DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Best DVD of 2003

jfrost
12-31-03, 07:34 PM
2003 is now a wrap. After conducting quarterly polls to gauge what everyone thought was the best DVD released per quarter, it is now time to bring it all down to this... What do you think is the best DVD released in 2003?

The choices listed are the top vote getters from each of the quarterly polls conducted throughout the year... and since these were picked by the majority, no "Other" category is included this time around (this means pick only a disc from the above list). Remember, this is for the BEST OVERALL DVD of 2003… not the best film!

Thanks for everyone’s participation.

RyoHazuki
12-31-03, 07:56 PM
Alien Quadrilogy

Black Hawk Down

Two Towers

in that order.

RichDB10
12-31-03, 08:26 PM
Alien Quadrilogy

Happy New Year!!!!

QuiGonJosh
01-01-04, 04:20 AM
Alien Quadrilogy...best...dvd...ever...

rushmore223
01-01-04, 05:31 AM
I vote for the Immense Two Towers EE

I'm sorry, but as far as Alien Quad goes...

1. Parts 3 and 4 outright SUCK (IMO)
2. Most of the stuff on the ALIEN disc was on the Laserdisc Box Set
3. Just about all the stuff on the ALIENS discs were on the Laserdisc Box Set. So nothing new for me, besides I wont waste my money on four movies that I only liked 2 of.

Also...

why put something like Six Feet Under on the poll and not The Sopranos? Having one TV show on the list seems out of place, especially since Sopranos is usually the one critics site when talking about HBO and their great shows.

QuiGonJosh
01-01-04, 05:35 AM
Well yeah considering the Alien Quad has the entire Laserdisc Archive on the 9th disc ;)

Rainman15
01-01-04, 08:27 AM
Two Towers Extended Edition :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

newba
01-01-04, 09:36 AM
Seabiscuit

spongebobkay
01-01-04, 01:08 PM
Waited sooo long for Indiana Jones! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting13.gif Next would be Nemo! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/animal/1/animal27.gif

PatrickMcCart
01-01-04, 01:12 PM
Where are the Warner Legends DVD's (The Adventures of Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre)?

Where is The Lon Chaney Collection?

Where is The Phantom of the Opera: Ultimate Edition?

Where is Looney Tunes: Golden Collection?

Where is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

Where is The Beatles Anthology?

spongebobkay
01-01-04, 01:18 PM
Where is Looney Tunes: Golden Collection? I would vote for the Golden Collection, if it was included! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character29.gif

talemyn
01-01-04, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
Where are the Warner Legends DVD's (The Adventures of Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre)?

Where is The Beatles Anthology? They're not there . . .

I gotta go for the TTT:EE. Most impressive single movie release by far. Black Hawk Down was a realtively close second, but I thought that they could have released it like that originally . . . the "double dip"/"eBay it" requirement knocked it down from contending for my first place vote. As for the Alien Quadrilogy, definitely a very impressive set, but I think it could have been more. If TTT disc can fill 4 discs with one version of the film, then surely 4 Aliens movies (with two versions per movie) could have easily filled more than 9 discs.

Not complaining with what we got, just think more could have been done. TTT took that extra step, so it gets my vote.

jfrost
01-01-04, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by PatrickMcCart

Where is The Beatles Anthology?

As stated in the post, the poll options were taken from quarterly polls that were conducted throughout the year. If people would have supported the titles you have mentioned, they too would have been on this list. Obvioulsy, since they did not receive that many votes, the majority of participants did not feel they were in the same field as the titles that made it into this poll.

mikewendt
01-01-04, 03:07 PM
What about Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas: CC

Kashmir
01-01-04, 04:41 PM
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Two Towers EE

mookyman
01-01-04, 06:04 PM
Alien Quadrilogy. More important than quality, the documentaries were among the most interesting and informative I've ever seen.

bdots48
01-01-04, 08:07 PM
It's kind of an apples and oranges thing to compare a 9-disc set to a single dvd or even a 3-disc set. My favorite release of the year was probably Kieslowski's Color Trilogy followed closely by the Fassbinder set from Criterion. I voted for the Alien Quadrilogy from the list above because it is just the most loaded dvd set I've ever seen. Of the single discs I'd have to say Russian Ark or Day for Night.

Spooky
01-01-04, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Alien Quadrilogy...best...dvd...ever...

Agreed!
Now if we could only get all those fanboys who thing LOTR are the best movies ever made to go back and look at the first two ALIEN films ...now THOSE were movies!

