Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fear and Loathing in LV: CC. Good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen this film but I usually like bizarre and odd filmmaking.

So would this be a good bling buy?

Thanks
Old 12-30-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's weirder than you could possibly think, but I made a blind buy and liked it. If you're into any of Terry Gilliam's other directorial efforts (12 Monkeys, Brazil), you'll probably enjoy it. Anyway, Criterion's DVD is really spectacular, so if you end up liking the movie, you'll love everything else on there.
Old 12-31-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, if you like bizarre, odd filmmaking, then this dvd is for you. It's one of my favorites. This one of those movies that gets better with repeated viewings, and the dvd is loaded with great extras.
Old 12-31-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
When you get it... you will get it, right?... be sure to check out the commentary by Hunter S Thompson.
Old 12-31-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought it somewhat blind. I had seen it several times (under the influence ) and enjoyed it somewhat, even though I didn't catch 50% of the dialogue.

I picked it up on the 20% DDD sale and have never been happier. Not only is the DVD fantastic (audio and video is amazing) but the movie is very funny and the performances of Depp and Del Toro are top notch. I'd highly reccomend most people to pick up this one.....
Old 12-31-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first hour of this film always has me in hysterics. Depp & DelToro are like Laurel & Hardy on acid(literally). It gets a little more serious and strange in the 2nd hour,by design. It's one of those movies with which repeat viewings always brings something new. Loaded with extras including Thompson's weird and funnycommentary.
Old 12-31-03, 03:48 PM

It looks like I'm in the minority here. I loved 12 Monkeys and Brazil, but I hated Fear and Loathing. I have only seen the movie one time so maybe my opinion would change after several viewings.
Old 12-31-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd rent it. Its a good movie, albiet overrated. Not for everyone. The CC is a little expensive for a blind buy.
Old 01-02-04, 02:34 PM

I love this movie , saw it originally in theater back in 98.
Did not buy it on DVD until CC edition came out.
It´s one of the best DVD editons out there.
Buy it Buy it and Buy it.

Cheers
Maggi
Old 01-05-04, 01:47 PM

I'd call it bling.

For me - even when I would get lost - I could just marvel at the color and sheer imagery of this movie.

I think many scenes could just be looked at in silence as a way to teach the visual aspect of film. I was blown away.

Oh, and before anyone asks, I don't do drugs, and don't really drink - so that has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-06-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Yes. I didn't care for it the first time I saw it but I saw it again and I really enjoy it. Odd film. Really interesting.
Old 01-06-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dunno if it's blind-buy worthy but i bought it because i enjoyed it in the theaters and was interested in the commentaries by depp and deltoro which the CC version has.

btw, they kept re-iterating in the commentaries that it was all straight acting and no drugs were used while filming because it would be too hard to act/remember lines/etc. (yeah, right)
Old 01-06-04, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by peon73
btw, they kept re-iterating in the commentaries that it was all straight acting and no drugs were used while filming because it would be too hard to act/remember lines/etc. (yeah, right)
Though the Hunter commentary sounded like he was on drugs while doing the commentary. It was damn funny. It's worth buying just to hear his commentary. Note the screams for no reason.
Old 01-08-04, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd read the book first. The book is far funnier, whereas the movie is wierder.

Having read the book I can understand the movie and even laugh a bit.
Old 01-08-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm, this one may be a rental first, then again, since you like the bizarre, it may be for you. It took a couple of viewings for me to appreciate the film for what it is....a wild ride on the wierd side. Depp is always good.
Old 01-09-04, 02:22 AM

I don't know whether it is a good blind buy ... the movie is too off the mainstream to call on that. But I do know it is one of my favourites. If you like Terry Gilliam's movies, you're undoubtably going to enjoy this one.

The script is great, and the movie is chock-full of wonderfully hilarious moments ..

My favourite, courtesy of IMDB :

Narrator: We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like:
Raoul Duke: I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Narrator: Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming:
Raoul Duke: Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?
Dr. Gonzo: Did you say something?
Raoul Duke: Hm? Never mind. It's your turn to drive.
Narrator: No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.
Old 01-09-04, 09:00 AM
Cool New Member

I hated it. I only got 20 minutes in then had to shut it off out of sheer boredom. I at least made it 30 minutes into The Hulk
Old 01-11-04, 02:53 PM

I feel obliged to tell anyone considering this as a blind buy to do yourself a favor and read the book instead or at least read the book first. Thompson's matter of fact narrative text of all the outrageous carrying on is hilarious. It's one of the funniest and most amazing books you will ever read. Most printings include the fantastic and equally funny original "Gonzo" illustrations by Ralph Steadman. They are as important as the text. It's an easy read and goes very fast, you'll wish it was longer. The entire book with the drawings was orignally published as a 2 part article in Rolling Stone (back when it was a good magazine).

The movie may have some funny moments and it's a valiant effort, but it doesn't even come close. If you see the movie first, its images will remain with you and somewhat ruin the effect of the book. Reading the book first won't spoil the movie at all, may even enhance it.

Last edited by digiboy; 01-11-04 at 02:56 PM.