Old 01-10-04, 01:12 AM

It was a blind buy for me last year. Have since watched it 3 times and have lent it to several friends who've also really liked it.

Excellent performances, stylish direction, effective set design & art direction (on a miniscule budget), even some decent CG. Worthwhile commentary track, too.
Old 01-10-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Loved it. the action was very stylish and oh man, just one hell of a good purchase
Old 01-15-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome film. I have watched my DVD about 10+ times by now since getting it on Day 1.
Old 01-15-04, 11:51 AM

I really enjoyed this movie a lot more than I thought I would and there are very few times that a film actually exceeds my expectations. I skip many films in the theaters and delegate some to be purely a rental (my logic is why rent a film for $3 when you can buy it for a few dollars more then sell it used if it does suck).
Equilibrium, like Kevin Reynolds' Count of Monte Cristo, are films that I rented with no expectation to own. I watched them and they immediately went on my Must Own list.
The problem is that since I paid for the rental then bought, I paid $3 more than I should have.
So based on that logic and the entertainment factor of the film itself I wholeheartedly recommend the blind buy of Equilibrium at that price.
Old 01-17-04, 01:58 AM

based on movie only, i'd say rent it. IMO, though.