Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Portable dvd players ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Portable dvd players ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portable dvd players ?

I noticed Walmart has CyberHome and Initial 7" dvd players around $200.
Does anyone have one of those - are they problem free? I don't want to spend too much money for something that will get abused during my trips, but I want a player that will perform reasonably well =)
Old 01-03-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the cyberhome as a christmas present. Haven't used it a whole lot yet,but I will starting this week. Progressive scan - that surprised me. Battery is supposed to last 3-4 hours - that's cool.
Old 01-03-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wrote a post about my experience with the Initial 5.8" last week. It crapped out after 2 days and I took it back for a refund.
Old 01-03-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would look for a cheap laptop and use that. I picked up a dell laptop for 500.00 and use it for DVD when I fly plus gives me a computer.
Old 01-04-04, 02:01 AM

I went to look at CyberHome again; wanted to try some of my home made dvd's.
To my surprise, WMart employee refused to do that and told me to buy a player, take it home, and if it doesn't play dvd-r and dvd+r, bring it back for a refund.
Hmm.
Old 01-05-04, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by TheKobra
I would look for a cheap laptop and use that. I picked up a dell laptop for 500.00 and use it for DVD when I fly plus gives me a computer.
I totally agree. Also, if your hard disk is reasonably sized, you can use dvdshrink to rip the discs to your HD, and compress the files to get more on the computer. Plus I would think running a movie off the hard disk would conserve battery power more than running it off an optical drive.
Old 01-06-04, 09:48 PM

A laptop is a good idea, better then a small dvd player. But where did you find yours for $500? Probably some Christmas deal?

I looked and they seem to be priced anywhere from $800 and up.
I'll keep watching Fat Wallet and Dell website, perhaps something will be on sale (hehe wishful thinking on my part).
Old 01-07-04, 07:57 PM

I was give the cyberhome for Xmas. Played everything I threw at it. DVD-R ; DVD+R ect. ect. I took it back because it had a bad contrast ratio and the picture wasn't that good. Bought the Toshibia SDP-2500 for 2x the price and it wouldn't play anything but store DVD's but it had a great picture! I'm sending it back and trying the Panasonic LA-95 because supposedly it plays DVD+R's!