Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I buy Six Feet Under, Season 1?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Should I buy Six Feet Under, Season One?
Yes
85.71%
No
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-04, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I buy Six Feet Under? I just rented the first disc, and I really liked it, and need to find out what happened. I had never seen the show before.

Pros: into the story, like the characters.

Cons: cost. Damn expensive. Is it the kind of show I would watch again?

If you own it, do you find yourself re-watching? Plus, even though it's expensive, it's not like I don't have a good job and can't afford it.
Old 01-03-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Yes the set is rather expensive but I think it's worth every penny. The characters are great, the stories kick butt and I have rewatched some of my fav episodes.

On the downside, HBO only releases the sets once per year so if you get addicted and don't have HBO, you have to wait a long time before watching the rest of the eps.

Also, be warned, the case is unusually tall so it may not fit nicely into whatever storage system you are using.
Old 01-03-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is one of those classic shows that will divide people into two clear categories: those who love it ... and those who don't know what they're talking about. So, you have to ask yourself, do you appreciate high quality kickass entertainment? Well, do ya ... punk?

Seriously, some people don't like it, and that's cool, but if you liked the first disc, you'll probably love the show. I'd say it has a decent rewatchability. Not as high as a genre show like Babylon 5 or comedy like Monty Python's Flying Circus, but higher than your average drama, and IMO higher than other HBO shows like The Sopranos and Oz.

The cost of any HBO show is a drawback, but perhaps it will help to consider part of that cost as a subscription to HBO. When you by the DVD set of another TV show, you could have just watched it for free. With HBO shows, you would have had to have a subscription, so it would have cost you a certain amount of money just to see it in the first place. I know that concept is particularly sound, but if you can convince yourself of it, maybe it will make it easier to spend the cash.

Plus the box looks pretty damn cool on display (which is a must since it's oversized).

das
Old 01-03-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Yes, I'd say definately but it. It's a stunningly good show.
Old 01-03-04, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a great series. If you are worried about the price just watch ebay. I picked up a used set for around $50.
Old 01-03-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like 6FU. I got season 1 DVD set and watch them all.

I will definitely get season 2 DVD set when it comes out.
Old 01-03-04, 10:37 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Yes, you shouldn't regret it.
Old 01-03-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You can probably get a reasonable price on the season 1 set used (or maybe even on ebay). I'd recommend it
Old 01-03-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the series, but I would suggest that you rent it, not buy it. Even though a great series, I don't think that it has high replay value, especially at the high HBO DVD prices.
Old 01-03-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've watched the entire season twice in the year that I've owned it. It's a great series. I'd say it's worth a purchace (now when is season 2 coming out?).
Old 01-03-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Perhaps you can can get it cheap at Costco?
Old 01-03-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though my rewatches would be low, I consider buying this, as it really is a terrific show.
Old 01-03-04, 04:34 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the set and love the series to no end, but I would have to literally force myself to rewatch any of the episodes. This isn't the case with any of my other TV series DVDs (Sopranos, Family Guy, South Park), but I have no interest in going back through any of the episodes. I think that is problably because (a.) the subject matter is too grim, dark, and depressing for me to want to focus on too often. And (b.), the shows are too dependent on each other. You really need to have seen the past shows to relate to what's going on in the current episode. I liken it to pulling out your favorite book and reading pages 76-108, and putting it away afterward.
Old 01-03-04, 05:36 PM

thanks, but now I *****ed up

Thanks!! I ended up buying it, and I've already breezed through disc 2.

However, I didn't really understand the packaging, and I didn't realize the top of the box was supposed to be a hinge, so I cut through it with an exacto knife. Oops. I swear to God, I inspected for a minute and could not get it open!!!

If anyone has any repair ideas besides transparent tape, (which is what I got going on now), let me know.

I'll know better for season 2 now, to investigate further instead of just going to the knife.