Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tiffany or Debbie Gibson?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is better and WHY?

Choose.
Old 12-29-03, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now, this is a very difficult question to answer.

Tiffany gave us that shit remake of "I Saw Him/Her Standing There" but I actually think she had a decent voice, but wasn't working with the greatest material.

Debbie (now Deborah?) Gibson, however, had a voice that grated on me, but she wrote her own stuff, even though "Foolish Beat" was just a teenybopper rewrite of "Careless Whisper." (Listen to it again if you disagree with me).

I really couldn't pick one, I don't know. Neither one particularly ground breaking, and neither one as hot as Britney. I just don't know.
Old 12-29-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
By far Debbie Gibson for the main reason that Laertes stated: she wrote her own stuff.

Here are the facts:

Tiffany had a total of 5 Top 40 hits: two #1 hits, two more top tens, and one that hit #35. also take into account that two of those songs are crappy remakes of Top 40 hits (I Think We're Alone Now & I Saw Him (her) Standing There).

Debbie Gibson had a total of 9 Top 40 hits: two #1 hits, 3 more top tens, and 4 more hits all below #26. All of these were written by Gibson which is even more impressive (whether you liked or disliked her voice or music). Far more talented than the teeny-bopper singers of today.

I also don't recall a white trash mall tour for Gibson like Tiffany did. Granted, Tiffany recently showed her boobies for Playboy but that doesn't push her up in the talent/music arena.
Old 12-29-03, 09:09 AM

I would have to say though, that unfortunately, although she wrote her songs, one of those songs was "Electric Youth." There was a bad song!!

However, to even things out, Tiffany had the equally wretched "Radio Romance."

Why do I know all this crap? Why? What could I be retaining in my head instead of this useless information?
Old 12-29-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll take both... two chicks at the same time
Old 12-29-03, 09:44 AM
Banned

HOW DARE anyone suggest that Tiffs music was bad. She was miles ahead of the vapid Gibson. I think Tiff would actually make a good President. Laertes, The reason you know all that is because youre intelligent and have taste. Unlike the useless junkies here who smoke pot, listen to Coldplay and U2, and watch trash like 'High Fidelity'. Now THEY deserve to be SLAPPED. You on the other hand are commended for at least knowing that much about Deb and Tiff. They truly rock and they still are makin music by the way......
Old 12-29-03, 12:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tiffany's first album had more emotion to it. I was completely in love with it back in the day, and still listen to once in awhile. While the 'pop' songs got most of the airplay, there was a nice rock/pop touch on some of the other tracks, plus ballads I can actually stomach (I'm not usually a slow song person).

I enjoyed Debbie's debut as well, but it wasn't as overall interesting to me. The big problem is all the songs (save the slow ones) had the same sound. A handful stand out as great fun songs (Shake Your Love, Out of the Blue, Only in My Dreams, and Red Hot), but the rest just sounded like lesser versions.

As for the follow-ups, Tiffany's 2nd release in many ways outdoes her first. Unfortunately, they picked the worst song off the album (Radio Romance) as the second single, which killed any momentum she had. By teh time she tried a third album (in 1991 I believe) her brand of pop had been replaced by R&Bish pop like Paula Abdul.

I haven't heard all of Debbie's followup(s), so I can't really judge them except the singles. I do think her ballads improved with "Lost in Your Eyes". And, damn, does she look hot on this cover:
Old 12-29-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this thread is awesome.

Last edited by Hollowgen; 12-31-03 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Debbie Gibson all the way. Anyone remember that video for her song "Losing Myself" when she was all grown up and playing a stripper? Now that was some hot stuff Isn't she the youngest artist in chart history to write, produce, and sing a number one single? I seem to remember them saying that on one of those MTV Specials recently about teen idols or such.

Last year on vacation to New York City my girlfriend forced me to see Cabaret on Broadway and Gibson was in it. Awesome vocals.
Old 12-29-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cottington
Unlike the useless junkies here who smoke pot, listen to Coldplay and U2, and watch trash like 'High Fidelity'. Now THEY deserve to be SLAPPED.
Lay of the crack, son.
Old 12-29-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Debbie is the only one still making a career out of music.. got to get credit for that
Old 12-29-03, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Gibson....only for the fact that she is hotter
Old 12-29-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Tiffany's got bigger cans, but Debbie's a blonde, so it sorta balances out.

