Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just got an X-Box... need game recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Just got an X-Box... need game recommendations

I got an X-Box for Christmas and need some good recommendations on games. I'll be picking something up later today, but haven't kept up with what's hot and what's not for this system. My personal tastes on games are this:
1. No sports games (SSX series is the sole exception)
2. FTSs I like
3. RPGs I like
4. Real-time strategies I don't like

Can anyone think of a game that falls within those parameters that has a good story and good controls? The only games I've considered so far are Halo and KOTOR, based solely on reading good things here.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old 12-26-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crimson Skies is a MUST own
Rainbow Six 3 is a great game

That is all for now.
Old 12-26-03, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crimson Skies
Metal Arms
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Armed and Dangerous
Burnout 2
KOTOR
Morrowind GOTY Edition
Voodoo Vince
Otogi
Old 12-26-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well sounds to me like you've picked two excellent games, in KOTOR and Halo. I strongly endorse both. They have gotten the bulk of my X-box playing time.

As stated by others Rainbow Six 3 (what I've played of it is pretty good). Same for Crimson Skies (again, what I've played of it), and both are Live enabled.

If you like a hack and slash type of dumbed down RPG then Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance is pretty good and can be had fairly cheaply.

Not sure if you are into driving games, but apparently Project Gotham Racing II is excellent according to reviews here and it is live enabled. I'm not really into driving games myself, so I do not have it.

Max Payne can be had fairly cheaply and I liked it pretty well. Its fairly short but can be had for about $15 with the Best Buy gamer coupons.

Last edited by sniper308; 12-26-03 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-27-03, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. I managed to find a nice used copy of KOTOR, and picked it and Halo up for about $60.
Of course, the gf picked up Buffy: Chaos Bleeds and hasn't let me play my games yet. Oh well.
Old 12-27-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I liked True Crime, but that's available on all 3 consoles. Same thing with Simpsons Hit and Run, which I'd also recommend.

Then again, lots of people complain about True Crime's controls, so I dunno.
Old 12-27-03, 04:17 AM
Bry
Cool New Member

Single player: Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell
Multiplayer on xbox live: Crimson Skies, Project Gotham Racing 2
Old 12-27-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Can't say enough good things about Crimson Skies. So I won't. But get it, especially if you're going to play online. Addictive as hell, and better than fruit cup.
Old 12-27-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True Crime is great... I'm playing through it right now. I think all the glitch complaints I've read are highly overstated.
Old 12-27-03, 08:07 PM

Well, I've gone through 2 copies of KOTOR so far and haven't found one that'll play yet. They both froze at the first load screen. All my other games work fine, so I'm not sure if I've got a bad X-Box or there's a bad shipment of KOTOR that Rhino got.
Old 12-28-03, 11:03 PM

Circuit City Deal...

With Circuit City's $20 off when you buy 3 games at $19.99 or more... I picked up some great XBOX Platinum Hits today.. Ghost Recon, Max Payne and Hitman 2... (got the 3 games for $40 + tax)I actually had to use the ad to pricematch at Best Buy because 2 CC's near me had the crappiest selection of Platinum Hits I'd ever seen...

I'd also reccomend, Medal of Honor ($15 at Target) and the Grand Teft Auto 2-pack (was $39 at Media Play)..

Crimson Skies is next on my list!!!

good luck!!!

Last edited by BlockbusterDude; 12-28-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-29-03, 08:44 AM

Found out my wife is buying me an x-box in the next week. I also headed over to target and picked up Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell. Any other great Live games to get on sale anywhere? I do plan on buying the Live kit after the 2 months of free service expires.
Old 12-29-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Can't say enough good things about Crimson Skies. So I won't. But get it, especially if you're going to play online. Addictive as hell, and better than fruit cup.
I cannot agree more! I normally hate flying games but Crimson Skies is by far one of the most addictive games I have played in a while.

It is one of those rare games that not only is the LIVE portion awesome but the single player game is great as well!
Old 12-29-03, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Its all about Halo, halo and more halo

You need to play this non stop so you are ready for Halo 2 in Feb or Mar or Apr or May of whenever it finally comes out
Old 12-29-03, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

SSX tricky can be a blast with a friend and with kids
Old 12-29-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CaptStormy
Found out my wife is buying me an x-box in the next week. I also headed over to target and picked up Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell. Any other great Live games to get on sale anywhere? I do plan on buying the Live kit after the 2 months of free service expires.
Well the buy 2 get one free XSN sports games deal at Best Buy is good if you like sports games. I think I saw Rainbow Six 3 on sale for $39.99 somewhere as well, can't remember where.
Old 12-30-03, 07:45 AM

Well, I gave up on finding a working copy of KOTOR. I decided to pick up the Return of the King game so that the gf and I would have a good co-op game we could play together.
bfrank- SSX Tricky is an excellent game, but I've already played through it and SSX 3 on Gamecube.
I am loving Halo so far, btw. I've got 2 months of Live for free that I'm gonna save for the sequel.
Old 12-30-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You should definitely find a good copy of KOTOR. It's a really fun, and addictive game. Keep trying, trust me, it's worth it
Old 12-30-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Banjo
Well, I've gone through 2 copies of KOTOR so far and haven't found one that'll play yet. They both froze at the first load screen. All my other games work fine, so I'm not sure if I've got a bad X-Box or there's a bad shipment of KOTOR that Rhino got.
I had similar problems with my copy of KOTOR. It would freeze up right after or during character creation. I got around it by taking the CD out, going into hard drive management, and deleting the save file that got created for KOTOR. I guess it somehow got corrupted, and caused the constant freezes. Anyway, once I deleted that, I popped the CD back in, and it worked like a charm.
Old 12-30-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my KOTOR. Which drive does your XBox run? I have the Samsung and haven't had any compatability issues. My brother's running a different one (Phillips, I think?) and can play without issues.

Perhaps they've got flu?
Old 12-30-03, 11:26 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you don't like sports, KOTOR and Halo are the only two I can reccomend, as that's all I've bought other than Madden.

Some other games I plan on picking up are Crimson Skies, Panzer Dragoon Orta and maybe Project Gotham Racing 2.

You might want to check out the first two if you're into shooters, and the third if you like arcade racing games.
Old 12-30-03, 02:14 PM

HALO!!!!!!!!

That's the only game you need, or ever will need (until Halo 2 comes out at least)