DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : New INCUBUS - A Crow Left of the Murder - 2/03/04

jay77a
12-28-03, 03:12 PM
Incubus will release their latest album, 'A Crow Left Of The Murder' on February 3, 2004.

http://www.incubusonline.com/graphics/CLOTM.gif

The first single is "Megalomaniac".

Producer: Brendan O'Brian

Track Titles:
1-Megalomaniac
2-A Crow Left of the Murder
3-Agoraphobia
4-Talk Shows on Mute
5-Beware! Criminal
6-Sick, Sad Little World
7-Pistola
8-Southern Girl
9-Priceless
10-Zedeveel
11-Made for TV Movie
12-Smile Lines
13-Here in My Room
14-Leech

Saw them at lollapalooza this year and they were great live. Even the new songs were very impressive.

Ergyu
12-28-03, 10:31 PM
I heard some of the new tracks at lollapalooza and agree. I have high hopes for this record.

MJKTool
12-29-03, 02:12 AM
Incubus New Video (http://www.enjoyincubus.com/video/Incubus_MegalomaniacVidFull_300.asx)

woofman
12-29-03, 05:50 AM
:thumbsup:

glasschicken
12-29-03, 10:25 AM
For those who have heard some songs: Which previous album does it sound like most?

Josh H
12-29-03, 10:49 AM
I can't wait for this. They played Meglomaniac and Pistola when I saw them at Lollapalooza and I loved both songs.

As for which album they sound most like, tough to say. I'd be inclined to say Make Yourself, but they really sound like a mix of all their old albums.

Thanks for the link, awesome video.

C_Fletch
12-29-03, 01:37 PM
Nice!! :)

jay77a
12-29-03, 03:46 PM
from incubusonline.com

The new album will be an enhanced CD with behind the scenes video.

Incubus' manager Steve Renie: "As you all know the guys have been working away on the new album which we expect to come out in Feb '04 and they've got about 11 songs 'done' and still another 6-7 to go. For the record the 2 songs that they have worked into the set are called "Megolomaniac" and "Pistola". As the tour moves on they are likely to add a couple of more new songs into the set called "Beware Criminal", "A Crow Left of the Murder", and "Talk Shows On Mute".

Mike and Brandon discuss the new songs. Mike describes them as "Like the old shit, but older. It's very different. It's very energetic and fast, and a lot of it is more technical, I guess maybe in the vein of more of our older songs...they don't sound like our older songs, but they are more, uh, Exploratory."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, it seems like the title (A Crow Left of the Murder) might be a play on words. Any ideas?

Josh H
12-29-03, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by jay77

On a side note, it seems like the title (A Crow Left of the Murder) might be a play on words. Any ideas?

Well, a murder is the term for a flock of crows, so A Crow Left of the Murder could be one outside of the group, and outcast or ostracized crow perhaps. So it could have something to do with alienation, not fitting in, etc.

jay77a
12-29-03, 04:14 PM
Interesting idea Josh. I am on that same track but was thinking that the title might have a politcial slant to it as well.

Crow=Incubus

Left=outside of the group (more specifically, left (liberal?) of the group)

Murder=Conservative Right (Government, acts of the govt) or is murder more literal (acts of murder the govt. is responsible for)

Anti-Bush? Anti-Government? I dont know. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Anyone else?

jay77

MJKTool
12-29-03, 04:37 PM
I can't wait for this album! I loved Morning View, but its gonna be nice to hear some hard tracks again from these guys. I just love the way these guys change their style every album. :up:

Grimfarrow
12-30-03, 03:46 AM
The song "megalomaniac" leaves no doubt as to which world leader the song is referring to...

jay77a
12-30-03, 01:35 PM
Great video for 'Megalomaniac'. With it's overtly political context does anyone think we'll see much of it on MTV, MTV2?

Josh H
12-30-03, 02:07 PM
I don't see why the wouldn't play it. I've never got the impression that MTV was a big fan of the Bush administration.

jay77a
12-30-03, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't see why the wouldn't play it. I've never got the impressing that MTV was a big fan of the Bush administration.

I think that they may feel that the imagery is a bit much

Josh H
12-30-03, 03:00 PM
I doubt it, they play the Korn video that while not political has much more disturbing imagery IMO.

jay77a
01-02-04, 08:34 AM
Interesting article from mtv.com

Using powerful images from the past, Incubus leave little doubt about their position on present-day politics in the video for "Megalomaniac."

The title of the first single from the band's fifth album, A Crow Left of the Murder, refers to a person with delusional fantasies of power, and the video applies that definition to the United States and President Bush.

