Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anybody shop at Suncoast? If so why?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just for conversation sake. What is your take on Suncoast and the employees that work in the stores near you.
Old 01-02-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to buy some new release DVDs at the one in Barton Creek Mall in Austin when I worked at Old Navy in the same mall. It was convienent and I became pretty good friends with one of the associates and he would always price match bestbuy. But that was about 3 years ago.
Old 01-02-04, 11:57 PM

poster frames 27x40
Old 01-03-04, 12:02 AM

If I want to overpay for DVD's....I'll go to Suncoast..lol.

I buy my DVDs at Walmart or deepdiscountdvd.com

Only thing I bought at Suncoast was the 27x40 movie frames...can't beat 20.00
Old 01-03-04, 12:02 AM

i only go in to look for OOP disks. that would be the only way I would pay full MSRP for a disk. Even then, it would have to be a pretty special dvd to pay the price they charge.

While I have looked in their store, I have never bought.
Old 01-03-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only thing I will buy at Suncoast is anime DVDs. Usually if Best Buy doesn't have the limited editions of some releases chances are Suncoast will have it. Certain things you can't order online, like Pioneer/Geneon releases that have the limited items (pencil boards, postcards, whatever) since it is a crapshoot and you have to make sure it has the limited item sticker on the front.

I have bought very few movies at Suncoast and those were mainly OOP or just plain hard to find things. And I bought Buffy S4 because it came with the BtVS movie free, so it was worth it.
Old 01-03-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Places like Suncoast and Tower are really only good for niche stuff, but anymore the internet is better unless you have to have it right now. I do like to check out their toys and stuff, sometimes they put that on clearance and you can find neat things.
Old 01-03-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahh yes...where they dont know movies. I went there for the first 3 or 4 weeks, when I first got a player. then I wised up and never went back. I'm sure it varies from store to store....but I've gotten more info on films from the local Kum & Go. I'm sorry, but the selection and the atmosphere really make or break it for me. Suntoast has neither.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-03-04 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-03-04, 01:23 AM

The only way to purchase DVDs' at Suncoast is to obtain a Replay card and then preorder every title that you want.

By pre-ordering you obtain very competitive prices on new titles while simultaneously accumulating Replay points. And with many of the "hot new titles", Suncoast will typically issue 3,000 bonus points to replay card members. For every 10,000 Replay points that you accumulate, you receive Replay Reward Coupons in the mail that can be used just like money at Suncoast or Sam Goody.

After the first week of distribution almost all of their DVDs revert to ridiculous MSRP prices. (Hey, they *are* a mall store, after all.) At that point, armed with your Replay card, you can still effectively purchase even those titles on a "Triple Points Weekend", which they have around once a month or so.

Personally, I've found that the combination of being a Replay Card member, pre-ordering almost everything I want, purchasing in-stock DVD's only on "Triple Points Weekend", and religiously using my Replay Reward Coupons; I actually end up doing better there than at Best Buy! And it's much more convenient for me to boot!

Last edited by Joseph B; 01-03-04 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-03-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I, too, look for those OOP titles that came out before I started collecting.

Also, it's been a pretty good place to snag some great misprices (e.g. Firefly) or markdowns (Armitage III lunch box).
Old 01-03-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to shop at suncoast to get some old nostalgic anime and harder to find stuff, but that was before I found them elsewhere online for much cheaper.

I am still holding onto my final $5 off rewards certificate, for which I can't find a deal to make it worth using. I could get anything elsewhere for cheaper without even using a coupon. Plus, the store is in the mall, which I try to stay out of.

They also stock their racks the same way circuit city does, which just plain sucks. It's hard to browse titles that way. But the employees are always helpful with finding things or offering to order it for you.

I don't know how Joseph B could say that he gets a better deal there than at Best Buy, I just don't believe it. Maybe he could provide a quick example? Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Occasionally they do have some good deals on various things, even Simpsons paraphanelia, etc. And then there's also the possibility of misprices and mistakes. Remember they had that 2 for 32 sale where everything was on sale? That was last year - maybe they'll mess up this year too!
Old 01-03-04, 10:09 AM

Suncoast is the place where I browse but never buy. I enjoy looking at their toys and collectibles. Their poster frames are pretty nice for my less valuable posters.