As for their music. Eh.
Old 12-29-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why, oh why isn't this a POLL!??!

Tiffany's debut album was the first ever cassette tape that I owned - well, I actually purchased it with "Power Cuts '88" compilation because it had the ALF RAP on it... but I wore the thing out listening to it.

Now I can only remember the singles!

Was anyone else shocked to find out that "I Saw Him Standing There" was a cover?!?! and an inaccurately titled one at that!

Another plus for Tiff' is that she made the previously "fruit market" owners fashion accessory, the fingerless glove, a worldwide MUST HAVE. I know I burned through a few pairs... good times!
Old 12-29-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by cheapskate
Why, oh why isn't this a POLL!??!

Yeah

1.) Debbie Gibson
2.) Tiffany
3.) Who Cares!
4.) They both suck!
5.) Twikoff

I know what would get my vote.. Debbie Gibson, much more talent and a tighter ass.
Old 12-30-03, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by cheapskate

Another plus for Tiff' is that she made the previously "fruit market" owners fashion accessory, the fingerless glove, a worldwide MUST HAVE. I know I burned through a few pairs... good times!
Didn't Madonna start that earlier, even though they were lace, or something?
Old 12-30-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd nail Tiffany first...she had done playboy and she would be more fun in the sack...Debbie seems to prissy...

...oh is this actually about music...wait...do they actually make music?
Old 12-30-03, 08:02 AM
Banned

You know, a lot of people forget that Tiffany actually had an album out in 2000 called 'The Color of Silence' that was in fact shortlisted for a Grammy but never made the final 5 (Album of the year, believe it or not!). At the time Billboard hailed it as the new 'Jagged little Pill' and I recently bought it off Ebay and MAN does it rock. Its not at all pop by the way, more like slow rock, which is great. As usual the album burned up the Japanese charts and flopped in the US.

Debbie I think has aged badly while Tiffany grows hotter each passing year (http://www.tiffanymusic.com) plus she has a quality voice, very reminiscent of Christina Aguilera for some reason. Tiff's first album was classic, I had it when I was ten years old and remember playing it before bedtime. It was one of those squeaky clean things that even my parents enjoyed. And now shes nude in playboy!!
Old 12-30-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are both crap but I would go with Debbie since she wrote her own songs.
Old 12-30-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say Debbie Gibson because she did her own songs... but in a fight... well I dont know
Old 12-30-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Laertes
Didn't Madonna start that earlier, even though they were lace, or something?
Yeah...maybe... but the lace ones weren't exactly "unisex"...

...like I know anything about 80's fashion anyway...
Old 12-30-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cottington
Debbie I think has aged badly while Tiffany grows hotter each passing year (http://www.tiffanymusic.com)
Aged badly? LOL I dont think so. Debbie Gibson is still hot.

Tiffany didnt look hot IMO in her Playboy shoot. And she got breast implants.
Old 12-30-03, 03:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nightwing82
Tiffany didnt look hot IMO in her Playboy shoot. And she got breast implants.
I found that teribly disappointing, as I'm not into the phony DDD look. For years I had waited for that moment, and then it was just "Oh. Huh." In their first few years I thought Tiffany was cuter, but from the 90s on Debbie has the crown in that department, easily.

On a related note, did Debbie get a nose job? It seemed like she had a bigger schnoz in the "Electric Youth" era than she does in her later days.
Old 12-31-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Debbie Gibson all the way. As for the nose job question, that is answered in the same manner as Britney's ever changing boob size:it's just camera angles. Debbie hasn't had any enhancements, according to some websites that list these sort of things (Who knows why?).

Debbie also made news recently as she is rumoured to being dumped by her fiance as he found out about her "more than crush" affair with Ryan Seacrest.
Old 12-31-03, 05:56 AM
Banned

Has anyone here listened to Tiffanys' new music and if so what did you think of it? Do you think she sounds like Alanis at all?

By the way, I LOVE Tiffanys first album. WHY THE HELL IS IT OUT OF PRINT??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.