Shot by Floria Sigismondi, the director responsible for such visually stunning clips as Christina Aguilera's "Fighter" and Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People," the five-minute video is a hyper-stimulating barrage of images, most of which flash by only momentarily to underline the subconscious level of programming some propaganda campaigns have employed.

The clip opens with guitarist Mike Einziger in front of a radio switchboard, appearing to give a speech. The sign on the wall before him reads "No Grace Period," while the one to his left reads "Operation Freedom Control," presumably a play on "Operation Iraqi Freedom" that ironically suggests that the U.S. controls the Iraqis' independence. A six-volt battery on a shelf bears the label "super power."

The scene morphs into a shot of the giant-sized bandmembers performing on top of buildings. A zoom into one of the buildings' windows reveals a TV showing the film "The United States Air Force Presents ... Brain Washing" before a series of war scenes culminates with Adolf Hitler, with airplane bomber wings on his back, flying overhead.

It's then that singer Brandon Boyd offers the song's opening lines: "I hear you on the radio/ You permeate my screen/ If I met you in a scissor fight, I'd cut off both your wings ... on principle alone."

Later, a politician looking like Bush addresses a crowd of protesters who hold signs reading antiwar slogans such as "Not in Our Name" and "Drop Love Not Bombs." As the podium from which he speaks morphs into a gas pump that inflates skyward, the protesters clash with police. Boyd, meanwhile, repeats the line "Step down, step down."

Amidst the pandemonium, the politician's head peels back and the head of a bald eagle grows in its place. The birdman then proceeds to devour the audience members, whose own heads have become those of fish.

But there is an eventual silver lining to Incubus' dark cloud of a message. After showing a 1940s wartime family feeding its baby a bottle full of oil, a symbol of America's thirst for Iraq's greatest export, and a crowd of people fleeing from falling bombs, the fish-headed masses begin to revolt against their bird-brained leader. Piranha heads are sported by those who topple the birdman's tower and proceed to ravage him. This is met by a shot of the crowd applauding.

Also, it appears that the initial shipment of the new cd to stores will include a limited edition dvd. The bonus DVD will include 2 short films, 4 live concert video performances from this past year (Lollapalooza, Bridge School Benefit), and a chance for Incubus fans to sign up up for an internet presale of tickets for the upcoming US tour starting in June 04.

Frank TJ Mackey
01-15-04, 08:31 PM
Well, Incubus has sure come back with a bang. It's nice to see them revving up the tempo a bit.

They middle of the road crap from their last album was getting annoying.

I really like "Megalomaniac" though. Hopefully, the new disc will have a more aggressive tone to it.

Ergyu
01-15-04, 09:30 PM
Anyone else having trouble playing the videos from the site? When I use windows media player it asks for a codec, then doesn't download it (I thought ASF was a regular thing with WMP.)

Quicktime just plays the audio.

:(

Artman
01-16-04, 10:59 AM
Are the lyrics for any of the new songs posted anywhere?

Ergyu
01-16-04, 03:02 PM
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/incubus/megalomaniac.html

there are the ones for Megalomaniac.

Achtung
01-16-04, 03:10 PM
Great video for 'Megalomaniac'. With it's overtly political context does anyone think we'll see much of it on MTV, MTV2?

Do you ever see much of any video on MTV anymore? Sadly, seems like MTV2 is heading down that path as well.

I'll have to check out the video.

Josh H
01-16-04, 03:59 PM
Here's a link to a live performance (begins with a brief interview) of Pistola.

Mr. Cinema
01-16-04, 11:43 PM
mtv doesn't play videos. they haven't for 10 years. But if you like real world, dismissed, and every other crappy fake teeny show, then that channel is for you.

MJKTool
01-17-04, 01:55 AM
Here's a link to a live performance (begins with a brief interview) of Pistola.

where's the link? :confused:

Josh H
01-19-04, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
where's the link? :confused:

Strange, anyway, here it is.

http://www.enjoyincubus.com/video/incubus_pistola_live_vidfull_300.asx

MJKTool
01-19-04, 03:22 PM
Thanks!

Josh H
01-23-04, 11:44 AM
They have a live video of the title track up now.

http://www.enjoyincubus.com/video/Incubus_CrowLeft_LiveVidFull_300.asx

Thrush
01-24-04, 01:12 AM
Ive heard the album. Maybe it has to grow on me but my initial impression is its not all that good.

jay77a
01-24-04, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Thrush
Ive heard the album. Maybe it has to grow on me but my initial impression is its not all that good.

