Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Michelle Branch and movie trailers

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching the trailer for The Prince and Me (sic), and halfway through it, I made a jokingly said to myself, "Cue the Michelle Branch music!"

Well, they did.

It occured to me that the exact same thing happened when I watched the trailer for "13 Going on 30", among others.

I guess Michelle Branch is the must-play music for all chick flicks. That's very interesting, but then again, it's not as if it seems out of place.

Discuss, please.
Old 12-25-03, 12:32 PM

A Maxim photoshoot and constant soundtrackage does not make for "musical integrity"
Old 12-26-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Maxim photoshoot"

But it does make for nice eye candy.......pics please
Old 12-26-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could be mistaken but alot of the times when they use her songs in commericals for movies, they're not actually on the soundtrack. I think as long as they pay the license fee, companies are free to use whatever music they want in commercials(I could be mistaken though). If that is the case, then it's not really under her control if her songs are getting used left in right in ads for chick flicks. It's Maverick who decides who to license.
I for one still think she's talented, and she's definately the most talented "popular" female performer to come around in the past 2 or 3 years.
Old 12-26-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by C_Fletch
"Maxim photoshoot"

But it does make for nice eye candy.......pics please
Do a search in Mature for "artistic integrity".
Old 12-26-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cardiff Giant
I could be mistaken but alot of the times when they use her songs in commericals for movies, they're not actually on the soundtrack. I think as long as they pay the license fee, companies are free to use whatever music they want in commercials(I could be mistaken though). If that is the case, then it's not really under her control if her songs are getting used left in right in ads for chick flicks. It's Maverick who decides who to license.
I for one still think she's talented, and she's definately the most talented "popular" female performer to come around in the past 2 or 3 years.
You make a good point, and I agree with you. It's just completely typical for any chick flick to feature Michelle Branch music in the trailer. She's trailer music.
Old 12-27-03, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Cardiff Giant

Being a huge fan of Ms. Branch I agree she is very talented musican writing her music and playing guitar, and its rather sad to see likes of Hilary Duff out sell Branch in record sales. She is also excellent to see live in concert.

I agree its Mavericks choice to put her music in trailers and not of Ms. Branch's, which I also have noticed is been quite a lot.
Old 12-27-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by sararekuforever
A Maxim photoshoot and constant soundtrackage does not make for "musical integrity"
She is a very talented performer who happens to be hot. No harm there. People don't give male performers as much shit when they show their bodies. I smell a double standard.
Old 12-27-03, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by bsktballDude1
Being a huge fan of Ms. Branch I agree she is very talented musican writing her music and playing guitar, and its rather sad to see likes of Hilary Duff out sell Branch in record sales. She is also excellent to see live in concert.

I agree its Mavericks choice to put her music in trailers and not of Ms. Branch's, which I also have noticed is been quite a lot.
Umm, no.

Hilary Duff is barely 16. She has no talent at all. Every one of her first songs, "I can't wait", "Why not", "Tell Me A Story", "What Dreams Ar used computer filters exclusively to make her voice better.

After the filiming of Lizzie McGuire movie, and also, the end of the television series, she dedicated herself exclusively to the recording of her album: taking voice lessons, meeting with producers, helping with lyrics, and learning the limits and identity of her voice.

"Metamorphosis" is an impressive recording considering the person who recorded it. The better tracks, "Little Voice", "Come Clean", "Anywhere But Here", are quite impressive, and if she continues on that path she can do a whole lot more. And if she really loves this music thing, as she says, and applies herself, it can't even be said what she could do.

Add the fact that she's young, and could love music so much now to the point of taking the time to learn an instrument, music theory, and drill with voice classes..and Hilary can be way more than Michelle could ever be. Already Hilary is showing inflections, styles, and mannerism in her voice that most English pop singers do not have. The first album is quite nice background music for a lazy Saturday, and the really good tracks deserve to be listened to.

And all this comes from someone who used to completely hate Hilary Duff, she's done her homework and given it her all, and it shows.

And hopefully, Michelle Branch will be washed up, because I really don't want to see her succeed ever.
Old 12-27-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by sararekuforever
Umm, no.

