Good printer for dvd covers?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-04, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old printer died - finally - so now I have a legitimate reason to go and buy a new one

Anything good can be had for about $100 - 150? I only started looking this weekend and some cartridges cost arm and leg

Thanks for any suggestions.

(This hobby is getting more and more expensive heh)
Old 01-04-04, 02:43 AM

Canon i560

I got one for just around $100 after rebate. It prints beautiful stuff on cheaper photo paper, and it's borderless so you can do regular amaray covers opn 8.5 x 11 paper.

TBFL
Old 01-04-04, 09:49 AM

I'd definetely get something with separate ink cartridges, not just one black and one color... get one with black, cyan, magenta, and yellow. It will save you money in the long run.
Epson makes some great printers.
Old 01-04-04, 09:57 PM
Cool New Member

i would recommend the canon i860. i just picked this up last week for $150, but it included a $20 gift card at circuit city, so $130 net cost. it has 3 color plus 2 black inks (1 black for laser quality text, 1 black for photos). i think it's pretty similar in quality to the i560 mentioned above. the quality is awesome. i had an epson c60 previously which i thought was good, but this blows it away. ink is cheap also.
Old 01-05-04, 06:39 PM

re:

Thanks, got Canon 560 today. Very nice.

As I am new to this, a stupid question follows

I am not quite sure how to set my printer to print dvd covers - when I tried to print dvd cover, I got a message : file is too big. I was using dvd template in Photoshop and I thought I have the right image size: Print Size: W 10.75", H 7.125". What was I doing wrong?

TBFL, do you check 'Borderless printing' in Printer Properties when you print covers?

Anyway, I am very happy with a printer and I am off to Office Depot to get some nice paper
Old 01-05-04, 08:58 PM
Cool New Member

it took me a little while to get it printing correctly and i think i am doing it correctly. check borderless printing and move that slider all the way to the left. i can print a cover on a 8.5x11 size paper and it seems to be the correct size. TBFL, is this how you do it also?
Old 01-06-04, 10:04 AM

Ok, i bought HP Everyday Photo Paper Semi-gloss and printed in borderless printing. It printed the whole thing and everything came out nicely
Old 01-06-04, 08:38 PM

i560 settings....

Yes, I set it to Landcspae, borderless printing with the slider all the way to the left, and high quality printing on the correct paper type. I saved it as a profile so its always easy to pull it up again without having to switch through the screens.

I print them out of Adobe Illustrator - Photshop seems to spool the printer faster, but I get better results out of Illustrator for some reason.

Love that printer though...

TBFL
Old 01-08-04, 07:54 PM
Never allowed to post again

Deep Blue

I use Dell image expert and I download a cover from dvdart, click on the desktop image the template appears you click on 25%
then go to landscape click on that. Ajustments click fit to page for your 10.68W and 8.5H then click on print at top left, then Dell image. Printer takes over, for inserts I reset the numbers to width 5.09 & 7.25H, I use semi-gloss to save money. I hope that helped you, I would go with the guys on i560 unless you want a scanner/printer/fax all in one. Dell sells them for about $250 check their website for exact $.

Last edited by rayovac; 01-08-04 at 07:57 PM.