Why??? Can you elaborate?

sureAV421
01-24-04, 11:18 PM
it f-cking rocks. give it a few listens to appreciate its brilliance. btw...its leaked on irc, thats how i've heard it early.

gross@iastate
01-26-04, 07:44 PM
I've listened to the album 4-5 times now and it has gotten better with each listen. They went a different direction with the album and I think it's refreshing. Give it a chance and it will grow on you.

MJKTool
01-26-04, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by gross@iastate
I've listened to the album 4-5 times now and it has gotten better with each listen. They went a different direction with the album and I think it's refreshing. Give it a chance and it will grow on you.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. :up:

Frank TJ Mackey
01-26-04, 09:35 PM
They did go a different direction and got a tad harder which is nice after their poppy last album.

It's a solid versatile album.

MJKTool
01-29-04, 12:57 AM
The whole album is being streamed on mvt now. :up:

Josh H
01-29-04, 11:30 AM
The whole album is being streamed on mvt now. :up:

Is there anyway to listen to this without real player? I don't want to bother with it since you have to provide credit card info to d/l the trial version.

MJKTool
01-29-04, 12:03 PM
Is there anyway to listen to this without real player? I don't want to bother with it since you have to provide credit card info to d/l the trial version.

I think you may be looking in the wrong place. I think you are looking at the demo retail version. There is also a free player

http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=rnwk

Josh H
01-29-04, 12:13 PM
Thanks, I couldn't find the free version on their site to save my life (I'm sure it was intentional). :D

MJKTool
01-29-04, 12:35 PM
Thanks, I couldn't find the free version on their site to save my life (I'm sure it was intentional). :D

Yeah I had a hard time as well. Buried waaay down at the bottom of a page with a tiny little link. Bastards :D

Josh H
01-29-04, 02:12 PM
Just finished listening to the whole album once through. It's very good. But I don't agree that it's a lot harder/heavier than Morning View or Make Yourself. It's just a little harder IMO. No where near as hard as S.C.I.E.N.C.E. which was a little dissappointing as that's what I was hoping for as that's far and away my favorite album of theirs.

But it's still a great album and at least as good as their last two if not a little better.

Edit

To clarify, the album does have a higher "hard" song to mellow song ratio than the past two albums, but the hard songs aren't any harder than songs like "Make Yourself" or "Nice to Know You." Which was what I meant.

Josh H
02-02-04, 12:37 PM

It was number 4 on the All Things Rock Countdown last night, so it looks like it will get a decent amount of play.

SomeVoices
02-02-04, 04:13 PM
But I don't agree that it's a lot harder/heavier than Morning View or Make Yourself.
]

exactly what i was thinking.

i'll give it a couple more listens, but i think mtv may have saved me $10 by letting me listen to it early

Josh H
02-02-04, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by SomeVoices
exactly what i was thinking.

i'll give it a couple more listens, but i think mtv may have saved me $10 by letting me listen to it early

I love it after a few more listens. I'm mildly dissappointed that it's not heavier after all the hype that it would be, but it's still a great CD.

I definitely like it more than Morning View and definitely not as much as SCIENCE. I can't rank it with Make Yourself yet.

Josh H
02-03-04, 10:55 AM
Picked this up at Best Buy this morning. Both the limited edition with the Bonus DVD and the plain version are $9.99.

They had a lot more of the plain than the LE so I'd pick it up soon if you want the bonus DVD.

MJKTool
02-03-04, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know whats on this LE DVD?

Josh H
02-03-04, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know whats on this LE DVD?

Two little documentaries.

Megalomaniac and Pistola live from Lollapallooza.

Talk Shows on Mute and A Crow Left of the Murder live from the Bridge School Benefit.

I'm guessing it's just the videos they've had up on the web (and linked to here) but in DVD quality. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet as I'm at work.

Also, it comes in different packaging. The LE is in a three way fold-out cardboard case (like Dave Matthews Some Devil) and the plain version is in a regular jewel case.

Given that they cost the same at BB (and probably most places) it's a no brainer to pick up the LE.

auto
02-03-04, 06:33 PM
So far I'm liking it. Not loving it. Liking it.

Incubus albums always take awhile to grow on me. Morning View took several months before I realized it wasn't crap. Now I truly enjoy it.

Plus, $9.99 for the LE. Can't go wrong with that.

JHosk
02-04-04, 08:33 AM
Just picked it up and gave it few listens from beginning to end.

Overall, its a good album.

