Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So I started watching Babylon 5 (old spoilers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-04, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished first season and getting to like it.

A quick question - Sheridan takes over for Sinclair in the story.

In real life what was the reason for Boxleitner to take over? Did something happen to the actor playing Sinclair (cant remember the name now).

Also yay Commodore Amiga effects in the first season
Old 01-04-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And is Garibaldi related Bruce Willis?
Old 01-04-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, the classic newbie questions.

No, Jerry Doyle is not related to Bruce Willis, but he thanks you for thinking so. He also would like to have sex with Demi Moore.

Michael O'Hare leaving the show is a combination of plot reasons, network reasons, and personal reasons. He wanted to do more theater but would have remained on the show if they needed him to. The plot of the story required the introduction of Sheridan, and the WB somewhat wanted a more recognizeable lead star. Anyway, when the 1st season concluded, and they started to realize that they may actually pull this off, everyone came to the table and assessed where the show stood and how they wanted to proceed. Given that O'Hare was fine with leaving and had other opportunities lined up, the story required a shift in the command of B5, and the network was hoping for a new guy, everyone agreed to O'Hare's departure. As I understand it, it was the most amicable separation imagineable, and O'Hare's shown nothing but love to the show and the fans ... it was just one of those things. As you watch the show further, you'll understand why, and you'll probably agree with what they did.

das
Old 01-04-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
plus O'hare
Spoiler:
came back a few times
if my memory is accurate
Although I have no problems with O'hare, I'm really glad they got Boxleitner.
also glad they got him for Tron 2.0
Old 01-04-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info Das. Continuing in seas 2 - its improving a lot.

The el-cheapo effects annoy me a bit sometimes, but I dig the non-banking spacefights. Also the i-dont-know-who-they-are-but-kick-ass-ancient-race-with-the-nasty-ships are rad.
Old 01-04-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

on the Bruce/Jerry thing - I knew that of course, but its so obvious its painful.

Every day is a bad hair day for the Centauri. Digging the Minbari - Delenns new do is neat.
Old 01-04-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been watching more.. Boxleitner is slightly annoyingly-happy-go-lucky at the moment, hoping it'll even out later.

Ignore my newbiebehaviour - just getting started on this.

There was a spinoff right? What happened w/ that? Early death? Worth watching?
Old 01-04-04, 06:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Wow, for the first time ever I get to appropriately say - heh-heh-heh.

I am also a (relative) newbie to B5 - welcome to one of the greatest television hourneys ever!

I'm eagerly awaiting season 4's release on Tuesday.
Old 01-04-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried to start watching it before a few years back, but what threw me off then was the cheapo effects and the hair of the centauri (really, it was.. it just seemed to ridicolous)..

This time I was motivated by all the good reviews here to give it a shot and get past the first 10 eps - worth it so far
Old 01-04-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Regarding the Sheridan/Sinclair situation --

[SPOILERS BELOW FOR SEASON 1 THROUGH 3. ONLY READ IF YOU'VE SEEN THE FIRST THREE SEASONS! I MEAN IT!]

Spoiler:

Yeah, I've heard that Sheridan was going to be introduced all along, and I think I might know how he would've fit in.

From JMS and "The Lurker's Guide:"

On "Babylon Squared"

Q: "So who IS the One? Some of the evidence points to Sinclair, but other bits seem to indicate Delenn. Yet neither seems to fit all the facts above."
Exactly.

JMS: What you have here in your message are two pieces of the puzzle. You're confounded by the fact that somehow they don't quite seem to fit into one another. That's because there's one last piece missing in this part of the picture, which fits in between them. The intent is to put this piece into clear view in year three, probably between episodes 8 and 11 approximately. At that point, the question of the One will be fully answered.

Now let's take that statement, and look at it.

Between eps. 8 and 11 of season three. That's really close to the time when Sheridan seceded Babylon 5 from the EA, and also close to the events of "War Without End," where the meaning of "The One" was explained with Sinclair being the One Who Was, Delenn the One Who Is, and Sheridan the One Who Will Be.

I have a feeling that had O'Hare stayed, then "Sheridan" might have been brought in in a capacity similar to General Hague, an advisor and member of the breakaway movement, until he would've been brought in as a regular during "Severed Dreams." As you recall, in that episode, General Hague was said to have been killed (actually, he was killed offscreen because the actor wasn't available due to a gig on DS9). Since Sheridan was already onboard B5, Hague would cease to be necessary at that point.

At which point, Sheridan would be there to take over B5 when Sinclair rode B4 into the past. Providing Sinclair was to have left the series at that point.
Old 01-04-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s a shame to think that some folks might be missing out on the best SF series of all time simply because the SPFX were not spectacular. I’d trade a dozen Star Wars for just one more like B5.

The hair thingie was a delightful accident. Peter Jurasik (Londo) came to J. Michael Straczynski with it as a joke. JMS, not wanting to hurt Jurasik’s feelings, went with it. And Jurasik then didn’t have the balls to tell JMS it was a joke. Or something similar to that.

Just one of the fascinating things that Bando, if he’s being a good boy, will encounter when all this is over and he can hit all the extras.
Old 01-05-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

whops only at start of season 2 - i'll hold off on those spoilers thanks
Old 01-05-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Crusade
was pretty good, lasted a season
Sci-Fi had a 2 hour movie, Legend of the Rangers. in my opinion it was only ok, but it had potential if they had made a series

Originally posted by ravan

There was a spinoff right? What happened w/ that? Early death? Worth watching?
Old 01-05-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
"Crusade" only lasted about a half of a season -- thirteen episodes. It wasn't so much cancelled, as it was sabotaged by TNT before it even aired.

JMS had very specific plans for the series, and there was much meddling by TNT to dumb it down and sex it up. TNT wanted something like a cross between the WWF and Baywatch. I think they were even pressuring to have guest appearances by wrestlers (TNT was showing shitloads of wrestling at the time).

The show ended up ceasing production before a single episode even aired.