Hilary Duff is barely 16. She has no talent at all. Every one of her first songs, "I can't wait", "Why not", "Tell Me A Story", "What Dreams Ar used computer filters exclusively to make her voice better.

After the filiming of Lizzie McGuire movie, and also, the end of the television series, she dedicated herself exclusively to the recording of her album: taking voice lessons, meeting with producers, helping with lyrics, and learning the limits and identity of her voice.

"Metamorphosis" is an impressive recording considering the person who recorded it. The better tracks, "Little Voice", "Come Clean", "Anywhere But Here", are quite impressive, and if she continues on that path she can do a whole lot more. And if she really loves this music thing, as she says, and applies herself, it can't even be said what she could do.

Add the fact that she's young, and could love music so much now to the point of taking the time to learn an instrument, music theory, and drill with voice classes..and Hilary can be way more than Michelle could ever be. Already Hilary is showing inflections, styles, and mannerism in her voice that most English pop singers do not have. The first album is quite nice background music for a lazy Saturday, and the really good tracks deserve to be listened to.

And all this comes from someone who used to completely hate Hilary Duff, she's done her homework and given it her all, and it shows.

And hopefully, Michelle Branch will be washed up, because I really don't want to see her succeed ever.
Well you are all over the place here. #1) If you think Hillary Duff has any degree of talent, your opinion of music has zero credibility with me. #2) Branch has two platinum albums. That's called "succeeding".

It's quite clear there are other issues pushing your opinions of Duff and Branch. Most likely it's that Branch pushes her sexuality (and is actually attractive, because quite frankly I'd rather have a can of Duff beer than Duff herself). I was surprised to see Branch in Maxim, but why not? I guarantee you she sold 100K albums the week it came out. That's business sweetheart, and just because she's smart enough to capitalize on it doesn't mean she's a whore. And if you think that Duff not being involved in every teeny-bopper POS she can get her chunky little hands on not the same thing, you need to sit down and think about it harder.
Old 12-27-03, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Well you are all over the place here. #1) If you think Hillary Duff has any degree of talent, your opinion of music has zero credibility with me. #2) Branch has two platinum albums. That's called "succeeding".

It's quite clear there are other issues pushing your opinions of Duff and Branch. Most likely it's that Branch pushes her sexuality (and is actually attractive, because quite frankly I'd rather have a can of Duff beer than Duff herself). I was surprised to see Branch in Maxim, but why not? I guarantee you she sold 100K albums the week it came out. That's business sweetheart, and just because she's smart enough to capitalize on it doesn't mean she's a whore. And if you think that Duff not being involved in every teeny-bopper POS she can get her chunky little hands on not the same thing, you need to sit down and think about it harder.
No, because getting a platinum record does not imply being on top forever. Countless of teen pop singers and hip hop artists have platinum records, and that doesn't mean they'll have staying power and be known forever.

Michelle Branch [as well as Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton, and every "anti Britney" or "rock chick" the American media pedals around] is doing what countless of Mexican, Spanish, and Japanese artists have been doing for years. It's not new, it's not extraordinary, and like most things in top 40 culture, momentary. More than anything, it's true, Michelle did it way before even Britney [nearly stripping for the camera on a huge magazine], and that's saying a lot [about who Michelle is]

Most of all, show me how Hilary puts herself on every teenie bopper "POS" known to man? One album, a Christmas CD not marketed obviously for her fanbase, and two songs for her own TV show does not equal to "everything". A role on Cheaper by the Dozen, the Lizzie McGuire movie, an almost cameo role on Agent Cody Banks, and a role that most people otherwise don't remember [Casper Meets Wendy] isn't that much either

Unless there's a dozen movies with her and 10 records, then show them to me, because I sure don't want to miss out.
Old 12-27-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I suppose you somehow forget how many times her videos are on MTV, VH1, even Disney and Nick! Her endless promos, her fat face staring at me constantly, she's on every magazine cover, her "fashion sense" (note to Duff - learn how to dress with the light on). Face it, this girl is Ms. It for pre-teen girls right now, and she's a marketing boon and she is everywhere.

And about that "Michelle nearly stripping for the camera on a huge magazine before Britney"...I guess you somehow missed that RS cover and photo spread huh? At least Michelle is 18+ when she did it.