DVD Talk
HELP: Any Cheap R1 Players that can be Hacked Regio Free? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : HELP: Any Cheap R1 Players that can be Hacked Regio Free?

byis
11-07-03, 11:48 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried out this player? There is a hack to make it region-free player and right now amazon has it for $39.99 after $10 mail-in rebate. Just trying to get some opinions on the player since I have never heard of the brand. I plan on getting a region-free player soon and have been reading good things about the Philips 727 and wondering how this player compares. Well, any input would be appreciated!

wendersfan
11-11-03, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by byis
Wondering if anyone has tried out this player? There is a hack to make it region-free player and right now amazon has it for $39.99 after $10 mail-in rebate. Just trying to get some opinions on the player since I have never heard of the brand. I plan on getting a region-free player soon and have been reading good things about the Philips 727 and wondering how this player compares. Well, any input would be appreciated!

Go to Nerd-Out (http://www.nerd-out.com) for discussion of all variety of inexpensive DVD players. They have at least two different fora for discussion of Norcent players alone. The site is supposedly meant to discuss Apex players, but it has a whole lot more.

Icon769
12-27-03, 06:16 AM
I bought a Cyberhome 300S about six months ago which I was able to change into Region Free with a simple remote controll hack. It worked great up until last night when all of a sudden it wouldn't load discs or they kept freezing. All my local radio shacks (where I bought it) are sold out. Are there any other cheap r1 DVD players currently out there that I can purchase (preferably that play DTS) that I can hack into being region free like my last player? Any help would be appreciated.

marty888
12-27-03, 09:38 AM
Phillips 727 is in the $80 range.

Doc Moonlight
12-27-03, 06:07 PM
The 300S is in stock at radioshack.com

harosa
12-27-03, 11:25 PM
Icon, whats the hack for the Cyberhome?

Icon769
12-28-03, 04:27 AM
harosa,
1. Make sure no disc is in the player
2. Turn it on
3. Press MENU, 1, 9

benedict
12-28-03, 11:13 AM
<ul><li><A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316570" target="_blank">HELP! Philips 727 vs. Toshiba 3900</a><LI><A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=318038" target="_blank">Phillips DVD Player Questions / Discussion</a><LI><A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=315866" target="_blank">What's your Region free player (US users)? </a><li><A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258180" target="_blank">Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART 6]
</a></li></ul>

harosa
12-28-03, 06:08 PM
Thanks Icon

ehonauer
01-19-04, 01:22 PM
I picked up a Cyberhome 300S at a Sears in RI for $40 over the weekend. They had a boatload of them...

Subgeniusguy
01-19-04, 01:57 PM
I love the Philips 727 except for that damn multi-angle icon it displays if the feature you are watching has multiple angles. When it's on-screen, it's ALL I can look at.

vforvendetta
01-19-04, 02:42 PM
My Cyberhome 500 died... it seems to be a fairly common occurance with the CHs. Got a Philips 727 and I can't believe I ever put up with the CH.

french fan
01-19-04, 05:07 PM
I love my Philips 727 which i recently bought from amazon.com for $69 with free shipping.

MrBob
01-20-04, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Icon769
I bought a Cyberhome 300S about six months ago which I was able to change into Region Free with a simple remote controll hack. It worked great up until last night when all of a sudden it wouldn't load discs or they kept freezing. All my local radio shacks (where I bought it) are sold out. Are there any other cheap r1 DVD players currently out there that I can purchase (preferably that play DTS) that I can hack into being region free like my last player? Any help would be appreciated.

Holy Crap, that is the exact same thing that happened to my 300, unit. Even happened in the same time frame.

Icon769
01-21-04, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by MrBob
Holy Crap, that is the exact same thing that happened to my 300, unit. Even happened in the same time frame.

I wonder how prevalent this problem is. I emailed Cyberhome's technichal support to see what the deal was, but have yet to get a response, and don't think I will. I broke down and went and got the exact same player from Radio Shack (since it's my least expensive option, and I like the DTS). However I'm going to go back and pay the $15 for a 2 year warranty, just in case this player suffers the same fate. Anyone else who bought this player (Cyberhome 300S), how long has it last you?

MrBob
01-22-04, 06:13 PM
I'm tempted to get another one, because the thing worked really great while it lasted. But I think I'll save up and buy a higher quality player that can do proper anamorphic conversions.

The Nature Boy
01-24-04, 02:07 AM
My Cyberhome just pooped the bed after 6 months as my primary player. I think I'll get it again, and either get a secondary player for region 1(which I planned to do and should have done, but I got lazy and was REALLY happy with the player til it died) or I will definately get the 2 year warranty.

Those of you seeing them die, were they primary players, or is there simply a limited shelf life to these no matter how babied they are?