Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ticket prices now $10.25!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard on the local news this morning that UA and another theater chain are raising ticket prices to $10.25!!!
This price even applies to the sh**y mall theters too!

This is an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When it hit $9 it was already pushing the limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't mind the higher price if they make improvements,
but they won't!

Are they going to install DLP projectors to finally improve the horrid theater picture quality?? NO!!

Are they going to cease showing 35 minutes of BS trailers and ads?? NO!!

Are they now going to hire someone who knows how to project and properly align the picture?? NO!!

Are they going to install sofa loveseats so your ass doesn't become senseless as the dumb teens working there?? NO!!

Are they at least gonna pay their janitors a little more so you don't get glued to the floor?? HELL NO!!

From a business standpoint, I understand that such an increase makes sense, but I think it has already reached the point where more and more people will hold back on going to see movies at the theaters.

Let's observe the obvious:
-Rapid progress being made in the realm of home theater
-DVD quality increasing.
-Prices dropping.
-Availability expanding.
-And very little technological improvements in traditional theater, plus a minute amount of theaters are actually implementing these advancements!!
-Yes sound has improved, but PQ has remained exactly as it has been for the last 15 years or so.

The last film I saw was Return of the King and I don't expect to return for the next few months.
I remember I used to go to the movies 4 times a month.
But for all of 2003, I went 4 times!!!

hmm, take family of four to movie $41, buy popcorn and drinks $20. Total = $61 to go to a movie.

OR

Buy DVD for $20 and contribute $20 dollars to improving home theater

Which will I and an increasing amount of people choose?

Discuss!

Last edited by smirnoffski; 01-03-04 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-03-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is that I am glad our locally-owned theater still charges $7 for evening shows, and $4.50-5.00 for matinees.

If I had to pay over $10 per ticket, even for a simple date with my wife, there is no question that we would buy (or Netflix) a DVD instead, pop some popcorn at home, and save the hassle of driving to the theater all together.

Last edited by RoboDad; 01-03-04 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-03-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love being a student.
Old 01-03-04, 12:30 AM

The most expensive in Edmonton is $16.50 this is for Imax on a weeknight.

Cheapest weeknight movie theater with first run movies is $9.50.
Old 01-03-04, 12:36 AM
Suspended

I'm so cheap, I sneak out for 2 hour lunch to watch 6.25 matinee at the local new Century 20.
Old 01-03-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a part-time job at the movie theater. As long as I work at least a shift or two on weekends, they'll keep me.

As long as I'm getting to see movies free, I'll keep them!

I agree; prices are too high. They'd be a lot higher though if it wasn't for the commercials; however, I'd pay extra if it meant no car ads.
When people complain to me - and they do, constantly - I simply agree and say I wait for the DVD.
What do they do after all their complaining? They don't go home or do something cheaper. No. They watch the film.
Where is the outcry? Do customers simply believe change will happen without provocation? Why?

I can understand a price raise if it meant better service. But the cinema chains aren't providing better facilities. I'd like to see bulbs getting replaced... better sound systems (thanks to a petition a few of us started, our multiplex is finally outfitting every auditorium with dts)... etc. DLP isn't a top priority right now; the quality of film projection exists, it just isn't maintained.

As far as service... most of our employees don't even know what's playing. But, smirnoffski... that doesn't make them "dumb teens". Ignorant, yes, but not dumb. A lot of people I've worked with have been some of the brightest, most hard-working people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. They're working for damn near minimum. In fact, I really want to know, smirnoffski, why would you ever label them "dumb teens". As for our projectionists, they are consummate (sp?) proffessionals. Well, most of them are, I won't lie.
Old 01-03-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think ours are only $7.50 but I haven't been since early summer.
Old 01-03-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Now with red dots!
Old 01-03-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Corvin
I love being a student.
I'll be using my student card for atleast 4 more years, or till they start wising up to the card being so old..

Seriously though, I can some how feel bad for the theater. The % that they take in on films sucks for the first few weeks. the money they make is peanuts unless it's from the food stand. Theater equipment is not something cheap and with the push towards Digital projection and the lack of backing from some studios to accept one format or another it's really tough to make a choice and stick with it. DLP is great and I have a few theaters I love to specificlly go to because of it, but if only a few films are going to take full advantage of it, that theater pretty much wasted it's money.