On the plus side, its consistently good all the way through. Each track is solid on its own. With previous Incubus albums I always found there were a few fast-forward tracks. This album doesn't have any such tracks (not for me anyways).

On the negative side, there are not many stand out total kick-ass tracks. For me, I always found each Incubus album to have 2-3 total kick-ass tracks that rated 5/5.

Sure, the old Incubus albums may have had some 3 star tracks, but there was always a few 5 star tracks. "A crow left of the murder", has a bunch of consistent 4 star tracks, but not many 5 star tracks. Not sure if that really makes sense.

For me I'd say the album was not a disappointment, especially with the lack of quality music these days. I haven't checked out the bonus dvd yet, but I rarely watch those.

MJKTool
02-05-04, 12:18 PM
I have not had time to listen to the entire album yet but I'm digging what I'm hearing so far. I love the guitar work so far, especially the guitar solo on Pistola. Kind of shocked me when I first heard it, doesnt really sound like an Incubus type of sound. Looking forward to really digging into this album.

Anyone have any favorites so far?

Josh H
02-05-04, 12:39 PM
Megalomanica, A Crow Left of the Murder and Priceless are my current faves, but I like every song on the CD.

Obey The D
02-05-04, 01:24 PM
Kind of shocked me when I first heard it, doesnt really sound like an Incubus type of sound.

I thought the same thing when I first listened to it. I think the main difference is the loss of Dirk on bass, also, it feels like the album has a more under-produced sound that their other albums had (IMO).

sureAV421
02-05-04, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Obey The D
I thought the same thing when I first listened to it. I think the main difference is the loss of Dirk on bass, also, it feels like the album has a more under-produced sound that their other albums had (IMO). \

thats a good thing though. their last 2 albums lost the energy from their live show. the new record sounds great.

MJKTool
02-05-04, 03:51 PM
From what I have heard so far the album has more of a consistant "rock" sound to it, as apposed to Morning View which had sort of a pop sound throughout the record. I don't think this is a "hard" album like it was pumped up to be like...which is not a bad thing by any means.

Josh H
02-05-04, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by sureAV421
\

thats a good thing though. their last 2 albums lost the energy from their live show. the new record sounds great.

Yep. I think it's due in large part to being produced by Brendan O'brien.

He excels at getting the live energy to transfer to studio albums, Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots are great examples of this.

Josh H
02-05-04, 03:55 PM
From what I have heard so far the album has more of a consistant "rock" sound to it, as apposed to Morning View which had sort of a pop sound throughout the record. I don't think this is a "hard" album like it was pumped up to be like...which is not a bad thing by any means.

I totally agree with regards to Morning View. I was initially a little dissapointed that it wasn't a "hard" record as that's what I think they do best (SCIENCE is still far and a way my fave from them) but it's really grown on me with repeated listens.

MJKTool
02-05-04, 03:58 PM
I totally agree with regards to Morning View. I was initially a little dissapointed that it wasn't a "hard" record as that's what I think they do best (SCIENCE is still far and a way my fave from them) but it's really grown on me with repeated listens.

Yeah, and Im not bashing Morning View at all. Infact, believe it or not, it is probably my favorite album from them. :)

And yes, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. would be my favorite "hard" album from them. Damn!! they are just a great, great band imo :up::up:

Josh H
02-05-04, 05:21 PM
I love Morning View, but it's my least favorite of their albums (excluding Funus Amongus).

db27
02-05-04, 06:28 PM
I'm diggin' this in a big way, some very interesting and kickin' guitar and bass action on the disc.

Some of it sounds like its completely off the hip, as in not written or organized but in such a way that it works. Kinda like, "dude just keep riffing on this beat and see what happens stuff"

:thumbsup:

Ergyu
02-05-04, 08:23 PM
I really enjoy it so far. Sick Sad Little World is a favorite already.

db27
02-05-04, 09:47 PM
Oh forgot to mention, track 6 (no clue of the name and to lazy to search) is my favorite.

MJKTool
02-05-04, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by db27
Oh forgot to mention, track 6 (no clue of the name and to lazy to search) is my favorite.

"Sick Sad World"

Dude the guitars on this song are SICK!! :up::up:

db27
02-06-04, 09:40 PM
"Sick Sad World"

Dude the guitars on this song are SICK!! :up::up:

Indeed :) such an awesome track, but honestly I can't really find a weak spot on the disc. Very pleased.

Josh H
02-07-04, 10:35 AM
Finally had time to give it a more thorough listen last night. Simply a great album. No bad tracks, several stand out tracks.

