Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Hot deal on Pelican System Selector Pro at BB.....

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current sale ad for BB this week reads $99.99 with a free $20.00 gift card with purchase. I just ordered this online at the sale price from last week($89.99) and received my $20.00 gift card. I was holding back on this but decided it was time....seems like a decent selector.
Old 12-28-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ordered the Pl-960 $10 off plus the $20 gc seems like a good deal.

I wonder want if any difference between it and the Pl-957 for the same price.
Old 12-28-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs
ordered the Pl-960 $10 off plus the $20 gc seems like a good deal.

I wonder want if any difference between it and the Pl-957 for the same price.
One is silver and one is black....I believe the 960 is the silver one pictured.
Old 12-28-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by djones6746
One is silver and one is black....I believe the 960 is the silver one pictured.
good enough.

silver is fine since this is going in my bedroom.
Old 12-28-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good enough.

silver is fine since this is going in my bedroom.
My unit will be used in my home theater set up...I have alot of equipment especially when you add my gaming systems. I have two component inputs on the back of my Pioneer wide but I needed three with my Xbox cable I just purchased. Add to it all of the optical connections I need with the Xbox, PS2 and dvd player...I could not pass this up. I have wanted one for a long time as I have tired of switching cables in the back of my television and receiver.
Old 12-28-03, 01:46 PM

I just bought a Pelican system selector for 19.99. What's this one do that it costs 99.99?
Old 12-28-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

system selector =Five S-video/AV inputs
pro selector:
It's got seven inputs on back so you can easily switch back and forth between your PS2 and DVD player at the touch of a button. All of the latest technology is covered with inputs for AV, S-video, Component, Digital Optical and Ethernet.

so it adds component switching, digital audio switching and ethernet switching.

worth the money to me.
Old 12-28-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Icon769
I just bought a Pelican system selector for 19.99. What's this one do that it costs 99.99?
The one you purchased is good for basic connections and that is about it. As gribbs stated....the system selector pro is worth the price especially with a $20.00 gift card. This deal is like getting $30.00 off although $20.00 is in gift card form.

Look at it as costing $69.99 which is worth the $50.00 added price compared to what you received for $20.00.

Last edited by djones6746; 12-28-03 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-28-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

system selector =Five S-video/AV inputs
pro selector:
It's got seven inputs on back so you can easily switch back and forth between your PS2 and DVD player at the touch of a button. All of the latest technology is covered with inputs for AV, S-video, Component, Digital Optical and Ethernet.

so it adds component switching, digital audio switching and ethernet switching.

worth the money to me.
Total number of 8 inputs if you include the one on the front!!
Old 12-28-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Total number of 8 inputs if you include the one on the front!!
the one on the front would be great for camcorders
Old 12-28-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone confirm that the PL 957 is the black one?
Old 12-29-03, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by bahgee
Can anyone confirm that the PL 957 is the black one?
I did some online searches and that model usually came up as black. I ordered the PL-957 in hopes it comes through as black. But not a deal breaker for me.

For those who have ordered from Best Buy online before...what's the deal with the gift card. I ordered this unit online but the giftcard wasn't listed on the printable receipt. Will it ship with the item or be mailed separately?
Old 12-29-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sonicworld
I did some online searches and that model usually came up as black. I ordered the PL-957 in hopes it comes through as black. But not a deal breaker for me.

For those who have ordered from Best Buy online before...what's the deal with the gift card. I ordered this unit online but the giftcard wasn't listed on the printable receipt. Will it ship with the item or be mailed separately?

Did you select the gift card and add it to your cart? I believe my gift card shows in my email along with my account info online. I will check and if different then stated above, I will correct my info.
Old 12-29-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you select the gift card and add it to your cart? I believe my gift card shows in my email along with my account info online. I will check and if different then stated above, I will correct my info.
Yeah I had to select it from a check box below the item as i was adding it to my cart. It showed as free in my cart.
Old 12-29-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

actually I just tried it and it looks like to get the $20 added you need to click on the $20 gift card offer which is under the add to cart icon.

That opens up a page that allows you to select either one of the System Selector Pro's and also select the $20 gift card by checking the box near the one you want for each.

then you click add items to cart.

so it seems like you need to call best buy to make sure you will get the gc. otherwise have them cancel and just reorder it.
Old 12-29-03, 12:51 PM

Yeah I had to select it from a check box below the item as i was adding it to my cart. It showed as free in my cart.
Gosh, I messed up. I called BestBuy but too late to cancel as the order has been processed. CSR suggested reordering with gift card. And when I receive the original order return it to nearest store for a full refund (which is what I'll do). Thanks for your help gcribbs.
Old 12-29-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sonicworld

Just called Pelican and you guys were correct - The PL-957 is the black one.
Old 12-29-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well...my gift card has shipped. I figured they would ship this last but oh well!!! Still have not received a shipment email on the selector but I am sure it will ship by tomorrow.

UPDATE: My selector shipped....via USPS.

You would think something of this nature would be shipped via UPS. They shipped a $100.00 scanner via UPS prior to Xmas. Oh well...it is on it's way.

Last edited by djones6746; 12-29-03 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-30-03, 05:31 PM

I took the printout in from the website and they changed the price in store. It's alot lighter than I expected, not flimsey but not as rugged as I would expect for a 100 switch. It sure is nice having all the extra inputs though. Thanks for pointing out the deal.
Old 12-31-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

see now, it's times like this where i swear BB up and down for not accepting gift cards online... when are they gonna get with it??
Old 12-31-03, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by mkdevo
see now, it's times like this where i swear BB up and down for not accepting gift cards online... when are they gonna get with it??
that's the reason I went to the store and got the deal.
Old 01-18-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering, for someone that already owns this. Could you measure it and post its dimensions? I won't be able to make it to Bestbuy until later this week.
Old 01-18-04, 02:39 PM

Just FYI,

If you're looking for something to pass a reliable HD signal, you're going to want to look elsewhere.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...09#post2913109

Performance:

A 40MHz and 100MHz signal were passed through the switch to measure performance.

Below are the test results.

Loss (Y signal tested on channel 1)
40MHz -2.6dB
100MHz -4.6dB

Crosstalk (Agressor was Y, Victim was Pb, on channel 1)
40MHz -13dB
100MHz -10dB

The loss is bad enough that this device should be used for no greater than 480p.

However the crosstalk is bad enough that this may cause visible picture problems, even at 480p.
If you don't care about passing a true HD signal, it's probably the best selector for the price.
Old 01-18-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jawn
Just FYI,

If you're looking for something to pass a reliable HD signal, you're going to want to look elsewhere.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...09#post2913109

If you don't care about passing a true HD signal, it's probably the best selector for the price.
I originally had my HDTV running through this but now I just have my Xbox and Progressive Scan dvd player running through it. At no time did I notice a ghosting of images if that is what he is talking about. I am pretty picky when it comes to my video being visually pleasing and I can tell you that my dvd player produces great video operating through this switcher. To each his own I guess.....I prefer not to spend $500.00 on a switcher. Especially when the one I received for $69.99(after sale price and $20 gift card) handles the switching sufficiently. I guess if had my system professionally calibrated....they may notice problems in relation to a ratio of this or that but it does what I need it to do in an adequate manner.
Old 01-18-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From a discussion over at gamersrepublic......

"Well, it looks like I won't be returning this after all. I finally received a call back from Pelican support. I was informed definitively that, "Yes, it does support HD resolutions up to 1080i."

It looks like the runway is cleared for takeoff. I'll be setting this up tonight if anyone is still interested in impressions."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.