Not sure what I can say that I haven't said in the past. You want cheaper prices, then support the stand and by something to eat or drink. Even with the ad's I'm sure it's bearly covering upkeep and workers wages. Though I will say that the 20's smart marketing can be used to save there asses.

Lets put it this way, the 20 can target any area. the ad's that I will get seeing it in santa monica will be different then the ones I will get seeing it in alhambra. Added to the fact that they have the backing of Universal/NBC that can be one very powerful ad that can target movie goers depending on what movie they are watching and what time they are watching (age steps into play) So Edwards/Regal really should be banking some nice profit from that concept.

Lets see how much more it's gonna cost to see a movie. perhaps they will blame it on pirates and bootleggers who steal films off the internet..

Cause you know me having a copy of ROTK has stopped me from watching it in theaters for a sixth time.. I suppose it will only be five times in theaters then. they were really counting on me seeing it two more times at the very least to make there money back..
Old 01-03-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's why you need to see 2 or 3 films on a single admission. 10.25 for one movie blows, but 3.42 per movie is more reasonable.
Old 01-03-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
That's why you need to see 2 or 3 films on a single admission. 10.25 for one movie blows, but 3.42 per movie is more reasonable.
It's also theft. And trespassing. And fraud.
Old 01-03-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
and fun as all hell. Though I haven't done it in a while, theater hopping isn't all that bad. just buy a soda between shows.
Old 01-03-04, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Seriously though, I can some how feel bad for the theater. The % that they take in on films sucks for the first few weeks. the money they make is peanuts unless it's from the food stand. Theater equipment is not something cheap and with the push towards Digital projection and the lack of backing from some studios to accept one format or another it's really tough to make a choice and stick with it. DLP is great and I have a few theaters I love to specificlly go to because of it, but if only a few films are going to take full advantage of it, that theater pretty much wasted it's money.

Not sure what I can say that I haven't said in the past. You want cheaper prices, then support the stand and by something to eat or drink. Even with the ad's I'm sure it's bearly covering upkeep and workers wages. Though I will say that the 20's smart marketing can be used to save there asses.
Have the basic margins for theatre operation changed in the last 5+ years? Have there been significant decreases in the concession revenues across the country?

All that I've seen happen in Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson) over the last five years is the ticket prices have risen ~50%, concession prices have risen, commericals have been added and there hasn't been any increase in the quality of the theatres themselves.
Old 01-03-04, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are reasons I havn't been to a theater in almost four years, and the premium price for a substandard experience is one of those reasons.

Last edited by muggins; 01-03-04 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-03-04, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Have the basic margins for theatre operation changed in the last 5+ years? Have there been significant decreases in the concession revenues across the country?

All that I've seen happen in Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson) over the last five years is the ticket prices have risen ~50%, concession prices have risen, commericals have been added and there hasn't been any increase in the quality of the theatres themselves.
Not saying the theaters are at fault here. but they are working exactly the same as any other market.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/03/08/smbusiness/q_movies/

Why does that popcorn cost so much?

Think you'd like to run a movie theater? Better butter up on snack sales.
March 12, 2002: 2:03 PM EST
By Annelena Lobb

It's huge! It's gigantic! It's the biggest box of Snowcaps you've ever seen! And it's got a price to match.

What is it with movie theater snacks, anyway? There's got to be something wrong when a "small" popcorn bag is the size of the average movie-goer's head.

What's wrong is that you thought you were going to a movie theater. When you go to the movies, you're really going to a candy store.

"Owners joke about being in the candy business," said theater owner Howard Edelman, proprietor of Movieland Cinemas, an independent string of cinemas in the Long Island, NY-area. "If you didn't have concessions at a movie theater, there would be no movie theater. We have movies just to get people in to buy popcorn and candy, where we make our money."

Tickets
Most of the money from ticket sales goes back to the movie studio. A film booker leases a movie to a particular theater for a set period of weeks. The percentage of ticket sales that the studio takes decreases on each week that a movie is in the theater. If the screening was arranged by an independent middleman, he also takes a slice. So the movie has to pull in sizeable audiences for several weeks in order for theater owners to make any serious profits.

Where movie theaters make their money
• Movie tickets: From 20 to 55 percent of ticket price, increasing the longer the movie is shown there.

• Snack sales: For theater owners, this is where the real money is made. Concession companies may pay up front to run this part of the business.

