Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

A Little Princess/The Secret Garden?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-26-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't find any online reviews for these (well.. not counting some X rated movie of the same name) and the only one I found here is about 4 years old.

Can anyone give me an idea on the quality of dvd for these two titles? Speaking of the 1993 Agnieszka Holland and 1995 Alfonso Cuarón versions.

I haven't seen either, and know very little about them, but they sound like quality movies so if they were given a good release I'm going to pick them up.

Please don't mention any plot details as I truly know nothing about them short of the basic premise that the titles hint at.

Last edited by abintra; 12-28-03 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-28-03, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd have to give the release year for both these titles, since there are various versions of each.

This version of A Little Princess --> http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0113670/
released in 1995, I would recommend highly. It's beautifully filmed and acted and had the whole family in tears. A lovely movie.
Old 12-28-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My apologies. I completely forgot about its many incarnations.

They are the 1993 Agnieszka Holland and 1995 Alfonso Cuarón versions. I will edit the main post to reflect this, thanks.

I ended up picking them up during the Best Buy $10 2 pack special that ended. Won't be here for a couple more weeks but am hopeful they are quality transfers.

A Little Princess sounds like it is under Amazon's technical details section but not sure about The Secret Garden.
Old 12-29-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 1993 version of A Secret Garden is really superb. Very atmospheric, with absolutely amazing cinematography, and wonderful performances by the child actors. This one, along with The Secret of Roan Inish, are my two all-time favorite "children's" movies. John Lynch has a great supporting role as the father, and Maggie Smith is as solid as ever.

The print is anamorphic widescreen, but it is a bit grainy. Still, worth it for that price.
Old 12-29-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Roan Inish. I don't have many family films (minus Pixar, Fly Away Home and Muppets) but heard both of those movies were quite good and more adult in tone so am looking forward to them.

Thanks.