Val Lewton?

Old 01-01-04, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Val Lewton?

Was on this site: http://www.horror-wood.com/digitaldungeon.htm

...and read this:

"Later in the year, we’ve been told to expect the release of a new 2-disc Forbidden Planet SE, a Village/Children Of The Damned double feature, Freaks, The Fearless Vampire Killers, the Hammer horrors Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Taste The Blood Of Dracula, and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, new SEs of The Haunted Strangler, Corridors Of Blood, First Man Into Space, and The Atomic Submarine, and, possibly, the entire Val Lewton horror collection. Among others!"

Has anyone else heard that the Lewton Films may be released this year?
Old 01-01-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't heard anything, but THAT would be great news indeed!
Old 01-01-04, 11:57 AM
Banned

I had all of the Val Lewton films on VHS, so I will certainly pick these up on DVD. They were great atmospheric films. My favorite is The Body Snatcher, which is a classic of the genre.
Old 01-01-04, 12:31 PM

From A WB chat last April:

[Warner] You are right about the RKO Library. It's a mess. We are very active in seeking out the finest film elements to resolve this issue. We have several RKO films including some Val Lewton classics in the hopper for next year. We are also working on Fred & Ginger as well as several other choice gems from that library. As to 3D, we have seen many tests of our films using various 3D technologies. All of them were unacceptable to us, gave us headaches and made us nauseous. Until the technology is up to WB standards, we'll be content with excellent 2D versions.
Tim
Old 01-02-04, 02:50 PM

Hey, I WROTE that column! Thanks for reading.

Anyhow, my sources tell me that (so far, anyway) Warner is working hard to follow through on its promises from that Home Theater Forum chat last year. The Lewton films, the Astaire/Rogers films and the Johnny Weismuller TARZAN pictures are definitely in the pipeline, along with some other very cool stuff. The only question is how much they can complete and issue in 2004, and how much will continue into 2005.
Old 01-02-04, 05:17 PM
Banned

Val Lewton is kool. Cat People is one of my most fav horror films.
Old 01-02-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, super-great news ! Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie, Swing Time, Top Hat, the original Tarzans -- that's a big chunk of my 30's/40's as-yet-unreleased wish list. Hope they can get 'em out this year !