• Trailers: Movie studios pay theaters to show trailers based on how many people saw them.

• Adverstising: Theaters split the $50 to $100 fee for ad slides before movies with local advertising agents.

During the film's opening week, the studio might take 70 to 80 percent of gross box office sales. By the fifth or sixth week, the percentage the studio takes will likely shrink to about 35 percent, said Steven Krams, president of International Cinema Equipment Co.

If you've got a blockbuster like Titanic or The Lord of the Rings, with audiences that keep streaming in for weeks, everybody's happy -- especially theater owners.

The munchies

That's why the extras -- especially the concession stand -- are so important. Without pricey snacks, most theaters couldn't stay in business.

Studios also pay theaters to show trailers, Edelman said. But they pay for them after the fact, based on the number of people who saw them.

"Studios send a couple of new trailers every week and they send new commercials. We have to call in our numbers every night to the film companies, and they give you 'x-amount' per person," Edelman explained.

Finally, tidbits like local advertising can generate revenue for the theater as well. Most theaters have slide projectors with ads that play before the movie begins. An advertising agency charges local businesses about $50 to $100 a month to show their ad, and the movie theater takes half, Edelman said.

Costs
The costs of running a theater include the price of building the theater (or leasing it), utilities, equipment and maintenance, the cost of leasing the actual films, and the cost of paying their employees.

And theater owners have to weigh the benefits of certain cost-reduction strategies. Concession companies, for example, may give $25,000 to $50,000 to the building of a new screen, if the theater will contract with them for several years and split profits made on snacks, Krams said.
Just an example.

as for the price increases or anything of that such in the last few months. It's a market where if the studio is making a tidey profit the theaters will make some of that. Look at the block buster flops this year by sony, universal and fox. there has been some big name titles yes, but there has also been some major flops. With theater contracts set to show said movie for however many weeks in order to get the film to begin with, it's a tough market to play hard ball.

Also, recall the bankrupcty of many theater chains? A lot where in the whole in the last three years and had to do a lot of buying of each other in order to stay afloat. sure a lot of that was caused by there own stupidity in expanding to many to soon in theaters.

see this article from 2001 http://www.forbes.com/2001/03/02/0302movies.html

Blah, it's late. I don't care to defend or bash theaters anymore. I already realize that shit is hitting the fan and of course theater prices will increase some more or whatever. I'll go to the films to see what I deem important enough to pay 10 bucks for and I'll just download the rest. either way, just another thing us older fella's can go on about how "the good ol' days when you could get a night on the town, a steak dinner, a movie and some moon pie for a nickle and still have change for a ride back home on the trolly.

more food for thought..

http://www.haro-online.com/movies/wihm/
Old 01-03-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I know the movie theater chains were in dire straits a few years ago. A few went under and some had to file for bankruptcy. They built too many giant megaplexes in the 90s and they're paying for their mistakes now.
Old 01-03-04, 06:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First thing:

I would pay more for theaters to NOT implement DLP, and simply make sure their film projectors are aligned properly and in the best running condition possible. Every film I have seen in DLP (except for Attack of the Clones) has looked many times worse than film. The last one I saw was Terminator 3. The explosions had pixels. They were live effects, and they had pixels! I refuse to pay money to see another film in digital projection for many years.

Secondly, there is a theater in LA that prides itself on not having ads before the movies. They don't even do slides. They don't even play pop songs while you're waiting for the trailers. This is the Arclight (attached to the Cinerama Dome). Their concessions aren't priced higher than other stands in other theaters in Los Angeles. They do have a gift shop, and I can't say how much revenue is derived from it, but considering the amount of stuff there, I would say no more than 10%, if that. Now, we do pay more for the convenience of no ads, plus a staff that also prides itself on the picture and sound quality being of the highest possible grade. The prices? $14 at peak times (evenings, weekends), and $11 at non-peak times. I used to be outraged at these prices, but now, I am so annoyed by the music and the slides and the before-the-show ads that I think it's a steal. Not only that, the theater is a multiplex that shows a cross-section of big hits and smaller, independent shows. The quality of the theaters beats the hell out of the other independent theaters in LA, so I'll usually go there and see two or even three movies in a trip. Whenever I go there, it's packed. Always. These guys must be doing something right. Now, my question is, if the price for no ads, good viewing quality, and no annoying pop songs is only $4 more than the maximum, why isn't every theater doing this? What's the missing piece of the puzzle?
Old 01-03-04, 09:21 AM

Hey, why not raise the prices.
When people stop going to the movies,
we can just blame downloads
Old 01-03-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
First thing:

I would pay more for theaters to NOT implement DLP, and simply make sure their film projectors are aligned properly and in the best running condition possible. Every film I have seen in DLP (except for Attack of the Clones) has looked many times worse than film. The last one I saw was Terminator 3. The explosions had pixels. They were live effects, and they had pixels! I refuse to pay money to see another film in digital projection for many years.

