Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Yamaha RX-V1400 with Energy Encore?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-27-03, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my complete surprise, my parents gave me both the Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver and the Energy Encore speaker system for Christmas/birthday gift!

Problem is, I have next to no experience with home theater hardware. But, now that I have this equipment I'm doing my best to catch up as quickly as I can.

For the last 4 years (while in college) I've been viewing my dvd's from my 19" computer monitor with my klipsch promedia 4.1's, or using my panasonic cp-72 player with a 27" tv (don't have model b/c I'm at the parents house). I was planning on starting slowly by purchasing a decent HTIB relatively soon, but as you can see, things have now changed.

Basically, I need your opinions on a few things:

1. Is there any known problem with any of the equipment? Should I expect any problems using a Yamaha receiver with Energy speakers?

2. Because I'm a complete Newb when it comes to home theaters, would you think that certain wire would make a difference TO ME? (I've seen how this topic can start HUGE debates, and that is not my intention. However, I understand that wiring may play a key role in higher end equipment. The thing is, I don't really know what qualifies as "higher end equipment". Anyone care to throw me a bone here?

3. I won't have the opportunity to set these up until maybe as late as New Years. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go and listen to them at a retailer, but I don't know if I'll have that opportunity either. Is there anything out there that is far superior, for the same amount of $, that should cause me to seriously consider trading these in? Again, this will be my first home theater, so I doubt I will have anything to complain about. But if I'm wrong, please let me know.

I'm currently searching for anything I can find, both here and on the home theater forum, which can help answer these questions. However, there's a ton of information to catch up on. I'd really appreciate any feedback. Especially from those of you out there that have the same equipment.