I also put my finger on why I dig the new sound so much. My favorite music has long been early-mid 90's grunge/alternative. Thus many of my favorite albums by groups like Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots were produced/mixed by Brendan O'Brien, who also produced/mixed this album. The album really sounds like it could have came out in 1995....before music started to suck. :D

MJKTool
02-07-04, 03:45 PM
Finally had time to give it a more thorough listen last night. Simply a great album. No bad tracks, several stand out tracks.

I also put my finger on why I dig the new sound so much. My favorite music has long been early-mid 90's grunge/alternative. Thus many of my favorite albums by groups like Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots were produced/mixed by Brendan O'Brien, who also produced/mixed this album. The album really sounds like it could have came out in 1995....before music started to suck. :D

I think what I'm digging most on this album is definetly Mike's guitar playing. It has really taken me by surprise.

Josh H
02-09-04, 10:35 AM
Oh, I agree. It's the guitar work that gives it that "could have came out in 1995" feel I was talking about.

MJKTool
02-09-04, 12:10 PM
Heard on the radio today that MTV has decided to only play Megalomaniac until after 12am. -rolleyes-

Josh H
02-09-04, 12:15 PM
Of course, they rarely play ANY videos before then (especially rock videos) so that doesn't hurt it's playtime much. ;)

I assume it will still be on MTV2. I mean it was number on the rock countdown last week, are they just going to push the whole show (or at least the last half hour) until after midnight?

MJKTool
02-09-04, 01:05 PM
Well after listening to this album about 30 times this weekend :D I'm officially in love with these songs so far:

1.) Megalomaniac
2.) A Crow Left of the Murder
3.) Agoraphobia
4.) Talk Show on Mute
6.) Sick Sad Little World - This may end up being my favorite song from Incubus....period!
7.) Pistola
8.) Southern Girl
13.) Here in My Room

It's very unusual for me to love so many songs from a new album this fast!! I just cant stress enough how much I love this album. And dont get me wrong, Im digging the rest of the songs as well but they dont stick out like the ones above.....yet.

Josh H
02-09-04, 02:48 PM
Stand outs for me at the moment are:

Meglomaniac
A Crow Left of the Murder
Agoraphobia
Hey, Criminal
Sick Sad Little World
Pistola
Priceless
Zee Deveel

Like you, I love the album from start to finish (no songs I skip) but those just jump out as great songs every time I play it.

Sick Sad Little World is amazing. Probably my current fave on the CD. I don't think anything will ever knock Vitamin from the top of my favorite Incubus songs list though. :D

MJKTool
02-09-04, 02:58 PM
Speaking of Vitamin, I just revisited SCIENCE this weekend (I'm on Incubus overdrive right now :D) and I had forgotten how amazing that album really is. This is one talented band. I think my favorite track off that album would be New Skin.

Josh H
02-09-04, 03:05 PM
New Skin is a great song. My faves off SCIENCE are Vitamin, Glass and New Skin.

I've been on Incubus overdrive as well, listening to all their albums, and watching both the dvds over the past few days. :D

woofman
02-12-04, 08:34 AM
It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but after about 5 listens this CD just isn't grabbing me like their previous ones do. I'm not sure what it is, but the songs just don't groove like they used to. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad effort by any means, maybe just that they have really shifted directions this time around, and the underproduced sound may take awhile longer for my ears to adjust to. I haven't given up on it yet though and will give a bunch more spins before passing final judgement. I still am looking forward to seeing them live this summer, and hope they put out another DVD as well.

auto
02-12-04, 09:16 AM
LIVE Incubus: :up:

Nice production from Brendan O'Brien IMHO.

Deftones
03-02-04, 10:33 PM
Well, I got this this weekend, and I can officially say I'm very, very disappointed with it. I've been an Incubus almost since their inception, and this CD really sucks. It sounds nothing like either S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Make Yourself or Morning View. Very sad, as I had high hopes for this disc. :(

Obey The D
09-08-04, 03:09 PM
I just found out that this was released on SACD. Just wondering if anyone here has it and can comment on the sound.

MJKTool
09-08-04, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Well, I got this this weekend, and I can officially say I'm very, very disappointed with it. I've been an Incubus almost since their inception, and this CD really sucks. It sounds nothing like either S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Make Yourself or Morning View. Very sad, as I had high hopes for this disc. :(

HOGWASH!!!

db27
09-08-04, 08:11 PM
HOGWASH!!!

double-dog hogwash!

this album is damn near perfect!