Although if a movie is being projected solely in DLP, I'm a softie and I'll see the film.
Old 01-03-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's news like this that is one of the resons i don't go to many movies anymore. while the price is only $7.50 here, to have to put up with all of the extra hassles involved in going to the theaters now, i prefer to wait til dvd, except for the MAJOR movies, (ROTK, Spider Man, etc).
Old 01-03-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's been a long time since I've seen a movie in the evening hours. I always go during the matinee or afternoon showings.
Old 01-03-04, 10:35 AM
Suspended

I usually just wait for the DVD now, except for big movies. Or I go with a gang of friends who really wanna see something, but it's just too expensive now. It's only $8.50 where I go but you still end up spending almost $20 per person between that and snacks, and all you get for it is a room full of brats who talk constantly and don't even bother to turn off their cellphones, i mean if you wanna leave it on at least you can just leave it on vibrate... sheesh. And, theater hoppers are even worse, the figure since they're seeing it for free they can be as loud and obnoxious as they wanna be. Every penny I've invested in my home theater has been totally worth it It is pretty funny though when you tell someone to shut up and then 10 other people yell at em too, guess they need an ice breaker
Old 01-03-04, 10:41 AM

Now with red dots!
I agree that the red dots (cap coding? crap coding?) are a further affront when combined with 25 minutes of trailers/commercials and rapidly-increasing prices...
Old 01-03-04, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Secondly, there is a theater in LA that prides itself on not having ads before the movies. They don't even do slides. They don't even play pop songs while you're waiting for the trailers. This is the Arclight (attached to the Cinerama Dome).... Now, we do pay more for the convenience of no ads, plus a staff that also prides itself on the picture and sound quality being of the highest possible grade. The prices? $14 at peak times (evenings, weekends), and $11 at non-peak times.... The quality of the theaters beats the hell out of the other independent theaters in LA, so I'll usually go there and see two or even three movies in a trip. Whenever I go there, it's packed. Always. These guys must be doing something right.
The Arclight has easily become my favorite theater complex in L.A. The whole movie-going experience is so pleasant there that I feel I get real value for my dollars.

In addition to state-of-the-art projection & sound and no ads or pop songs, you get:
  • Stadium seating, with wide seats, retractable armrests & ample legroom
  • Assigned seating (with ushers who will even lead you to your seat!)
  • Online ticket ordering with no extra fees or service charges. (You can even print out your tickets and completely avoid the ticket counter lines)
  • 4 hours of Free Parking
  • A free Membership Program (You earn 10 points per ticket. 50 points will get you $5 off at the gift shop or concession stands; 100 points gets you a 2-for-1 ticket to selected features; 200 points gets you a free ticket)
  • Friendly, courteous staff and the best damn customer service you've ever seen in a movie theater!
A little example of the Arclight approach: During a screening of FOTR EE last month, the film unexpectedly stopped. It wasn't that big a deal, as they got on it right away and it started again within a couple minutes. But, as we left the theater, the staff individually apologized to all of us and gave everyone a pass for a free movie.
Old 01-03-04, 11:33 AM
Banned

I used to be very indignant and furious that my local theaters projection and presentation quality was so poor. But recently I've changed my mind. Even if they went the extra mile to ensure fantastic sound and crystal clear projection the presentation would still be CRAP because the studios are putting out such AWFUL prints. Even when you go to landmark theaters in big cities that used to get Signature Prints (Big Newport, Mann's Chinese, Fox Westwood) you get poor quality prints with bad sound around the reel changes and crap code all over everything important. There is no such thing as a pristine print anymore.

The ROTK print I saw on the second day looked like someone had jerked off all over it and rolled it around the projection room floor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.