Spooky
01-01-04, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by rushmore223

1. Parts 3 and 4 outright SUCK (IMO)
2. Most of the stuff on the ALIEN disc was on the Laserdisc Box Set
3. Just about all the stuff on the ALIENS discs were on the Laserdisc Box Set. So nothing new for me, besides I wont waste my money on four movies that I only liked 2 of.

You're most right about your first point, but wrong about the other two. Yes, most of the laserdisc stuff is also on the QUADRILOGY, but there's tons of material that is brand new - far, far more than the old laserdisc stuff. All four commentary tracks are brand new. All the documenaries on the discs are brand-new, and the majority of interivews on each one are brand-new. The "Evolution" documenatry on Disc Nine is COMPLETELY brand-new and focuses solely on the first ALIEN movie. I don't like the final two films either, but this set has about 3 times more info for the first two movies than the old special edition laserdiscs (which I also own)....and that's saying a lot!

Geofferson
01-01-04, 10:05 PM
Gotta' go with Alien Quadrilogy

jough
01-02-04, 12:57 AM
The Lord of the Rings EEs have set a new standard.

I can't wait for the Return of the King EE :D

QuiGonJosh
01-02-04, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Spooky
Agreed!
Now if we could only get all those fanboys who thing LOTR are the best movies ever made to go back and look at the first two ALIEN films ...now THOSE were movies!

Yeah I do get a bit tired of everyone saying the LOTR movies are the best ever...I understand where their coming from...I love the films to death...but it does get a bit tired...

Josh H
01-02-04, 12:34 PM
LOTR: TT Extended Edition hands down. Best movie, added footage makes it even better, great extras, great packaging.

garolo
01-02-04, 12:42 PM
The best movie + extras is, hands down, LOTR:TTT EE
The best overall package is Scarface Deluxe Gift Set.

EPKJ
01-02-04, 01:28 PM
I had to go with Alien Quadrilogy despite knowing that the fanboys will vote for The Two Towers in droves. I have seldom seen such an exhaustive and beautifully executed release.

talemyn
01-02-04, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Spooky
Agreed!
Now if we could only get all those fanboys who thing LOTR are the best movies ever made to go back and look at the first two ALIEN films ...now THOSE were movies! Originally posted by EPKJ
I had to go with Alien Quadrilogy despite knowing that the fanboys will vote for The Two Towers in droves. I have seldom seen such an exhaustive and beautifully executed release. Okay . . . have we begun doing pre-emptive bashing now?!?! I have yet to see anyone post anything in this thread remotely close to "fanboy". Could it possibly be that the TTT:EE DVD was, in fact, a superb DVD release, regardless of what you think of the movie?

What I would like to see is the "anti-fanboy" posts wrap up so that we could have a intelligent discussion about the actual quality of this past years DVD releases.

http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/images/Smilies/SoapBox.gif

DVDHO
01-02-04, 02:37 PM
I voted for TT but almost enjoyed Alien Quad just as much if not the same,and this is coming form someone that enjoyed all four of the films especially the diretors cuts,but since a few on here said the 3rd and 4th fims suck they must so dont listen to me.

Simpson Purist
01-02-04, 05:43 PM
Alien Quadrilogy is my pick (count me in as another person who enjoyed watching all 4 films, although the first 2 will get a lot more playtime). I would give Two Towers Extended the vote, but I have a feeling that Return of the King Extended will just own all. Alien Quad is simply the most "complete" in terms of exploiting the DVD medium to its fullest. The supplemental material is profoundly entertaining and honest (I even dug making-of docs on the last 2 Alien films).

DemonDan
01-02-04, 07:18 PM
Indiana Jones

second would be TT EE

RevKarl
01-02-04, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by spongebobkay
I would vote for the Golden Collection, if it was included! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character29.gif Another "write-in" vote for Looney Tunes Golden Collection (just like in the 4th quarter poll.)

jfrost
01-06-04, 11:06 AM
Bump... last chance to cast your vote.

rabbit77
01-06-04, 11:37 AM
I'm disappointed that Fear & Loathing: CC didn't make it to the top 10 of your poll. I'm writing my vote in for this gem of a DVD.

JestersTear
01-06-04, 03:18 PM
It's funny that some of you people are so insecure that you have to call anyone voting for Two Towers "fanboys."

What's wrong, can't handle the fact that some people have the nerve to have an opinion different than yours?