Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the differences between both TE and EEs?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-26-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm half an hour into the FOTR EE and have noticed three things - more explained how the ring betrayed Isildur (I LOVED this addition), more on the Hobbits, and the little scene where Frodo and Bilbo are hiding from their relatives. The Isildur change I think is vital to the movie. I can see now how people think the EEs are the definitive version.

Is there a website out there that lists all the additions/deletions/changes?
Old 12-26-03, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOTR: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/alternateversions
TTT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167261/alternateversions

That's a good start
Old 12-26-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But the EE's AREN'T the definitive version. Jackson perfers the Theater versions because as important as you claim these scenes are, the theater versions worked well without it.

Another Key scene on FOTR: EE is the giving of the gifts. Though this is an important scene, the editing on ROTK worked well when fordo brought out the light because of an edited in flash back scene as he brought it out so the once feeling out of place scene of the giving of the gifts was not needed to set up how frodo recieved the light.

In either case, I'm glad I have both.
Old 12-26-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Maybe this was what you meant, but the TE had an edited version of the Gift scene with only Frodo receiving the Light of Earendil. The EE had the rest of the Fellowship getting their gifts, too.

I personally consider the EE to be the definitive version but Jackson considers the TE to be "his movie". The EE is a novelty version for the fans. Thank Eru for DVD.
Old 12-27-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
while i admire what Jackson has done, the EEs are MY definitive versions.
Old 12-27-03, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by caligulathegod
Maybe this was what you meant, but the TE had an edited version of the Gift scene with only Frodo receiving the Light of Earendil. The EE had the rest of the Fellowship getting their gifts, too.

the theater's flash back does indeed only have frodo recieiving the gift, but frankly in the TE of TTT's and ROTK, you only need to know that frodo recieves a gift. In the TTT's EE you see sam use his gift, so you can't go into TTT EE's without knowing about the gifts from FOTR EE's scene.

the point is that some of the extra scenes, as great as they are, slow down the pacing of the film and are ackward in a sense. without those scenes the film flows a bit smoother. the trade off is you miss an extra part of the film but you get a film that the general masses can accept.

As I've said before in other threads, just because Jackson acknowledges any version as the def. doesn't mean you have to. Look at Blade Runner. I hate the directors cut. Scott might have said that is the movie he ment to see, I personally perfer the TE.