I did buy some DVD's there once: Back in 1998, just after I got my player, I purchased a few titles. Can anyone say "Psycho for $34.99"? I can... Wal*Mart didn't yet carry DVD's and the online DVD thing was about a month from happening. The online deals - 50% off from Amazon, 50% off from Best Buy, 3 for $1 from 800.com, $15 off of a $25 order from Reel.Com, etc. - really woke me up to how crappy Suncoast's prices were.
Old 01-03-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it's a good place to shop for action figures...

I used to like them since they were usually very good about getting the latest anime disks. But then like most of the civilized world I discovered I could get'em cheaper online.
Old 01-03-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll all these years I have never bought anything from Suncoast because even their 'On Sale' items are still overpriced.
Old 01-03-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I mostly browse.

All I bought from them last year was a copy of "Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers" when it looked like it was pulled from circulation, and "Akira" and "Vampire Hunter D" for $9.99 each when they were having special holiday sales.
Old 01-03-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
I used to buy some new release DVDs at the one in Barton Creek Mall in Austin when I worked at Old Navy in the same mall. It was convienent and I became pretty good friends with one of the associates and he would always price match bestbuy. But that was about 3 years ago.
Wait, Suncoast pricematches?!!! Or was that specially done just for you? I have all these gift cards that I have been hanging onto forever cause I can't find anything at a decent price.
Old 01-03-04, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by packaok
Suncoast is the place where I browse but never buy. I enjoy looking at their toys and collectibles. Their poster frames are pretty nice for my less valuable posters.

I did buy some DVD's there once: Back in 1998, just after I got my player, I purchased a few titles. Can anyone say "Psycho for $34.99"? I can... Wal*Mart didn't yet carry DVD's and the online DVD thing was about a month from happening. The online deals - 50% off from Amazon, 50% off from Best Buy, 3 for $1 from 800.com, $15 off of a $25 order from Reel.Com, etc. - really woke me up to how crappy Suncoast's prices were.
The question should be how much you paid for your player compared to prices now. The collector's editions of Hitchcock's DVDs were expensive back in 1998, but now they're at Suncoast for $20. Considering DVDs weren't even yet online or in certain stores, I think it goes to show that DVD was still considered to be something special and would warrant a higher price.

But, to answer the question in the post, I've shopped at Suncoast before, but now I shop at Suncoast because I'm a Sam Goody employee.
Old 01-03-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by basaro

I am still holding onto my final $5 off rewards certificate, for which I can't find a deal to make it worth using. I could get anything elsewhere for cheaper without even using a coupon.
I had a $10 GC for there - same problem, couldn't find a way to make it worthwhile until they had a special sale on some Anchor Bay titles. It's really too bad that they have such ridiculous prices, since they're only one block from my office and would be a natural place for me to shop,
Old 01-05-04, 12:13 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Just for toys...
Old 01-05-04, 08:25 AM

I go in, but not very often. I also go in just to browse and see if I come across an OOP disk, but I'm usually not very lucky. I have bought there before, but it was always for something that I absolutely could not find anywhere else.
Old 01-05-04, 12:46 PM

I occasionally shop at Sam Goody's (Suncoast chain) for their music titles. The prices on concert DVDs aren't too bad.
Old 01-05-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I shop there very rarely because they are so exspensive. However, every now and again I go in there to see if they have any OOP discs. I've seen some there before, like Toy Story Box and other OOP Disney discs but otherwise it's not worth going over there.
Old 01-05-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts
On rare occasions they would have clearance on box sets. The latest one that I could recall was the Armitage lunch box (MSRP $69.99) for $24.99, which allowed me to use up some store credit...
Old 01-05-04, 03:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've found some OOP discs there.

Back in the VHS days, it was one of the few places you could get letterboxed titles.
Old 01-05-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in the VHS days, I special ordered at least one item there (The Bourne Identity, the '88 Richard Chamberlain made-for-TV version). Bought it for something like $25, watched it a few times, then sold it last year on ebay for $22 (after the new movie came out, interest in the older version went way up, it's since been released on DVD for $14.39 (DDD)).

Other than that (and that was back in '95 or so), I haven't bought anything from Suncoast.

Last edited by Heat; 01-05-04 at 04:45 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.