Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Built in HDTV.... benefits?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the advantages of having a built in HDTV receiver?

could someone enlighten me?

thanks

Last edited by boston lou; 01-02-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 12:40 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Convenience/integrated with your remote, and space.
Old 01-02-04, 01:14 PM

All you need is an OTA Antenna and you have free HDTV!
Old 01-02-04, 02:09 PM

But are there any disadvantages to getting it built-in? Will technology change in the future where having an HDTV ready TV (i.e. no built-in tuner) will be better because you can simply plug in a more up-to-date tuner? Or is it pretty known that built-in tuners will get the job done for the next decade?

Also, would an HDTV cable box that you lease or get from the cable company count as a tuner, or do you have to get an OTA tuner, and then lease an HDTV cable box from the cable company as well?
Old 01-03-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wallet Boy
But are there any disadvantages to getting it built-in? Will technology change in the future where having an HDTV ready TV (i.e. no built-in tuner) will be better because you can simply plug in a more up-to-date tuner? Or is it pretty known that built-in tuners will get the job done for the next decade?

Also, would an HDTV cable box that you lease or get from the cable company count as a tuner, or do you have to get an OTA tuner, and then lease an HDTV cable box from the cable company as well?
Built in HD receivers are awesome if you have a Great Antenna and an area that has good reception.

If some reason tech changes, you will be able to connect the new receiver to the progressive/DVI connectors.

On Jan 27 I am going to purchase a 32 inch Zenith (C32V37) HDTV. It has a great HD Built in receiver (already tested the HD receiver) and Finding Nemo (DVD) looked GREAT in Progressive mode.
Old 01-04-04, 12:13 AM

I thought I read somewhere about an FCC mandate that all new TV's had to have HD tuners. I'm not sure what the timeline is though. I doubt that the built-in tuner would become obsolete anytime soon. At least not when it comes to OTA stuff.

The key to deciding whether or not you need a built-in tuner depends on if you subscribe to cable or satellite.

In the case of cable, you should find out if they carry the local HD channels. If they do, then you can get HD through the cable box. If not, find out if and when they plan to offer it. If it'll be a year or more, you may not want to wait and just get the built-in tuner now. If it's soon, then just wait.

In the case of satellite, you should get a receiver that has an HD tuner. You'd still need to get an antenna.

If you have neither, then go with the built-in tuner. The NFL play-offs are on now and the Super Bowl is only a few weeks away.
Old 01-05-04, 06:23 AM
Cool New Member

Would the built in tuner have the capability of picking up the HD channels on cable without a cable box? Comcast uses the Motorola HD cable box but if you use the tuner in the TV, would it pick up the 800 series of channels where the HD is on Comcast without having to use the box?
Old 01-05-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by jscout
I thought I read somewhere about an FCC mandate that all new TV's had to have HD tuners. I'm not sure what the timeline is though. I doubt that the built-in tuner would become obsolete anytime soon. At least not when it comes to OTA stuff.

The rule is complex. IIRC, In 2004, 50% of 'large' tvs (I think over 35") after to built-in digital tuners (actually, HD isn't required only standard digital, but I think they will be HD), which goes to 100% in 2005. Then medium tvs (starting at 19"?) go to 50% in 2005, 100% in 2006, and small tvs a year later. That's the idea, I may have minor errors in above, working from memory.

The goal is the FCC wants everybody using the station's digital channel and they want to take the analog channel back, to reuse the frequency for another service.
Old 01-05-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Depends on what you want. I just want locals, so a built in receiver would have been great. Free HDTV. Unfortunately a stand alone receiver can't be had under $400. I am out of luck.

If you want cable/satellite they both offer HD receivers either free or next to nothing, so needing one built in isn't as necessary.
Old 01-05-04, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by murffee1
Would the built in tuner have the capability of picking up the HD channels on cable without a cable box? Comcast uses the Motorola HD cable box but if you use the tuner in the TV, would it pick up the 800 series of channels where the HD is on Comcast without having to use the box?
The built-in tuner can pick-up unscrambled cable HD channels. In the Boston area, Comcast scrambles all the HD channels, so you have to use their cable box. Yes, that's right, they even scramble the "free" local HD channels in addition to ESPN, HBO, Showtime, etc.