Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen the Lord of the Rings - CARTOON version ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 09:16 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0077869/

is it any good ?
Old 01-02-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not I.. but I'd like to sometime.
Old 01-02-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hated them. Bluth compressed so much material in so short of a time.

And he was angry, from what I can remember, about not being asked to help with the Jackson-directed movies.
Old 01-02-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I kind of like the Pop Art style of Bakshi's version. I even like the rotoscoping. There's lots of annoyance things for fans, like mispronouncing almost all the names, but it's still pretty close to faithful. It ends right about the same place PJ's Two Towers ends, but without the Ents storming Isengard. The voice of Gollum is Peter Woodthorpe who also did the well-regarded BBC radio version. PJ did use a couple shots from it, like Proudfoot's feet on the table as he yelled, "PROUDFEET!" and also the Wraith's first encounter with Frodo over tree roots.
Old 01-02-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DGibFen
I hated them. Bluth compressed so much material in so short of a time.
You mean Bakshi, right?

Damn, a Bluth version would be AWESOME.
Old 01-02-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hated it. If you watch closely, you will see a rotoscoped Pope in one of the orc battle scenes. I thought the rotoscoping went way too far. Easily Bakshi's worst film. I'm just glad someone else finally did a *good* version of the story.

The Hobbit wasn't too bad, if you're into musicals. Plus the characters look kind of 70s funky.
Old 01-02-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
It's Bakshi. Sooooo, what I mean is, if you're used to Bakshi's interpretations...well, you know.
Old 01-02-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like many of Bakshi's movies, but this thing is an abomination. Ugly, boring, you name it and this movie suffers from it.

Some people like being contrarian and prefer it over the Jacksonian version because it's more 'faithful to the text.' I love Tolkien's books but I say...whatever.
Old 01-02-04, 05:50 PM
Banned

Awful. Absolutely awful. Not even good enough to watch for some laughs. Boromir looks like a Viking with a ridulous horned helmet and a dress. Legolas is the same height as Gimli. Saruman for some inexplicable reason is called 'Aruman'. Gandalf's staff looks like an old stick with a big blob of dried s*** on one end. The Balrog is a rotoscoped guy in a wet suit wearing a big lion's mask. Bakshi's career never quite recovered and lived up to it's initial promise after his cool movie Wizards, and this is the reason why. Awful in every sense of the word.
Old 01-02-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the critique found over at The Tolkien Sarcasm Page. One especially funny part (at least to me) is this description of the the encounter between Eomer's company of riders and the Orcs who had captured Merry and Pippin:

41. The Rohirrim And The Orcs.

Here's how the Rohirrim and the Orcs do battle:
  1. The Orcs and Rohirrim stand in two big long lines facing one another.
  2. They stand like this, not moving, for 22 seconds.
  3. One Rider of Rohan then rides down between the two lines, and shoots an Orc and kills him with an arrow. The remainder of the Orcs stand there and, inexplicably, cheer the rider. (Three or four of the Orcs do pull bows and try to shoot him in return, but an Orc-chieftain dashes up and, oddly enough, tells them to stop.)
  4. They continue to stand there and do this for most of the night. The camera wanders off and does a scene with Aragorn and Legolas while we're waiting. Merry and Pippin also escape during the interminable pause. Still the Orcs and Rohirrim continue to stand there repeating the same tiresome game.
  5. One of the Riders finally comes too close to the Orcs, and they kill him. This drives all the other Riders berserk, and so now they suddenly decide to charge and attack.
...I guess they must have figured that, as long as somebody's getting killed, the scene doesn't have to make any sense.
Old 01-02-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw it in the theater when it first came out. I thought it was terrible. Though, I never liked Bakshi's animation style.

Has anyone seen the Rankin and Bass version of "The Return of the King"? I never managed to see it. I avoided it because Rankin and Bass make children's cartoons. I know it's available on DVD.
Old 01-02-04, 11:02 PM

The Bakshi Movie was AWFUL! The movie was actually only half of the story, but when it came out and tanked they decided not to make the second half. Later Rankin and Bass, who made the Hobbit animated (for TV?) went and tried to tie things up with a Return of the King animated tv movie. Pretty sad when Rankin and Bass TV Movie is sooo much better than Bakshi attempt.
Old 01-03-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Rankin/Bass ROTK at least has its moments (some nice artwork and music here and there...I mean, you have to LOVE "Where There's A Whip There's A Way" for camp value alone), but it too is some rank shit.

However, I still am very fond of the R/B The Hobbit--partially perhaps out of sentimental value, but I really do especially love the voices--John Huston as Gandalf, Brother Theodore who gives Andy Serkis a run for his money as Gollum, Orson Bean, etc. The music is 'dated' but very charming to me, and the tale is still a fun one to watch.
Old 01-03-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is one thing you need to understand about Bakshi: he winds up spending all his money up front, loses interest in the project about midway through, then cuts a lot of corners to finish the movie. He actually made Wizards somewhere in the middle of making Lord of the Rings because he got bored.

All that rotoscoping was sheer laziness. He took shots from Zulu, and a Pope visit, and drew over the film. Actually, he didn't even draw so much as he colored and added a few horns.

Anyway, you'll notice that Bakshi films, pretty much without exception, start off okay but then rapidly go downhill in quality near the middle of the film.
Old 01-03-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
The Hobbit: actually sort of fun, once you buy into it.

LOTR (Bakshi): starts out good, ends TERRIBLY (Bakshi definitely got bored).

ROTK (Rankin Bass): actually not a bad pinch hitter to finish LOTR by Bakshi. "Where there's a Whip" and "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" are actually fun little songs.

Final assessment: good enough to own on DVD (all three), for their novelty sake alone. Watch at least once so you can comment on them, then pop in for a few scenes now and then... I still really like "The Greatest Adventure" song in the hobbit...
Old 01-03-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
.. I still really like "The Greatest Adventure" song in the hobbit...
And it was parodied so well in the recent South Park episode with Lemmiwinks the gerbil going... somewhere.
Old 01-03-04, 11:37 AM

Yeah, it's pretty crappy. I especially HATED the way they drew the orcs. Boromoir looks pretty stupid too, kind of like a Viking with a stupid fur vest. Yuck. The Hobbit cartoon is fantastic in comparison.
Old 01-03-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Originally posted by Jason
And it was parodied so well in the recent South Park episode with Lemmiwinks the gerbil going... somewhere.
haven't seen that - sounds like fun.
Old 01-03-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
haven't seen that - sounds like fun.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/down/guide.html?id=614
Old 01-03-04, 06:37 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I've seen the Bakshi vesrion, a long time ago. I thought it was OK.
Old 01-05-04, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I first saw the Bakshi version when I was about five and I loved it then. For some reason it made a big impression on me. It was a cool movie for a kid. When I finally read the books about six years later, I pictured many of the characters as how I saw them in the movie *shudder*. I've since formed my own image of what the characters look like independent of by Jackson's and Bakshi's movie.

I saw Bakshi's movie about 5 years ago and realized that it was really just a big turd of a movie, although it does have some cool scenes. I like it now mostly for sentimental reasons and will probably add it to my DVD collection someday.
Old 01-05-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
You mean Bakshi, right?

Damn, a Bluth version would be AWESOME.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for pointing that out.

I haven't seen the Rankin/Bass ROTK yet, so I might rent that one this week.
Old 01-05-04, 02:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
it's an animated film, not a "Cartoon"

the only positive thing I can say is that I love the music score for Bakshi's version. Shore's score for the Jackson trilogy I can't stand.

Also in the Bakshi version. The watcher in the lake actually closes the door so as to suggest that it's its job to watch the door and close it, not destroy it as Jackson so vividly depicted. In the Bakshi version, it is interesting that Frodo actually decides the route through the snowy Mountains, as he put it "if Gandalf demands it?" essentially shrugging it off and placing the blame not himself but Gandalf's.
Old 01-15-04, 01:27 PM

no the animated movie sucked so bad and i couldnt even stand to watch it.
Old 01-15-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
it's an animated film, not a "Cartoon"
[Tom Servo]It's not a comic book, it's a graphic novel[/Tom Servo]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.